Critique New to wedding photography

Edit My Images
No
After Dipping my toe into weddings last year, I really enjoyed it, the customers were more than happy with the images which is what it is all about and I learned many lessons just in those few weddings I did.

Now I know I am no where near the level of some of you guys, but I do feel they are of a good standard and good value, but would appreciate some feedback on a selection of my images, these were all taken on a D5100 which Ive since upgraded to a d7100 and actually now looking to move to FF with the D750.

Anyway, I know there isnt any OMG they are are amazing shots in here, I was mainly concentrating on getting the main images, and will probably look to experiement as I gain more experience, but any feedback or advice towards a newbie would be most appreciated.

10547058_327092310800197_7323417336655452056_o.jpg

10572094_327092190800209_8862302401086639828_o.jpg

10547741_327092837466811_7756081129076923165_o.jpg

10400871_327093134133448_2881249323745748659_n.jpg

10604488_318608714981890_6614643777793997280_o.jpg

A question for you, if I may, before I offer any critique.

Are you hoping to cater for a very conservative market? Or perhaps a niche market for retro wedding photography?

Just going for the general market, I like to have a mix of pictures, personally I prefer the more natural images taken from a distance rather than set up posed ones but a lot will come down to what the customer wants.

I think what Dan is getting at - these photos, particularly the white vignette look and feel slightly old fashioned.

OK then ... speaking as a retired wedding snapper and ignoring the processing ...

#1 Nicely executed

#2 So's this one, but in future beware glasses on the slosh and tops of frames going across eyeballs ;)

#3 Fine for what it is, but don't fall into the newbie wedding snapper trap of taking snaps of cute kids for no reason other than you see what looks like a nice picture of a cute kid

#4 See above + it looks soft to me

#5 Well caught but why the tilt? Framing it conventionally would have made it easier to read and you'd have been able to lose that door-closer.

#6 At least 50% of brides will do just that at least twice when doing a "walk towards me" shot. The way forward is to wait until she's looked down, then take your picture

#7 Excellent. You'll take quite a few more confetti shots before you get a better one. Do beware of the low angle emphasising double chins, though.

#8 Looks a bit soft to me, but otherwise very nice. So unless it's an in-joke with the couple, why on earth ruin the picture with that 1980's vignette?

#9 and #11 are nice enough for what they are, but #10's very well done indeed

#12 nice idea but I reckon the bouquet's too small in the frame. I have no idea how I'd have improved it, though.

#13 Clichéd, dated and deadly boring.

So there you go. HTH a bit :)

BTW, whenever I see British Standard detail shots and setups with the bouquet, I can't help wondering what shots the snapper was missing of the couple and their guests enjoying the wedding ...

Excellent feedback just what I was after! A few of the images do appear a bit soft, some of them were a bit noisy using my old camera so did try to reduce that a bit, plus I was quite new to photoshop back then and shooting in JPEG still.

OK then ... speaking as a retired wedding snapper and ignoring the processing ...

#1 Nicely executed

#2 So's this one, but in future beware glasses on the slosh and tops of frames going across eyeballs ;) - noted! this was my 1st wedding and by far the most challenging out of all the ones I've done as they didn't tend to smile naturally much on the day at all!

#3 Fine for what it is, but don't fall into the newbie wedding snapper trap of taking snaps of cute kids for no reason other than you see what looks like a nice picture of a cute kid

#4 See above + it looks soft to me - these were generally crops from groups shots, I did really like the kid with the wedding dress and confetti, have 3 of them actually with this girl, some more arty than others which you may prefer.

#5 Well caught but why the tilt? Framing it conventionally would have made it easier to read and you'd have been able to lose that door-closer. - I really don't know why the tilt tbh, only thing I can think of was it quite tight on space and was the only way to get it all in the shot with my 30mm prime, shouldn't be an issue now with my flash gun I can comfortably use my wide angle lens as it was quite dim in that room, but angled shots are not something I generally do but will try to make sure I keep well away from them

#6 At least 50% of brides will do just that at least twice when doing a "walk towards me" shot. The way forward is to wait until she's looked down, then take your picture - at least 50% will do what exactly? this wasnt a set up one, I was 2nd photographer as I was a witness in that one and snapped this as it started pi$$in it down whilst they were over in the gardens getting shots.

#7 Excellent. You'll take quite a few more confetti shots before you get a better one. Do beware of the low angle emphasising double chins, though. - personally was VERY happy with this shot, came out better than the official photographers, Double chins was a thought, Im sure with a bit of practice photoshop might help but always good to try and avoid having to do any if possible! on this occasion though the shot was just too good to leave out

#8 Looks a bit soft to me, but otherwise very nice. So unless it's an in-joke with the couple, why on earth ruin the picture with that 1980's vignette? The 1980's vignette was their request, they really liked it so did a few with them.

#9 and #11 are nice enough for what they are, but #10's very well done indeed Thanks!

#12 nice idea but I reckon the bouquet's too small in the frame. I have no idea how I'd have improved it, though. - again had a few different ones which may have worked better for you but take note of what your saying

#13 Clichéd, dated and deadly boring. - noted!

So there you go. HTH a bit :)

BTW, whenever I see British Standard detail shots and setups with the bouquet, I can't help wondering what shots the snapper was missing of the couple and their guests enjoying the wedding ... - a couple of those I was a 2nd photographer so wasnt missing much very often when doing the flower shots, but point taken.

Just what I am after so thank you, its abit daunting posting on here after looking at the quality of some of the images but we all have to start somewhere and all the clients have been well aware of my experience or lack of and so far they have all said the images were beyond their expectations and I want to continue that and keep improving.

