Newcastle Quayside again

Nice composition, it looks like you may have over exposed and clipped some of the sky. When you are working out the exposure value with a subject that's a long way from white, it is always good to check your 3 colour histogram to see if you have over exposed one channel.

Fabulous shot.

My crit is something that’s out of your control. That sheeting on the Baltic. Yuck!
Thank you, i didn't even notice that but now it is all i can see!

Nice composition, it looks like you may have over exposed and clipped some of the sky. When you are working out the exposure value with a subject that's a long way from white, it is always good to check your 3 colour histogram to see if you have over exposed one channel.
Thank you, I did check the histogram as i was concerned about the same thing - most likely the red channel- I didn't think anything was clipped either on the histogram or the blinkies but may be mistaken - I wonder if it is how I have processed the sky (slightly over reduced the highlights)?

Last edited:
Do you have the option to view 3 histograms on your camera. I use Nikons and the regular histogram can look OK but then one of the channels can be clipped. I got caught out a couple of times photographing locations that used a lot of blue LED before I started using the 3 colour histogram.

Do you have the option to view 3 histograms on your camera. I use Nikons and the regular histogram can look OK but then one of the channels can be clipped. I got caught out a couple of times photographing locations that used a lot of blue LED before I started using the 3 colour histogram.
This was with a D800 and i have it so the histogram comes up on the right. I also have the live view histogram too but will ice this another look.

On the D800 you have the option to review the image alongside the RGB histograms, page 225 in the manual.

Great shot, love the sky.

It is every so tiny amount of clipping that I would say it is almost irrelevant and very very easy to fix. Blind sRGB conversion from RAW during export usually leads to this or worse. Again a non-issue for most. It is far far worse to have the overall underexposure to save a small highlight or two.

I think its a great shot :)

Great shot, love the sky.
It is every so tiny amount of clipping that I would say it is almost irrelevant and very very easy to fix. Blind sRGB conversion from RAW during export usually leads to this or worse. Again a non-issue for most. It is far far worse to have the overall underexposure to save a small highlight or two.
Thanks, i have seen this done better loads of times on this forum but it was a nice surprise. I suppose if i had taken my spot meter i would have been able to meter more accurately. I don't generally mind slightly overexposed highlights but still would prefer to avoid them. I will have to look a bit closer next time.

I think its a great shot :)
Thanks!

Fabulous shot.

My crit is something that’s out of your control. That sheeting on the Baltic. Yuck!

The sheeting on the Bastic isn't sheeting. It symbolises a sail and is permanent. Superb angle capturing everything on the quayside in one image.

it is always good to check your 3 colour histogram to see if you have over exposed one channel.

Using RGB histograms is very good advice. I'd also mention making sure your white balance is not way off when doing this to but...

...Like @LongLensPhotography says, sRGB web conversions clip channels that are fine anyway.

However, this shot is not blown anyway, the specular highlights have gone but the sky is fine.

Getting onto the shot, love it, it's very nice and tastefully processed. My only question is what it would look like with that boat on the right hand side included, or cut down the middle 50/50 rather than just revealing a part of it?

. My only question is what it would look like with that boat on the right hand side included said:
I think that i did try one with more of the boat but ended up with the lamp posts that run down the quayside in the shot which I did not really like. I think that you can get more of the boat in if you go further back but the problem at this time was that there was a boat with a gigantic mast further up the quay for the festival of the north which looked wrong. I will have another go next time i am out though.

Very nice

Back