New tubes

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to buy some extension tubes, which turned up this afternoon. So had a quick 15 minutes play in the greenhouse (i was meant to be working).
Here's what i came away with (i'm going to need a lot of practice).
These were hand held, on my Canon 50d with a 18-55stm kit lens and a 12mm extension tube, i could have done with lowering the iso (these are really quite noisy) so i'll use a flash next time.

untitled-53 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-48 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-5 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-71 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I think that is really rather good as a first attempt, especially the flowers.

Can't say I'm bothered by the noise, to the extent I can actually see any, which is hardly at all, or not at all, I'm not sure. If it really bothers you you could apply some very light luminance noise reduction.

I don't think you'll get anything like the lovely light in the first one using flash. FWIW I almost never use flash for flowers, and almost always use it for insects etc (except the bigger ones like butterflies and dragonflies that come out mainly in bright weather).

I think that is really rather good as a first attempt, especially the flowers.

Can't say I'm bothered by the noise, to the extent I can actually see any, which is hardly at all, or not at all, I'm not sure. If it really bothers you you could apply some very light luminance noise reduction.

I don't think you'll get anything like the lovely light in the first one using flash. FWIW I almost never use flash for flowers, and almost always use it for insects etc (except the bigger ones like butterflies and dragonflies that come out mainly in bright weather).
Thank you, a tripod and slower shutter speed to bring down the iso for flowers will be my next move.

IMHO, for a first attempt you've done a stellar job. I particularly like the Orchid shots. Noise! What noise?

Maybe I've managed to clean it up better than I thought :)

Back