Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh Sunrise

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
Taken on Tuesday morning, I was in Edinburgh with work for 36 hours, so on the morning I had to go back home, I was up at 3.30am to get a night bus to one of my favourite Edinburgh spots. I got there, it rained on me, stopped just before sunrise, got this, then it tipped it down so I legged it back for the bus, and was tucked back up in bed by 6am!

This is a merge of two shots, one for foreground sharpness and one for the background sharpness.

Light on House
by Stu Meech, on Flickr

Like it. Although I've done it for exposure, I've never tried combining two pics for focus, always tried to do it with depth of field. It's certainly very effective.

Lovely composition and coulours liking the rich tones alot.
Thanks Kevin, I added alot of contrast in post to get it back to looking like something realistic as the light was so flat!
Its nice that
Cheers Steve.
Like it. Although I've done it for exposure, I've never tried combining two pics for focus, always tried to do it with depth of field. It's certainly very effective.
Thanks - even at f/16, at 35mm I just couldn't get both sharp so it was the only way really. Thankfully it's easy enough to do :)
Nice shot Stu - colours, comp and the slight movement in the water really work well.
Cheers Neil.
As I said on Flickr mate, really like this.
Big thumbs up from me (y)
Thanks Jake!
One of my favourite local hotspots and well captured too!
Cheers fellow Stu, I do really like this spot, I know what I want out of it but it's so far away so the opportunities are rare...

Next time your in that neck of the woods you should walk around the breakwater. At the end is an abandoned lighthouse which makes for a good subject too

Really Nice shot Stu.... as said above really lovely tones. Great reflections from that binnacle shaped building halfway down the quay and like those two little golden highlights on the top of it (Lamps I guess although it could almost be the sun hitting them). Really nice subtle colours and light, calm before the storm!;)

Really Nice shot Stu.... as said above really lovely tones. Great reflections from that binnacle shaped building halfway down the quay and like those two little golden highlights on the top of it (Lamps I guess although it could almost be the sun hitting them). Really nice subtle colours and light, calm before the storm!;)
Hey Steve, thanks! Those lamps really are lamps that seemed to be on for quite a while after it was basically fully light!

Hey Steve, thanks! Those lamps really are lamps that seemed to be on for quite a while after it was basically fully light!
I like them... Sort of imagined that it was a nice brass lamp and the light was catching it:rolleyes: But I guess there probably sodium lamps but none the less effective, especially in the reflection... That's great as its picked up the light from the sunset too, nice stuff... BTW is this more than one exposure? Those red and yellow fenders on the other side of the harbour are a bit of a pain .... But then I guess its a harbour shot!!!;)

I like them... Sort of imagined that it was a nice brass lamp and the light was catching it:rolleyes: But I guess there probably sodium lamps but none the less effective, especially in the reflection... That's great as its picked up the light from the sunset too, nice stuff... BTW is this more than one exposure? Those red and yellow fenders on the other side of the harbour are a bit of a pain .... But then I guess its a harbour shot!!!;)

Haha yes, not much I could do about the fenders. And composing them out meant the lighthouse was so far to one side!

It's one exposure (in terms of both shots were the same exposure etc), but I used a 0.6ND hard grad to bring the sky back.

Dup post sorry PC playing silly buggers

Last edited:
Waiting ages for a hopeful D300s replacement which was a great camera in its day but it was time to get the 7D2 pal, the main reason I went over is I got a superb deal with a 500mm pal which I couldn't refuse...
Everyone likes a bargain! :) hope it proves to be a good combo for you! Shame there has never been a D300s replacement, that's why the D750 is in my bag now...

Lovely image good colours , like the composition and the tranquility, shows the see in calm conditions

Back