Newlands Valley from Dale Head

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Another weekend, another trip to the lakes. This was my 12th visit already this year. I think it's becoming a bit of an obsession!!!
Decided to check out Dale Head for sunrise, which I think will work better as an evening shot, but it's always good to recce these places.
It's a stunning view over the Newlands Valley, and despite a bit of wind, we spent quite a while up there, just enjoying the tranquility and panoramic views.

1) Having a brief sit down after the climb from Honister
;yidthj by Matt White, on Flickr

2) Base Brown and Great End soaking up some early light
trjjstrsjrty by Matt White, on Flickr

3) Sense of scale
lrhg-12 by Matt White, on Flickr

I've got one more which I'll hopefully post this week, without a figure, but with the first burst of light. I've just got a little tinkering to do to finish it off.
Thanks for looking

#1 and #3 (but particularly #1) are absolutely top drawer Matty. What an amazing view!

Cheers,

Simon.

Beautiful images.
Please don't take this badly, but the 1st (imo) would be spectacular without the body in the shot :)

#1 and #3 (but particularly #1) are absolutely top drawer Matty. What an amazing view!

Cheers,

Simon.

Cheers Simon. It's well worth you making a trip up there, its a fairly even trip from Honister, and jaw droppingly beautiful 360 views from the top. Pleased that they work for you!

Beautiful images.
Please don't take this badly, but the 1st (imo) would be spectacular without the body in the shot :)

How could you say that Ruth. Thats my week ruined :D
Glad you like the shots. The first shot was taken after I'd bagged a similar composition a little earlier in the morning, which I feel is a much stronger image. I just want to ensure it is bang on, before I post it. Once that was done, then I allow myself to mess around with shots like these.
Hopefully I'll post the main shot from the trip later in the week, and it will hit the mark for you.

No1 is a cracking shot fella, the vista is amazing and the light gorgeous, very well captured

Hopefully I'll post the main shot from the trip later in the week, and it will hit the mark for you.

You're a good lad, I won't let anyone say any different :LOL:

Beautiful images.

'au contaire' (I disagree) I think the person adds foreground interest, a sense of perspective and fun. Super landscapes especially #1. Well done sir.

'au contaire' (I disagree) I think the person adds foreground interest, a sense of perspective and fun. Super landscapes especially #1. Well done sir.

That view doesn't require scale imo, but there's nowt wrong with differing opinions :) (y)

A wonderful part of the world eh :)

No1 is a cracking shot fella, the vista is amazing and the light gorgeous, very well captured

Thank you Steve. I wish I'd have got to this spot whilst the snow was still around. This is definitely on the hit list for next year! So easy to get to as well!

You're a good lad, I won't let anyone say any different :LOL:

Nicely recovered! I admire your weaselling skills! :D

That view doesn't require scale imo, but there's nowt wrong with differing opinions :) (y)

Makes me glad that I covered both bases! Cheers Roy, thank you very much indeed.

A wonderful part of the world eh :)

Oh for sure, each time I visit, I fall in love with the place a little more. There's so much more I want to shoot over there, and I've really been neglecting the low level shots of late, in light of the snow capped peaks over the past couple of months!

Very nice shots there.

Cheers Sandy, Much appreciated.

Thanks Kodiac

Awsome set, what beautiful views!

Faultless group of images but would love to see some black and white!!!

Matt

Cheers, much appreciated. I am not one for mono conversions normally, and I don't see what they would do to enhance the scenes here. I think the first two rely upon the light and colour to shape the scene, I'd only consider mono in flatter conditions, where you couldn't let the light loose in the same way. Thanks for your input though buddy!

Nothing to do with the fact you're in 1&3 but 2 ticks my boxes with the contrasting light working with the terrain.

Looking forward to the showstopper mate, it's a worldie! 3 great shots, the sense of scale in #3 is immense.

Haha, don't get your hopes up. I like three too, but it was hard to compose it how I liked, this was about as good as I could muster! Cheers buddy. The Peak District had better not disappoint this weekend!

