New York City (quite photo heavy)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Some photos from my recent trip to NYC. Tried not to take too many photos of well known subjects and scenes, and tried to get some closer detail shots of the city, but there are some things you really have to take photos of :D I wanted to post the best photos but I couldn't narrow it down past these 18.

You might notice that I quite like taking photos of street objects and putting then centrally in the frame, and I also use a shallow DoF quite a lot. Might not be to everyone's taste but I love it :D

Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated :)

-1-

Empire State Building from the Top of the Rock
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

-2-

Top of the Rock
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

-3-

Empire State Building
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

-4-

Empire State Building
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

-5-

Manhattan Bridge
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

-6-

Manhattan Bridge
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still liking that 57th St ...

really liking 5,6,7 and 18. Your take on every day objects works for me, some things are almost a photo bucket list to take. i think a really tight crop of 4 would perhaps work better as the object is ace (love the owl eyes on it) but the background is not adding much

really liking 5,6,7 and 18. Your take on every day objects works for me, some things are almost a photo bucket list to take. i think a really tight crop of 4 would perhaps work better as the object is ace (love the owl eyes on it) but the background is not adding much

Thank you :) Yes there are a few things that you have to take photos of when you visit! I will have another look at the crop on number 4 but I quite like the OOF fencing in the background. I have another one that is similar, but taken from the Top of the Rock where there is glass instead of a metal fence, I think you might prefer this one :)

Top of the Rock
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Thank you :) Yes there are a few things that you have to take photos of when you visit! I will have another look at the crop on number 4 but I quite like the OOF fencing in the background. I have another one that is similar, but taken from the Top of the Rock where there is glass instead of a metal fence, I think you might prefer this one :)

Top of the Rock
by Carl Hall, on Flickr
yep thank you i much prefer that, lovely pics will look forward to taking a look at your journal after work

Nice selection, been 3 times myself but only once whilst into photography, great place to photograph. I quite like your filmesque processing.

Yes it's an amazing place, I'd definitely like to go back at some point! 5 days is enough to see the big things, but a few more days would have let us wander round the quieter areas too I think.

All of the photos except for number 3 (because it was too dark) were actually taken on film, most of the sunny and saturated ones were on Kodak Ektar 100 and all of the pastel looking lighter ones were on Fuji Pro 400H :)

Some great shots there. Whenever i see shots of New York it always makes me want to head back there again :)

Yes it's an amazing place, I'd definitely like to go back at some point! 5 days is enough to see the big things, but a few more days would have let us wander round the quieter areas too I think.

All of the photos except for number 3 (because it was too dark) were actually taken on film, most of the sunny and saturated ones were on Kodak Ektar 100 and all of the pastel looking lighter ones were on Fuji Pro 400H :)
Ah cool. They have a nice look. So used to seeing images with film preset filters I can't tell the real thing anymore.

great set - a nice mixture of the classics (like #6) and some less usual detail shots.

I've lived here for just over a year... very fun city. Glad you got good weather - it's been a real mixed bag this year.

Last edited:
Lovely set of photos, carl. Quite scary looking at them though, as I took near enough every photo the same (traffic cop, fire hydrant, steam, phone box and viewfinder) to name a few.

You've got a good eye ;)

I've not been since 2013, so eager to go back.

Lovely set of photos, carl. Quite scary looking at them though, as I took near enough every photo the same (traffic cop, fire hydrant, steam, phone box and viewfinder) to name a few.

You've got a good eye ;)

I've not been since 2013, so eager to go back.

Thanks Mark! I think there are some things in NY that scream out for photos, especially things like fire hydrants and phone boxes that we see quite often on TV. I'd love to go back again as well, I'd definitely take more film next time though!

love no.9 - great

Thank you :)

3 and 6 for me. 3 is gorgeous!

Cheers Stevie, I didn't take a tripod or any kind of support to NY with me so I had to balance the camera on the wall and hope it didn't move :D

Thanks Mark! I think there are some things in NY that scream out for photos, especially things like fire hydrants and phone boxes that we see quite often on TV. I'd love to go back again as well, I'd definitely take more film next time though!

Thank you :)

Cheers Stevie, I didn't take a tripod or any kind of support to NY with me so I had to balance the camera on the wall and hope it didn't move :D
You gotta make the most of the surroundings

I'm seriously tempted to just book it for new years eve. I went at xmas in 2013 and absolutely loved it (even though I nearly got robbed of my camera)

If anyone cares to see a few more from the set, I've written a bit about it in my journal. I've written a bit about our trip as well so if anyone's thinking of going soon it might be interesting :)

http://www.carlhall.co.uk/entries/2018/06/08/new-york-city

Many thanks for that

Going to be covering all that when we go next week so nice to read about it in particular Coney Island which many people don't get time to visit.

Interesting set, I like the bridge shots.
We went for new year. Interesting place but so expensive...

Funny how sometimes you get similar pictures without thinking
164803908.jpg

Last edited:
Back