New to landscapes blending question

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
I am new to landscape photography having spent several years shooting wildlife i am now changing my style and i am finding out it is a different style alltogether.
I am not in a position to spend lots of money on up to date imaging software so i am still using photoshop cs5 that i purchased several years back.
I am not and never was fully conversant with it ,but for my bird images i got by.
Anyway i am now shooting landscapes and do a lot of bracketing. I need to find out a good and possibly not too complex way of combining my bracketed images in pc cs5.
So if anyone can point me in the right direction or any tips for combining /blending or whatever the correct term is.
In cs5 there is a menu for hdr but i dont want to use hdr .Thanks for any help or comments you may have.

Why do you not want to use HDR? As with all processing, you do not have to push sliders all the way across. If you use a delicate touch with HDR, no one (including yourself) can tell HDR was used.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, the major hassle of landscape is getting up early, finding the good light, being in the right place.

If you need to do major PP then you’ve not got the right shot in the first place...

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, the major hassle of landscape is getting up early, finding the good light, being in the right place.

If you need to do major PP then you’ve not got the right shot in the first place...

I just can't agree with that last comment - if you shoot raw (which you should, when shooting landscapes) then you immediately have an element of PP. Bracketing can lead to having to do plenty of PP to get the balance right, depending on how harsh the sun is etc, if you want to produce decent sunstars can sometimes lead to more complex PP.

Who said the OP isn’t getting up early or staying out late?

Getting up early has never been a problem to me as i have always done this.I have always shot raw and lately is sold my 1d mk 1v and bought a 5dmk111 for landscapes.
When i try to open the mk111 raw files in cs5 it says viewer does not support these raw files ,so i have to revert to ding ,Now when i open the ding files in Photoshop i get a warning that some of the detail may be lost.
Im not a technical bloke but im not sure if this is loosing some of the image quality also.Sorry for draging this out but i go out ,shoot a few landscape shots using timer and bracket mode they look pretty good on display.
I know the display is only a guide .So get home and then start trying to blend/combine or whatever its called and they turn out ....not very good. Thanks nostromo ill check it out.

No expert here. I'm not a good landscape photographer at all but when I bracket stuff in cs6 I just stack the images and use layer masks and brush to reaveal the areas required. If it is hard to get a transition right eg where sky to land meets I will use the easy panel (Jimmy Mclntyre) which is a free ad on and works very well indeed.

Gaz

Back