New to Birding

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this form of photography and would like some advice. I shoot the Sony a7r3 and have been looking at the Sony 100-400mm and Sony 200-600mm lens. Would one be beneficial over the over ? I am leaning towards the 200-600mm.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and the reasons behind them as this is going to be my biggest outlay on any single lens. TIA.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this form of photography and would like some advice. I shoot the Sony a7r3 and have been looking at the Sony 100-400mm and Sony 200-600mm lens. Would one be beneficial over the over ? I am leaning towards the 200-600mm.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and the reasons behind them as this is going to be my biggest outlay on any single lens. TIA.

Hi Andy, I have both lenses and to be fair, I find myself leaning always to the Sony FE 200-600mm on my A7riii or a7Riv - the 100-400mm is a fabulous lens just lacks the reach for bird photography - unless you want to spend an additional £500 on a 1.4x Teleconverter??

Happy to answer any question relating to these lenses if required ?

I do use the 100-400mm for larger insects- like this

xmIvIj2.jpg

Personally I would recommend the FE 200-600mm

for images like this- large -ish crop but the 42mp / 61mp are a bonus

DSC07513 Oh this water IS cold by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the 200-600mm.
It's a fantastic lens. If you get it, you'll unlikely wish you'd got the 100-400mm, but if you get the 100-400mm you'll likely at some point wish you'd got the 200-600mm....

I also find I have great success hand holding my 200-600mm, much more than when I had my D7000 and Sigma 150-600mm.....

@Lez325 I was leaning towards the 200-600mm so your input is appreciated. One question I would like to ask is Ive seen so many reviews but they almost always have the a9 mounted to the lens, will my a7r3 cope well with this lens or should I consider upgrading to the a7r4 which I know was a significant upgrade from a7r3? I’ve not used that many long lens/camera combo’s so just want to cover my bases as this will probably be my last purchase for a while....

@Lez325 I was leaning towards the 200-600mm so your input is appreciated. One question I would like to ask is Ive seen so many reviews but they almost always have the a9 mounted to the lens, will my a7r3 cope well with this lens or should I consider upgrading to the a7r4 which I know was a significant upgrade from a7r3? I’ve not used that many long lens/camera combo’s so just want to cover my bases as this will probably be my last purchase for a while....
I used my 200-600mm with an A7 before I got the A9. The af was slow but I got great results with birds etc, just not anything fast moving.
You're A7Riii will be streets ahead of my A7.....

Last edited:
Not Sony but I have 400mm and 600mm on Canon and I always reach for the 600 when it comes to wildlife and even that sometimes falls too short.

For birds you will likely want 600mm over 400mm of the 100-400mm. As long as you’re happy with the size and weight of the 200-600 it will likely be the best fit for your needs. for birds the only benefit of the 100-400 + 1.4TC would be its smaller size and weight if weight is really an issue.

The A7R3 should be ok. I’d test it out yourself rather than go by what others say. One thing to be aware of of is there were reports of some people having an issue with the A7R4 and 200-600 playing nicely together. Not sure if that’s been sorted out or not yet.

One of the reasons why many pair the A9 and 200-600 together is because they are both seen by many as the best camera and lens option for hobby wildlife photographers. The A9 is much more affordable camera option than a Sony 600mm f4 lens is hence people paired the two together.

Hi Andy the image above of the Little Egret was shot on the A7Riii its a very capable camera and twinned with the 200-600mmlens is an awesome force, my a7Riv is a better camera and has 61mp , ideal to crop those distant shots

Given the choice ( if I were you) I would opt for the 200-600mm and the a7Riv or if funds allow Sony a9 ( my next camera hopefully is the Sony a9ii )- just got to save a bit longer- I did consider the Sony 600mm f4 to pair with either of my Sony bodies, but it cost £12,000, so not realistic for a hobby photographer

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Definitely the 200-600mm and A9 over the A7Riv.
The A9 & A9ii are far superior to the A7Riii & iv in autofocus performance for birds in flight. If you're only going to do 'birds on sticks' and slow moving stuff, there's nothing at all wrong with the A7Riii.

Last edited:
I agree- however: lets not discount the Sony a7Riii as slow- plus the cost of an a9ii is expensive to say the least.

I manged to grab a shot of this Golden Plover with my a7Riii and lets be fair, this bird is no slouch :)

DSC07439 GOLDEN PLOVER by Les Moxon, on Flickr

I agree- however: lets not discount the Sony a7Riii as slow- plus the cost of an a9ii is expensive to say the least.

I manged to grab a shot of this Golden Plover with my a7Riii and lets be fair, this bird is no slouch :)

DSC07439 GOLDEN PLOVER by Les Moxon, on Flickr

I think that’s a very fair comment Les, but the A7 will not be as consistently good as the A9.

I think that’s a very fair comment Les, but the A7 will not be as consistently good as the A9.

Oh I agree, but it seems the OP has a budget and don't get me wrong Malcolm, I would love an a9 - a9ii but my budget won't stretch to one just yet and do I really need one in my life?? a7Riii & a7Riv seem to suit what I do.

I could , maybe sell the cars or re-mortgage the house, be a shame as I have just finished paying it off. :LOL:

Oh I agree, but it seems the OP has a budget and don't get me wrong Malcolm, I would love an a9 - a9ii but my budget won't stretch to one just yet and do I really need one in my life?? a7Riii & a7Riv seem to suit what I do.

I could , maybe sell the cars or re-mortgage the house, be a shame as I have just finished paying it off. :LOL:

There's always equity release !! :D

Back