New to edits

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I have only recently started to play about editing my pictures and was just after some feedback as to what you thought!
Frost morning 1.5.jpg

A frosty morning.

Death Valley 2.jpg

Death Valley

Bodie 1.jpg

Bodie State Park

Big Sur.jpg

Big Sur California

The first 2 shots are pleasing, especially the 2nd (Although horizon needs straightening). Its difficult to comment on your PP without knowing what you've changed and what you were going for?
For me the 3rd is overcooked quite a bit, and not really to my taste, and the fourth is nicely composed but looks a little soft on my screen.

I'd have to agree with Paul.

I'd have to agree with Ken.

Thanks for the feedback.Yes the third picture I agree with I was trying to make the car stand out more in the picture but as it is all green (the picture) I struggled to make it happen.The final picture I had lots of glare off the sea so I haven't done too much with that picture just tried to bring the Color through a bit more however if I posted the originals you would see the difference.Thanks again these are literally the first few pictures I have edited on photoshop with no guidence so I guess I am just trying to get feedback on the whole in regards to if they are to people's taste generally.

Does it matter if they are to other people's taste?
People might mention that when you ask, but it is more about the technical side that they are trying to help you with.

My pick is No 1 personally I love that, I love the light and the path leading you off to the sunrise, mist and frost work very well.
No 2 yes needs a tickle up level those strong diagonals work very well, together with the sunburst and really like the smooth gradients in the sand with gorgeous golden colours.
No 3 interesting bit like a black cat in a coal mine, trying to make that old pickup pop, personally the central composition doesn't help I'd possibly crop the RH side up to the second shack and loose some of the foreground in fact that takes it to almost a square crop with the truck on the RH third line. The grass seems a little over cooked too although to quite like those threatening clouds. Alternatively if you wanted something a little different two identical layers turn the bottom layer to black and white and a layer mask the truck so all your background is black and white and the truck is colour popped.
Not something I would usually advocate but if you wanted something a little different ......
No 4 is a little soft and horizon again and isn't a bad shot ... Was it shot hand held?

Ken, I guess it's nice to see that other people enjoy your efforts and as I am new to this and see some amazing pictures on here it's nice to think that I am producing something that gets positive feedback and its great to get pointers where I can improve!

Steve, Thank you for the feedback in regards to the black and white idea it was something I thought about. The main problem I suffered was the fact that I am basically teaching myself along the way and the 3 months I spent in America I was on a budget and didn't really know much about layering pictures and how editing works so generally took photos and checked them on the camera then deleted the not so good looking ones to keep free space as I was camping,living out of a car. Basically I would take a few pictures then look and if I was happy that would do.I am extremely new to using manual settings on my camera so although I had a good idea what to do in regards to shutter speeds,ISO,aperture etc that was as far as my knowledge goes and I only got to see how pictures looked on a computer once I returned home with 3000 odd pictures! I had dirt on my sensor the whole time which I only found once home.
The first picture was 3 pictures layered and the first time I had shot with that in mind a couple of weeks ago. Of the 4 pictures only the first frosty one is shot with a tripod the rest were all handheld.

Hi there Sam, we have all been there for sure, so we know the situation. There's always a lot to learn even if you have been at it for some time and I thing that's one of the most appealing (and sometimes frustrating) things about Photography. We have the advantage now with Digital that we can take many more frames than we would have done with film and then manipulate then if we need to when we get home.

PP (post production) is another skill completely, and fortunately the internet and endless tutorials are available on line (some good, some not so good). Lightroom and especially Photoshop are intensive tools to learn, especially as they always add more and more options. Fortunately the core tools of these products stay much the same. If you need to do something there's always someone that's posted a tutorial somewhere! Also in some cases there is more than one way to get to the same end. Photoshop now is becoming more Non-destructive (you can undo any edits without permanently altering or destroying pixels) if you use it correctly but watch out as it still can be destructive.

My Son did a similar trip (Route 66) across the States (very Jealous) and when you get back with a LOT of photos it's a bit bewildering isn't it:eek:. Coming back after a trip like that and processing a lot of shots can be time consuming, but as you do it look back and enjoy the memory's too! Be subtle with your processing and it will bring great benefits, I bet you have some great shots(y)

If you want to get into photography and I'll assume you do if your here, learning to use that camera manually will make you king! You will find that on a number of occasions the cameras sensors will lie to you and knowing how to compensate for that is where knowing manual settings is key. But you will have your hands full and a lot to learn, the good thing is you have arrived here and I think this is probably the best Photographic forum there is, there are a lot of brilliant photographers on here and most will help you.

I'm sure you will find you will improve in leaps and bounds and you'll enjoy it along the way (although it can be frustrating sometimes). Anyhow enough of my waffle.
Cheers Steve

Steve, Thanks again for your feedback its safe to say the auto settings are very much unused on my camera now! I do need to watch some tutorials as I am one of these people who likes to try themselves first before looking for help but with a field of depth like editing there is only so far you can go before you need the experts! thanks again,
Sam

Well....I agree that the Death Valley Shot needs straightening!
Having been to Bodie a few times, once in spring, I can attest to the fact that when the greenery does come through with the spring rains...it really is eye-bleedingly green. The squally sky is great.
The Big Sur shot isn't grabbing me for some reason.
I do like the frost shot a lot. The foreground shadows might be liften a little too much, but only a tad.

The 2nd one is by far and away my favourite, great light and the starburst is nice. Needs a rotate to the left, mind.

Back