New shots with Phase One back

P

Pook

Just thought I'd share some test shots I've been doing of my other half. All taken with a Horseman Digiflex II and a Phase One H5 back. Nikkor 35-70 2.8D.

104.jpg

Below is a link to the full res compressed TIFF. I'd post the raw, but so far, only the phase one software can dev the raws, and Adobe offer no support with their CS RAW plug-in... the gits. The TIFF is NOT 56k friendly.

full res tiff

I've seen higher res images from the DCS14n I used to use, but the quality of the tones, colour and the well controlled aliasing of the hair shows where the extra money of the H5 back goes, even if it IS lower res.

EDIT: Just realised the image is slightly larger than recommended in teh sticky... it's 800 pixels on longest side, and around 180k I think... only slightly larger than recommended... hope you don't mind

wow cool! so that camera is a medium format camera is it? that a proper studio thing then???(shows total lack of knowledge!)

Digital SPG said:
You are as baffled as i am then Matt?

Nice portrait though.

It's a dedicated camera body designed to take digital backs from various manufacturers. It uses a Nikon F mount, so most Nikon lenses fit it. The Phase one back is a digital camera back of around 14mega pixels, and a chip slightly larger than 35mm. So the resolution (in terms of lens resolution.. circle of confusion and all that) is not quite up to medium format standards, but it's not far off. It's not a film camera... it's digital.

More on teh Horseman can be found here

More on Phase One camera backs can be found here.

Thanks for the kind words :D

aha, thats cleared it up...

very picturesque other half you have Mr Pook!

EosD said:
aha, thats cleared it up...

very picturesque other half you have Mr Pook!

Thanks.. will pass your comments on :D

The only problem with that system is it needs to be tethered to a computer via a firewire, so it's a studio only system.

That's a great portrait, David. And great gear too, by all accounts! Nice one!

Nice one, we use a Contax body with Carl Zeiss primes at work with a phase 1 back also tethered by firewire :p It's quite an "extraordinary" bit of kit!

mrk said:
Nice one, we use a Contax body with Carl Zeiss primes at work with a phase 1 back also tethered by firewire :p It's quite an "extraordinary" bit of kit!

wow look, Robbie speaks photography too! :?

Nice - we should be getting the D2Xs soon at work (sooner if I 'break' a D1x soon) and I'll post a couple of images when we do.
To be honest, unless you enlarge up to A1 or A0, then I've found the D1x perfectly acceptable. I can get good photo-quality images up to A2 and beyond using RAW/NEF files processed in Photoshop and printed on a Kodak Pegasus LED II printer (only £150,000 new, but about £20,000 used, I think).

As I don't have a website as yet (it's coming along...) you'll have to wait until this site can be used to upload direct.

You will notice that we have now created a free gallery for our members to use. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please contact EosD via EMAIL at eosd@thephotographyforums.com stating your forum name and a password that you would like to use for the gallery access. An account will be set up for you and all login details will be provided in the return email. The space is intended to offer you a place to display your own work and be able to link to our forums to receive praise, critique and words of admiration from the other forum members. Obviously you can also offer friends and families a link to view your photos too.

You can Mr Arkady :D

what he said! ^^^^^^^^^

And if you want any help wtih your website, i will help you out for free!

Back