Newborn Barkfly?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
These are already at 2:1 magnification - and the fly was so tiny I could barely see it, let alone focus on it. I'm assuming it is newly born(?) as in the first image, one of it's wings is still furled under, and over the next minute or two, that wing straightened like the other wing.

Not sure if it is a barkfly or something else. Size? To small to suggest, but maybe ½mm?

@1338hrs

@1340hrs

@1341hrs

Paul.

Sorry, but I can make nothing out. It would appear the fly is so well camouflaged as to be invisible.

I know what you mean Jeff... Haha, if it needs a crop, I can do that, but trust me, it's there. But invisible enough. :LOL:

Paul.

Not a Juve... this is an adult... they don't start off with wings :D

Great to see you got it so well with 2:1 they are so small like collembola.

Not a Juve... this is an adult... they don't start off with wings :D

Great to see you got it so well with 2:1 they are so small like collembola.

Cheers Bryn. It was so tiny - and blended in, and I lost track of it because of those two things more than once. It was walking all the time - none of these are where it had stopped moving - so obviously you know how awkward the little bugger was to capture.

Paul.

Yeah as Bryn says the earlier instars lack wings (although you can see the wing buds). Does look like a barkfly though so would go with freshly moulted final instar..

Yeah as Bryn says the earlier instars lack wings (although you can see the wing buds). Does look like a barkfly though so would go with freshly moulted final instar..

Cheers Tim.

I didn't realise until this weekend they moulted...

Paul.

Cheers Tim.

I didn't realise until this weekend they moulted...

Paul.
Pretty much all insects do (I can't think of any off the top of my head that don't). It's the only way they can grow, having a hard exoskeleton. The only chance they get to get to expand is when their shell is soft, but once it hardens, that's it until they moult again.

Back