New Tripod

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
After finally doing the right thing and really researching the market before I jumped for a change, I've bought a tripod I might actually want to take somewhere with me. It's a CF Gitzo Explorer, an absolutely stonking bit of kit and really adaptable to all situations. I've gone for a simple ball head with quick release plate to keep weight to a minimum. All up it's under 5lbs.

It's cost a horrendous amount of moolah, and I have to say the aluminium version would be a steal for a lot less money and very little weight difference.

The CF looks good though. :D

this is a photography forum you know...

I can't be bothered searching so TTIUWP! :)

Haha. I worked that out .... eventually.

I haven't taken any pics, but there's a good review with pics HERE.

looks a nice piece of kit, but expensive.

We need a TTIUWP smiley :)

Very nice, which one have you bought?

I have the Gitzo CF 2228 Explorer. Got it from 0ne stop digital for £263. costs over £400 over here. Work of art

That's the one. :) 4 section legs rather than 3.

Yeah its the three section of mine. I bought mine after that review you've just linked funny enough:)

'Work of art' Good description. The Italians do some things so well, they have this thing called 'flare' You can see it in the cars. Trouble is they do the engine and the beautiful body, then lose interest in the finishing off and the door handles come off in your hand. :doh:

Tell you one thing i've noticed, from time to time, at least with mine. A random twist lock will jam. If your hands are clammy for any reason i need a cloth to unfix them, and i've got big Irish hands lol

Watch your hands with the top snap locks! Christ i paid the price when i caught my finger in it as part of an experiment to see if it would hurt.

The experience taught me, that to next time use next doors cats tale for any further experiments (joking)

I've been looking casually for a tripod and narrowed it down to either gitzo or manfrotto CF ones, for lightweight and compactability. I forget the lie up but there are some 'mountaineer' types that seem quite light yet load up to around 8kg - not that I have anything that massive, yet! but I do have the 100-400 and currently pondering the 1dmkIIN so what ever I go for a sturdy support yet lightweight is something quite desirable. this 2227 is stable with your 1d..N then?

shiato storm said:
but I do have the 100-400 and currently pondering the 1dmkIIN so what ever I go for a sturdy support yet lightweight is something quite desirable. this 2227 is stable with your 1d..N then?

I haven't used it in anger yet, but the first thing I did was stick the 1DMK2N on it and and try it out in some pretty extreme positions and on the end of some horizontal centre column configurations. Yes... it's very stable. It has a max recommended load of 22lbs.

I've seen Matt (the mod) using a mahoosive 800mm Sigma on one of these with no problems.

Looks a nice piece of kit.

I still can't decide which tripod to go for.:ponders:

I was going to settle for one one of the Velbon Sherpa range.

P-E said:
I still can't decide which tripod to go for.:ponders:

That's good! Take your time - think about what you really need in a tripod, look at the market and be absolutely sure before you invest. If you get it right first tme, you'll probably never need to buy another.

CT said:
That's good! Take your time - think about what you really need in a tripod, look at the market and be absolutely sure before you invest. If you get it right first tme, you'll probably never need to buy another.

That is the problem.....I already own a Manfrotto 055PRO but want something lighter and more compact.

I was considering getting the 055pro - do you consider it to be a weighty tripod then ???

TBH I'm hoping to get a feel of a few tripods at the FOCUS show..........

Mr THX said:
I was considering getting the 055pro - do you consider it to be a weighty tripod then ???

i got an 055 pro a few weeks back...
to be honest its a compromise , as a heavier tropod is a more stable tripod, but is less atractive to lug around,

if you compare an 055 to a no name £20 tripod, yes.....its much heavier , but thats what ur buying it for to a certain extent.....as the no name pod will blow over if you fart in the wrong direction,

i went to a camera shop and test drove a few in the shop, and was impressed with the build quality and the steadyness of the manfrotto compared to a few others that were in there, i then decided to go for the best i could afford and got an 055 pro in black with a manfrotto trigger grip head , and am very happy with both

MyPix

Mr THX said:

For me it is just a little uncomfortable to walk around with........infact I do not take it with me at all.

Lighter/compact is what I am looking for but strong enough to take my 1D MKII.

NoPix said:
i got an 055 pro a few weeks back...
to be honest its a compromise , as a heavier tropod is a more stable tripod, but is less atractive to lug around,

if you compare an 055 to a no name £20 tripod, yes.....its much heavier , but thats what ur buying it for to a certain extent.....as the no name pod will blow over if you fart in the wrong direction,

i went to a camera shop and test drove a few in the shop, and was impressed with the build quality and the steadyness of the manfrotto compared to a few others that were in there, i then decided to go for the best i could afford and got an 055 pro in black with a manfrotto trigger grip head , and am very happy with both

MyPix

Hi My Pix

Done the self same thing .... been into Jessops and had a look at the Manfrotto - Agree with you whole-heartedly and bar checking out the like of Gitzo at next weeks show I will probably be sending off for the Manfrotto (Your link to the company in Germany BTW) just had to ask about the weight as to P-E it seams an issue. Can't imagine they weigh that much TBH though.

See that's the problem. The Manfrotto is ace and will outlast you and your kids. I have one I bought for weddings 20 years ago and it's still as good as the day I bought it. It's not the most adaptable tripod, not as adaptable as an 055, but it's rock solid and easy to erect on the spot with 3 clips. It's a cracking wedding/ studio tripod,and will easily support medium format and larger, but you wouldn't want to hump it around in The Peak District. The perfect tripod probably doesn't exist. ;)

You can get the weights and specs of all popular tripods off the Warehouse Express site

CT said:
Yes... it's very stable. It has a max recommended load of 22lbs.

