new sigma 180mm

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Wanting to replace my 190mm macro lens options canon 180mm f3.5 L or the new sigma 180mm 2.8 os?
any one used these lenses?

If you have the money then I would place bets that the sigma is the best of the lot.

just a simple question - as a Macro lens why would you want to build an f2.8 lens?

The Canon 180mm is the sharpest of all Canons Macro lenses. I've tried it recently, but don't own one. Very nice lens and good working distance. No experience of Sigma.

As for Bills question, wide apertures have there uses, eg flowers, where you want to throw a lot of the image oof. Most macro lenses are f2.8.

The Canon 180mm is the sharpest of all Canons Macro lenses. I've tried it recently, but don't own one. Very nice lens and good working distance. No experience of Sigma.

As for Bills question, wide apertures have there uses, eg flowers, where you want to throw a lot of the image oof. Most macro lenses are f2.8.

I would have thought that a very good macro lens that started at f8 could be produced "cheaply" - most insect and dragonfly shots need f11+ DOF

I use my Nikon 105 f2.8 VR micro @ f2.8, f5.6 etc., more for "portrait" shots …… and would never really use it at f2.8 or even f5.6 for a macro shot

I have the 180 os Sigma very good lens not just as a macro ,focus is alittle slower than the canon but just as sharp and os .Shame your not nearer as you could have use mine to test.

Thanks for the offer a friend is going to send me his sigma 150mm os to try so maybe that's a cheaper option to look at

The sigma 150mm is a cracking lens I've had mine for a few months now and love it but I am lead to believe the 180mm is better if it is it will be spectacular

I have the Canon 180 and its a great lens,heavy and built like a tank and gives great working distance (if that's what your after) use extension tubes to get you closer when needed.

Clive.

No mention of the Tamron 180 macro, I bought this as half the price of the Canon and good reviews when I checked before purchasing. Extremely pleased with it.

I would have thought that a very good macro lens that started at f8 could be produced "cheaply" - most insect and dragonfly shots need f11+ DOF

I use my Nikon 105 f2.8 VR micro @ f2.8, f5.6 etc., more for "portrait" shots …… and would never really use it at f2.8 or even f5.6 for a macro shot

I know what you mean Bill most macro is done at F8 or thereabouts but I often go wider for effect especially for close-ups rather than 1:1
I have done stuff at F3.2 even once at 2.8 !
but it took a bit of setting up to get the butterfly exactly parallel :D

I have only used the Canon 180mm once, at Park Cameras in London. I also used the 150mm Sigma macro and both are very good lenses. As for needing f/2.8 I think it's because the assumption is that you'll want to use this as a multi-purpose lens - I certainly use my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro more as a portrait/general photography lens than for macro - and f/2.8 is very important here.

I had the Tamron 180mm on my Nikon.When I changed to Olympus I bought the Sigma 150mm.Both are excellent lenses.Reccomended.

The reason for F2.8 may be to allow enough light for focussing , although most shots are taken at smaller apertures. Try focussing while holding depth of field preview to see what I mean. Most subjects are not well lit at macro distance.

The reason for F2.8 may be to allow enough light for focussing , although most shots are taken at smaller apertures. Try focussing while holding depth of field preview to see what I mean. Most subjects are not well lit at macro distance.

f8 should be OK and I think the more you get into macros and close up the more you use a flash of some kind, even the built in flash on the camera

what I am suggesting, because wide lens are so expensive to build, a very good macro lens could be built less expensively if a higher minimum aperture was used, that's all

f8 should be OK and I think the more you get into macros and close up the more you use a flash of some kind, even the built in flash on the camera

what I am suggesting, because wide lens are so expensive to build, a very good macro lens could be built less expensively if a higher minimum aperture was used, that's all

Look at all the low f number lenses what is the best sharpness/IQ aperture it is f4 - 8 depending on the optics of course so to make a lens just f8 it wouldn't start as sharp as these f2.8 as you need the large glass to make it sharp at f8 which then in turn would mean that the f8 lens would cost the same.

Just food for thought. :D

Back