New Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX DG/HSM

S

Steve

New Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX DG/HSM

Sigma have today announced a DG version of their HUGE 800mm monster lens. Newly updated and featuring a fast maximum aperture, the ultra telephoto lens is now optimised for digital SLR cameras

This ultra-telephoto lens is designed to optimize the characteristics of digital SLR cameras and features a new multi layer lens coating.

Incorporating two Extraordinary Low Dispersion glass elements to reduce chromatic aberration to a minimum and ensure sharp, quality images. The overall length of the lens does not change during focusing, ensuring convenient handling and ease of use. The Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures an ultra-quiet, high-speed AF function as well as full-time manual focusing capability for Sigma, Canon, and Nikon mount lenses. A 46mm filter can be inserted near the rear of the lens, and a circular polarising filter can be used in situ.

By adding a 1.4x EX APO teleconverter (optional extra), you can use this lens as a 1120mm F8 MF ultra-telephoto lens or as a 1600mm F11 MF ultra-telephoto lens with a 2.0x EX APO teleconverter.

800mm-F5.6-EX-DGsml.jpg

Two Extraordinary Low Dispersion (ELD) glass elements produce excellent image quality.

Accepts APO EX Tele-Converters. The lens can be used as a 1600mm ultra-telephoto lens when used with the 2X APO EX Tele-Converter.

New multi layer lens coating is very effective with digital cameras, minimises flare and ghost.

THE SPECIFICATIONS

Focal Length :800mm
Minimum Aperture :F32
Lens Construction :12 Elements in 9 Groups
Angle of View :3.1°
Number of Diaphragm Blades :9pcs
Minimum Focusing Distance :700cm (275.6”)
Maximum Magnification :1:8.8
Filter Size :46mm (drop-in type)
Lens Hood :Bayonet Hood
Dimensions : Diameter 156.5mm(6.2”) x Length 521mm (20.5”)
Weight :4900gr/172.8oz
Fittings :confused:igma, Canon and Nikon-D (Pentax and Konica/Minolta TBA).
SRP :£4499.99

If you want to view this monster in full size I have uploaded a scale picture here

I must admit that the lens did give us some excellent pictures but its a monster!! I wouldn't carry it anywhere if I owned one and paying out £4500 is way beyound my means.

For the extreamly serious amature and professionals with a need for a long lens its a supurb piece of kit, but for the normal blokes like you and me its beyound our needs.

just my 2p :)

Canon 300mm F4 L IS USM is very high on my wish list, its been there for a while and will stay there for the forseable future as well. I would love it but it is just not practicle at the moment as I class it as a luxury that I cant justify currently.

Back