I've seen Matt (the mod) using a mahoosive 800mm Sigma on one of these with no problems.
ah! whats 22lbs in real money?

good to know either way that it hold one of the biggest bigma-ssive's that exists!
you wouldn't want to hump it around in The Peak District
thats what girl friends are for ;) teehee!

22lbs = 9.7903214 kilograms. :D

I might agree with you about the girlfriend thing if 'er indoors wasn't looking over my shoulder. ;)

CT said:
You can get the weights and specs of all popular tripods off the Warehouse Express site

So many Gitz to look at:dizzy:

Basalt range look interesting.

P-E said:
Basalt range look interesting.

Yes... lovely and lighteight but the max load isn't very much with those. Great for walking/hiking if your kit wont be too heavy, but any long lenses, you'd soon be pushing it a bit. Then there's wind to consider.... prevailing not gastronomic. :getmecoat

CT said:
Yes... lovely and lighteight but the max load isn't very much with those. Great for walking/hiking if your kit wont be too heavy, but any long lenses, you'd soon be pushing it a bit. Then there's wind to consider.... prevailing not gastronomic. :getmecoat

The 1298 is rated at 5.5kg max load.......not too bad eh?

Yes I do hiking and wind can be a problem.....prevailing that is;)

there is a trade secret to making yo pod a little more stable no matter who made it,
some peeps dont know this, and those that do please bear with me......

all you need do once your pod is set up is to hang your bag over the top of the legs to weigh it down to make it more stable,
the likes of Manfrotto and other brands actually provide a hook underneath for such a purpose...

tho it does help if you have a sterdy pod to start with

MyPix

btw, the 055pro weighs in at 2.4kgs and will hold 7kgs all day long, this is from the manfrotto site

P-E said:
The 1298 is rated at 5.5kg max load.......not too bad eh?

Actually it isn't bad at all - I was over-estimating the weight of the 1DMK2 which is 1.2 kilograms, so it would be a handy tool.

CT said:
Actually it isn't bad at all - I was over-estimating the weight of the 1DMK2 which is 1.2 kilograms, so it would be a handy tool.

So looks like the 1DMKII & 24-70 2.8 lens would be within the max load.

Comfortably I'd think. Get yer plastic out then. :p

CT said:
Comfortably I'd think. Get yer plastic out then. :p

Lol its getting close CT......I am getting all sweaty.

Just looking at the Sherpa Pro CF 641EL. Max Load = 6Kg Weighs 1.47kg.

Looks like a toss up between that and the Basalt 1298. Max Load = 5.5 kg weighs 1.52kg.

Hehe leave it with you. Have a scour of the web for any info/ pics on both. Check if there's any advantage in one or the other... splaying legs, rotating centre column etc. Don't forget you'll need a head, and a carrying case might be handy.

CT said:
Hehe leave it with you. Have a scour of the web for any info/ pics on both. Check if there's any advantage in one or the other... splaying legs, rotating centre column etc. Don't forget you'll need a head, and a carrying case might be handy.

:thumb: will do.

Think I will go with the head JoeT got for his tripod.

P.S sorry if I hijacked your thread a little:embarasse .

Hope you enjoy your new Tripod;)

This is the head I got... the G1178M

GZ1178Ms.jpg

I wouldn't personally do without a QR plate although you can get a version without one.

IanC_UK has a Gitzo with a tilting head and he finds it too big - hes looking for something smaller and lighter.

LOL No probs mate, don't worry about my thread.

Where did you get your 2227 from?

I never got a gitzo head, i got the Manfrotto 488RC4 Ball head

I shown my mate my 2228 and he brought his £25 job out that his mrs uses for their point and shoot, i tried my best to explain that it would be no good for my gear ect. Could see that glazed look in his eye that said "you're nuts mate" Also said that his shutter was much quieter then mine, had to explain to him that his camera doesn't have a shutter. I try not to bother explaining stuff to novices anymore lol

Sean_Mcr said:
Where did you get your 2227 from?

It's the 2228 Sean. Warehouse Express. The 2227 is shown there now as 'Discontinued'
I never got a gitzo head, i got the Manfrotto 488RC4 Ball head
Never knew they were compatible. I leaned something there.:)
I shown my mate my 2228 and he brought his £25 job out that his mrs uses for their point and shoot, i tried my best to explain that it would be no good for my gear ect. Could see that glazed look in his eye that said "you're nuts mate" Also said that his shutter was much quieter then mine, had to explain to him that his camera doesn't have a shutter. I try not to bother explaining stuff to novices anymore lol

LOL Tell me about it! My old man, may he rest in peace, would have told you that no camera took pictures better than his Box Brownie. :D

All cameras have a shutter mate except his will be a little leaf thing in the lens while we have to put up with a bloody great shutter with two metal curtains zapping up and down which is what a focal plane shutter basically is, and the only type you can have in an SLR.

CT said:
It's the 2228 Sean. Warehouse Express. The 2227 is shown there now as 'Discontinued'

Never knew they were compatible. I leaned something there.:)

LOL Tell me about it! My old man, may he rest in peace, would have told you that no camera took pictures better than his Box Brownie. :D

All cameras have a shutter mate except his will be a little leaf thing in the lens while we have to put up with a bloody great shutter with two metal curtains zapping up and down which is what a focal plane shutter basically is, and the only type you can have in an SLR.

Sorry when i told him he didn't have a shutter, i meant a mechanical shutter, rather then the electronic shutter of his p&s.

Yeah, there's a wide range of brands to fit the 2228. That's mine http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2308?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

CT said:
This is the head I got... the G1178M

GZ1178Ms.jpg

Is that a built in spirit level in the corner? if so doesn't the camera body cover it up when fitted?

Back