New to printing

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
It's recently dawned on me how little (i.e none) I print and most of my images are viewed on screen or instagram and I guess that's not really the point. So I'd like to print a few of my recent favourites, hang them for a month or so and critque them. I also have zero knowledge of printing things properly - i had a quick search for a quick one stop guide but found nothing.

So, first question then, and I have no idea if this is a stupid question or not...

Is it ok to print an image where parts of the image are solid black, e.g. there are no details? how does the printer react to that and does it print ok, or must there be some detail

Hi Ben,

It's fine to print sold black. That's what the edges are. Most printers have a black cart, and that's what the printer puts down if it's black.

You don't say how you're doing your prints. Yourself or third party?

Black areas print OK, the lack of detail is not a problem.
Depending on your printer the black may not be really really black.

Thanks Ian - I was planning on using a lab, either DSCL or Loxley. Is there lab you recommend?

Not really. I print my own. I actualy got comparison prints done at Ilford, Loxley and DSCL about 10 years ago. Took all three in to college and no one could tell the difference (or was willing to state with certainty!)

I think print quality is excellent in proper labs these days. The tricky bit is getting a print back that looks like your screen. Typical monitors are backlit and are therefore much brighter than the "front" lit physical print. You can calibrate your screen to compensate for this, but before splashing on a load of money, I'd get some test prints done. Get some small versions of your big plans. If loxley send you back perfect replicas of your screen and DSCL don't, then you can try and figure it out just use the one that works :) One of the most common threads on here is "why are my prnits dark?"

Not really. I print my own. I actualy got comparison prints done at Ilford, Loxley and DSCL about 10 years ago. Took all three in to college and no one could tell the difference (or was willing to state with certainty!)

I think print quality is excellent in proper labs these days. The tricky bit is getting a print back that looks like your screen. Typical monitors are backlit and are therefore much brighter than the "front" lit physical print. You can calibrate your screen to compensate for this, but before splashing on a load of money, I'd get some test prints done. Get some small versions of your big plans. If loxley send you back perfect replicas of your screen and DSCL don't, then you can try and figure it out just use the one that works :) One of the most common threads on here is "why are my prnits dark?"
Awesome - thanks for your advice

I've had good results from DSCL, never used Loxley but I'm sure they do a good job. The postage cost is far more than the print if you go for C-type so it's worth waiting until you've got a few to print and then getting them all done at once.

Back