Newborn/Mother/Father Photoshoot :-)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
I had the chance to photograph this beautiful new born baby, he is only 2 weeks old and weighed 7lbs 5oz :-0

Daddy is a solider in the army so baby had a lovely grow on.

Here are some photos :)

DSC_0018-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0038-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0006-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

dexter 14 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0058 by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0019-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0062 by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0036-Edit-2 by damen ford, on Flickr

They are all cool pics and I'm sure the parents are delighted. The closeups are the most successful to my mind.
There’s a few things which you might improve on..
  • I do think you need some diffusion or a bigger light source, there are unpleasant shadows or highlights in lots of the images
  • Some seem a little soft
  • The b&w conversions aren’t all that consistent
  • Some of the poses are very cheesy.. but if that’s what the customer likes ;)
  • Your logo is way too intrusive; maybe drop the opacity?
hth

They are all cool pics and I'm sure the parents are delighted. The closeups are the most successful to my mind.
  • I do think you need some diffusion or a bigger light source, there are unpleasant shadows or highlights in lots of the images
hth

Thanks for your feedback

hth
All of the above.

I'm going to re-iterate what @juggler said... but add a bit in...
Please take these criticisms as constructive as I've received plenty and it only made me a better photographer.
2. Looks like a cut out... was the background that bad? That aside, I'd have gotten rid of all the lint bits on both their jumpers.
3. If you're going to go close up, take the time to do a bit of skin smoothing and get rid of the little skin flakes, even in the out of focus areas.
4. You deffo cut that out and not very well I'm afraid. Again, was the background that bad that you had to do that? Also, I'd get rid of the lint on mom's sweater. I'd have also got rid of baby's diaper/nappy. It's risky, but usually looks better. Or use a wrap to cover it...
5. I'd use your sliders to get rid of some of that extra rosey-ness in baby's skin.
6. Again, if you're going to get in that close, you've got to do the work and clean up the skin flakes.
7. REALLY blown and harsh lighting. And skin flakes need sorting.
8. Not going to mention the cutout thing, but again, get rid of the lint.
Lost count what the numbers are.... dsc_0028 is lovely. :)

Rest of them sort of get covered in the points above.

I would say that don't rely on thinking you can just cut the subjects out and put them on a white or black background. Unless you really really know what you're doing, it rarely looks right. Either find yourself a better position for your subjects with a suitable background, or try to work with what you've got.

I'd also suggest that rather that do a 'straight out the box' b&w conversion, learn how to do it using your sliders...

That's all I've got.

HTH

I'm going to re-iterate what @juggler said... but add a bit in...
Please take these criticisms as constructive as I've received plenty and it only made me a better photographer.
2. Looks like a cut out... was the background that bad? That aside, I'd have gotten rid of all the lint bits on both their jumpers.
3. If you're going to go close up, take the time to do a bit of skin smoothing and get rid of the little skin flakes, even in the out of focus areas.
4. You deffo cut that out and not very well I'm afraid. Again, was the background that bad that you had to do that? Also, I'd get rid of the lint on mom's sweater. I'd have also got rid of baby's diaper/nappy. It's risky, but usually looks better. Or use a wrap to cover it...
5. I'd use your sliders to get rid of some of that extra rosey-ness in baby's skin.
6. Again, if you're going to get in that close, you've got to do the work and clean up the skin flakes.
7. REALLY blown and harsh lighting. And skin flakes need sorting.
8. Not going to mention the cutout thing, but again, get rid of the lint.
Lost count what the numbers are.... dsc_0028 is lovely. :)

Rest of them sort of get covered in the points above.

I would say that don't rely on thinking you can just cut the subjects out and put them on a white or black background. Unless you really really know what you're doing, it rarely looks right. Either find yourself a better position for your subjects with a suitable background, or try to work with what you've got.

I'd also suggest that rather that do a 'straight out the box' b&w conversion, learn how to do it using your sliders...

That's all I've got.

HTH

thank you, I always take note, doc-0028 was taken against their wall :), the black ones I used a single flat black bed sheet and then in photo shop just darkened the background, the only one I actually cut out and placed on a white background was the one where mum and dad are holding baby in the air, all the rest are as said above, yes I did take note to the flakey skin, I got rid of lots, if I showed you the before and after its such a massive difference but I will take note :)

Back