I like the confetti shot desp[ite the angle (never entertain the thought of using pp to remove a double chin. Just shoot from a higher angle for people with that issues).

Most of the rest of them look flat, often OOF, underexposed and with white balance issues. I'd check that your lenses are bang on and not front or back focusing, or that your shutter speeds and technique are up to it, because sharp shots are not a thing that you can fix in post, and there's no excuse for presenting them these days.

I like the confetti shot desp[ite the angle (never entertain the thought of using pp to remove a double chin. Just shoot from a higher angle for people with that issues).

Most of the rest of them look flat, often OOF, underexposed and with white balance issues. I'd check that your lenses are bang on and not front or back focusing, or that your shutter speeds and technique are up to it, because sharp shots are not a thing that you can fix in post, and there's no excuse for presenting them these days.

will check on my original pics, these are taken off Facebook so the quality always seems to get wrecked on there as I'm sure they are generally much sharper than what they appear above but will check.

white balance, I think that is more my fault, I gave them a warm yellow glow which I thought looked quite good if not always realistic, again early shots with being new to PP probably got carried away with myself in all honesty. will take your points on board

at least 50% will do what exactly?

Keep looking down when walking outside in a big white frock. It's just one of those things, like the groom always having his phone in his trouser pocket until you tell him to take it out, the blokes always adopting The Urinal Pose if you do a group shot of them, The Mystery Of The Plastic Horseshoe and so forth ...

I thought that's what you mentioned, but then you said wait till she puts her head down then take the shot? You mean wait till she looks up then take the shot?

Re number 8 :jawdrop:

Yep, same reaction here. Ann reckons she's never actually seen a white vignette before (and we both started taking an interest in wedding photography around 1998). Unfortunately I have, albeit only on the internets - but even then, only in the context of "OMG, will all y'all just look at this?".

But I note that the OP says the crime was committed at the couple's request, so to some extent he's excused. At least he didn't do any spot colour.

Or if he did, we've been spared that ... ;)

My advice - suggest learning more about composition eg balance and the like . There's some great books out there you can read .

Second - go on the web and see what other togs are doing for inspiration

Third - it's all in the planning

Yep, same reaction here. Ann reckons she's never actually seen a white vignette before (and we both started taking an interest in wedding photography around 1998). Unfortunately I have, albeit only on the internets - but even then, only in the context of "OMG, will all y'all just look at this?".

But I note that the OP says the crime was committed at the couple's request, so to some extent he's excused. At least he didn't do any spot colour.

Or if he did, we've been spared that ... ;)

ironically today aswell, brothers friend whos getting married had a look through and saw that image and said how she loved it too. weird! not a fan myself

ironically today aswell, brothers friend whos getting married had a look through and saw that image and said how she loved it too. weird! not a fan myself

This is rather alarming.

Maybe the OP is onto a winner? If the white vignette's catching on, what next though? Heads In The Brandy Balloon ... ?

Last edited:
Maybe like kitchens and trends repeat every 25 years or whatever it is lol.

I did actually notice a few people going mad for an app on Facebook where it out there picture in a wine glass or bottle etc too lol

Maybe like kitchens and trends repeat every 25 years or whatever it is lol.

I did actually notice a few people going mad for an app on Facebook where it out there picture in a wine glass or bottle etc too lol

You do need to consider yourself in this as well. Showing white vignette and wine glass horrors is OK, but its unlikely to win you much, if any business.

Will keep it hidden away within portfolio's then and as and when I'm speaking with clients I'll see if there's anything they would like doing like that.

Personally I like the photos and would think that the couple did too.

However double chins and spots are much better if reduced or concealed with better positioning (as already mentioned) and a blur brush ( yes I know I'll get panned for that but it's what looks better for the couple).

Also as photographers we forget that ordinary people simply don't see or understand what we do - look at the billions of pics taken every year by phones etc.

And I also saw on here a few months ago some wedding pics which I found absolutely awful and pretentious taken by a pro who was charging thousands of pounds!

Will keep it hidden away within portfolio's then and as and when I'm speaking with clients I'll see if there's anything they would like doing like that.

I wouldn't. There's no way I would ask a question like:-

"would you like some nice white vignettes around your pictures?"

"how about I colour pop all the cravats?"

"how about if I photoshop a dinosaur into the background and you can all pretend your running away from it?"

I could go on.

More to the point, I tell my clients that I specifically DON'T do anything that could date in years to come. So they get told at the initial meeting that colour popping etc is naff and I don't do it.

Yep, same reaction here. Ann reckons she's never actually seen a white vignette before (and we both started taking an interest in wedding photography around 1998). Unfortunately I have, albeit only on the internets

When we were looking at photographers at a wedding fayre at our venue 2 years ago there was a photographer whose portfolio consisted exclusively of heavy white vignettes and/or soft focus. He was quite busy, amazingly.

When we were looking at photographers at a wedding fayre at our venue 2 years ago there was a photographer whose portfolio consisted exclusively of heavy white vignettes and/or soft focus. He was quite busy, amazingly.

Cheap?

"would you like some nice white vignettes around your pictures?"

I've said before that I keep wondering about getting myself a nice 2.8 Rolleiflex in the brown never-ready case, a pack of 120 fillums, a navy blue blazer with a badge on the breast pocket, a moustache and a P4 Rover and going back to shooting weddings on 2 x 120. Only 18 exposures to print for the album (the second film being for the 6 groups, doubled up for blinkers), a few with a nice white vignette (pronounced "vig-net"), and the whole lot in a nice album with "Our Wedding" on the front which plays the bridal chorus from Lohengrin when opened.

Turn up half an hour before the ceremony, bugger off as soon as they've got to the reception venue and you've shot the fake cake-cutting ... It's got a lot going for it.

Back