New to Printing - I'm addicted!

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't normally post up threads like these but I thought it was worthwhile doing so to encourage those sat on the fence about taking the plunge to do it.

I've wanted a printer for well over 18 months but haven't really had the disposable income since carrying out a number of DIY projects around the house. However, I was given some Amazon vouchers so decided to put it towards a Canon IP8750; space and funds dictated I couldn't buy any of the pro series printers.

I ordered Permajet - Test Pack 1 from Cardiff Camera Centre and began printing in earnest. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and seeing my photographs come out of the printer was something to behold.

I printed the two astro images I took earlier on this week on Permajet Titanium paper. The result - in my opinion - is phenomenal, the shiny silver surface works beautifully for astro images. I also printed some photos of my son on the Oyster 271 papers and was well impressed with that too.

Hopefully this post will encourage others sat on the fence to take up printing their own images, I'm so glad I did. I'm addicted.

James

Last edited:
Heh. Nice to read the same excitement I had when I first printed.

(y)

Lol.

qj4qr5c.jpg

And that's just F to O :)

I’ve just started printing on the IP8750 at home as well. I’d heard that the Canon Pro Lustre was a decent paper to go with, so have been using that for a few prints, but I have some Astro shots that I want to get done at A3, so interested to hear that the titanium paper shows well. I’ll have to do some looking into that.
I’m currently spending time mentally dividing wall space up into sectors for different shots.
I’ve been using the A4 black frames and mounts from the Works which are great value for money. However, I don’t think their A3 sized frames are quite right for a borderless A3 print. Have you come across any good frames at A3 for borderless.
It’s great to see shots translate into print - I’m glad I’m not the only one getting stuck into this. The IP8750 is cracking value for money, I’ve not noticed much difference from prints done on a pixma pro100 tbh

I bought a test pack of Canon papers, heard similar good things about pro lustre, didn't do it for me though, not keen on the texture.
Tried a Fotospeed trial pack too, but in the end decided I liked good old Permajet Oyster 271 the best for my everyday prints.
If I were buying new would probably get the IP8750, but already got a Pro 10 so will stick with that until it conks out

Have you come across any good frames at A3 for borderless.
I haven't started looking from frames yet. I did order some for some photographs we had taken by a studio earlier this year. I'd ordered the frames and mounts off Amazon, they were cheap but they looked the part. I think they were from Frames by Post.

James

I’ve just started printing on the IP8750 at home as well. I’d heard that the Canon Pro Lustre was a decent paper to go with, so have been using that for a few prints, but I have some Astro shots that I want to get done at A3, so interested to hear that the titanium paper shows well. I’ll have to do some looking into that.
I’m currently spending time mentally dividing wall space up into sectors for different shots.
I’ve been using the A4 black frames and mounts from the Works which are great value for money. However, I don’t think their A3 sized frames are quite right for a borderless A3 print. Have you come across any good frames at A3 for borderless.
It’s great to see shots translate into print - I’m glad I’m not the only one getting stuck into this. The IP8750 is cracking value for money, I’ve not noticed much difference from prints done on a pixma pro100 tbh

Matty, try Hobbycraft out at Teesside Park (assuming your still living locally :LOL:). They have a pretty good selection of frames. Either that or the Range at Portrack Lane.

Cheers,

Simon.

FWIW

I have bought Ikea Kibba (wracks brains ~ are they Kibba?) frames when they had glass not acrylic.......................but and this is IMO the key I have had mounts cut to suit my picture sizes with the outer dimensions to fit, as appropriate the Kibba frames.

So in future I will be looking at the likes of Ikea, Hobbycraft, Range & Wilko again for frames.

PS not sure it has been mentioned (sorry if I have missed it ;) ) but if using mounts make sure to print with at least a 25mm border so that you can "T-hinge" attach them to the mount plus my recommendation is to use a backboard. Doing this will ensure the print will not buckle and the whole will last a nice long time :)

PPS you are printing onto quality papers with quality inks..........so by all means skimp a bit on the frames but use good quality mountboard and T-hinge to complete them.

Last edited:
FWIW

I have bought Ikea Kibba (wracks brains ~ are they Kibba?) frames when they had glass not acrylic.......................but and this is IMO the key I have had mounts cut to suit my picture sizes with the outer dimensions to fit, as appropriate the Kibba frames.

So in future I will be looking at the likes of Ikea, Hobbycraft, Range & Wilko again for frames.

PS not sure it has been mentioned (sorry if I have missed it ;) ) but if using mounts make sure to print with at least a 25mm border so that you can "T-hinge" attach them to the mount plus my recommendation is to use a backboard. Doing this will ensure the print will not buckle and the whole will last a nice long time :)

PPS you are printing onto quality papers with quality inks..........so by all means skimp a bit on the frames but use good quality mountboard and T-hinge to complete them.

Ribba ;)

Matty, try Hobbycraft out at Teesside Park (assuming your still living locally :LOL:). They have a pretty good selection of frames. Either that or the Range at Portrack Lane.

Cheers,

Simon.

Cheers Simon, I’m on first name terms with the people at the range in Darlo. Just need to find some more walls for printing stuff for myself as quite a few have gone elsewhere. Thanks buddy, hope you’re well

Back