Newbie Duck Photos

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello. I've only recently taken up photography (in the last month) and am starting my learning curve with a Panasonic Lumix FZ8. Since buying the camera I seem to have taken a lot of pictures of ducks and have been very impressed by the wildlife pictures on here (definitely something to aspire to!!). So I thought I would post some pictures and hopefully get some feedback on how to improve.

Please feel free to be quite critical!

1. Wood Duck (I think) It's been cropped so may not look that sharp.

tp_duck3.jpg

2. Mallard Duck - Although not too sure about the photo I quite like the lighting.

tp_duck2.jpg

3. Mallard Duck

tp_duck1.jpg

Any comments or advice would be helpful.

Thanks

They is good them are :) #2 for me too!

Welcome to the forums! Enjoy a long, merry, and expensive stay ;)

#3 is superb, the only critisism I would have is the noise - if this was quite a sunny day you probably could have lowered the ISO for a "cleaner" image, having said that it's still excellent.

Hello and welcome!

A very good start I would say! 2 is my favourite - as you say, the light looks good (y)

I am actually in almost the exact same position as you. Got my FZ8 at the beginning of september and have been furiously trying to learn ever since - fun isn't it?! How are you getting on with the camera? A lot of folks on here recommended I get an entry level DSLR over a bridge camera but I'm glad I went with the panny as I have more than enough to keep me occupied with it!

Well happy togging - hopefully we will be able to help each other out occasionally :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Good to know I'm on the right track :)

Daysleeper40 - Good to find someone in the same position as me! I'm glad I chose the FZ8 as well, really pleased with the results that I've had so far. I wasn't too sure whether to get a DSLR either but then decided as I'm not the most artistic person that I may be photographically challenged as well so probably best not to part with too much money! But lots and lots to learn on the FZ8 :)

Nothing wrong with those at all, good shots, and nice detail :)

I started of with a Panasonic FZ18, they're great little cameras.

I bought an Olympus 1.7 converter for it and a raynox macro lens. You can get them for the FZ8 as well, you need an adaptor, but that works with both.

Takes the camera into a whole new dimension (y)

Would definitely be interested in getting some additional lenses! Does the 1.7 converter affect the auto-focus?

Also I've noticed on some of the threads that people have said what distance the lens was at and info like aperture etc, was just wondering how do you find this out when your looking at a picture on a thread? Would just be interested to see what sort of settings other people are using.

Thanks.

Back