Newbie advice please - canvas or print?

Edit My Images
No
Dear all
I would like to give my wife a photo gift for Xmas - a picture of her cat as below:

11191915644_60eb5dd33c.jpg
[/IMG]

I had planned on a canvas from tradecanvasprint - I read some of the thread and people seem happy. But other people also saying canvases in general aren't great but an aluminium print would look better.
What do people think? Would my photo look good on either, or should I try and get a better snap of the pussy cat over the next couple of days?

Many thanks

Xavier

If going down the canvas route, leave more space around the cat to allow for wrapping the image around the frame, the alternative would be to mirror the edges.

The sort of canvas you're mentioning IS a print! The canvas texture is a cultural abomination as the surface for a photograph, though - it's just a vulgar attempt by printing companies to increase their revenue. A photograph should look like a photograph!

Kind of what I thought Droj.
Any recommendations for a place to get it printed? Also could someone with a calibrated monitor see if it looks OK? Very many thanks.

I wouldn't personally print cat on aluminium. Leave that for colourful landscapes and fashion images. Cat could be quite happy on textured surface but as it stands you have no edges to wrap around, and it wouldn't make sense mirrored. You could try a box frame (same "canvas" like print, but edges are wood).

My other advice would be to lose the blown out cloth as far as you can. It is the focal spot of your images (brightest bits usually are), then add more exposure and clarity to the cat.

Back