Nothing to do with the fact you're in 1&3 but 2 ticks my boxes with the contrasting light working with the terrain.

Cheers Andrew, nice to see someone breaking convention and going for 2. I love these sorts of shots, but I think it would work a lot better with a half covering of snow. For that reason, its on the list for next winter! Much appreciated

Very nice Matt, some cracking shots and lovely scenery. 2 is by far my favourite, love the light here. I do like the other 2 shots but sorry to say I would prefer them without the person in them.

Might be worth entering number 1 into Landscape Photographer of the Year Living the View, lovely stuff

I think it's helped by the fact your mate is actually fully clothed in #3...

The Peak District won't disappoint providing the weather plays nicely.

Fingers crossed dude. Sunday AM looking optimal at the moment. Should be a decent weekend!

Very nice Matt, some cracking shots and lovely scenery. 2 is by far my favourite, love the light here. I do like the other 2 shots but sorry to say I would prefer them without the person in them.

Neil, I think you just have an issue with this hoodie, don't you!! I'll hopefully have a better image without me in them to share soon!
I'm rather fond of 2 as well, if only there was a little more snow laid down, or a little more cloud, it would have transformed the image. Thanks as always dude!

Excellent set from a beautiful part of the country

Mike

Thanks very much Mike. It's a stunning part of the country, I just wish I had more than 2 days a week to explore it!!

Might be worth entering number 1 into Landscape Photographer of the Year Living the View, lovely stuff

Thanks very much indeed. I hadn't considered it, but I may give it a go. I was hoping to put a couple of entries in this year for the first time, just to put me in my place when I disappear without trace in the listings haha!

What a view. No1 for me.

Thanks very much Roger, It's a stunning vista from there, I am planning a reshoot from up there in different conditions, which I think will yield a decent shot! Much appreciated!

Neil, I think you just have an issue with this hoodie, don't you!! I'll hopefully have a better image without me in them to share soon!
I'm rather fond of 2 as well, if only there was a little more snow laid down, or a little more cloud, it would have transformed the image. Thanks as always dude!

Hmmmmm maybe ;)

Absolutely superb set of photos. You've definitely captured and done justice to the drama of the landscapes.

Lovely set, I particularly like the first ..................................................................................................... except for the figure!!! He's spoiling a great landscape

Absolutely superb set of photos. You've definitely captured and done justice to the drama of the landscapes.

Thanks very much indeed John, I really hope that I am able to convey some of my enjoyment of being up on the fells through my photos!!

Lovely set, I particularly like the first ..................................................................................................... except for the figure!!! He's spoiling a great landscape

Thanks David, much appreciated. I can't understand why anyone would want to not have me accentuating the shot :D

Superb dramatic vistas beautifully captured, with number 3 outstanding IMO

Cheers Duncan. really glad that these work for you, its a cracking spot, and one I intend to return to

Love the second one, long lens shots of mountains can be really strong, especially in light like that.

Great set Matty, I guess the people in, people out, thing is just marmite, for me it's a bit of fun as well as giving scale in some instances. For me if you have the showstopper in the bag nothing wrong with a bit of human intervention. No1 I like the gesture of the hands (almost like 'the whole world in his hands' ). Although quite prominent figure... Lovely light!
No2 great light (not to be missed) and love the clouds almost at the same level.
No3 now this is where the figure really hits the scaling button (not that it needs it) but with that perspective it really does the job, nice work Matty!

Uuummmm interesting file naming? I think No1 should be renamed 'look mum no hands' ..... No shorts Matty what an earth is going on?:D

Love the second one, long lens shots of mountains can be really strong, especially in light like that.

For sure, my 70-200 is my 'walkabout lens' when I am up on the fells. More often than not, the longer lens view is the better option when you're not at lake level. Thanks Craig!

First one IMHO is freeking awesome, my pic of the month by far

Haha, thank you very much indeed Gary, much appreciated!

Great set Matty, I guess the people in, people out, thing is just marmite, for me it's a bit of fun as well as giving scale in some instances. For me if you have the showstopper in the bag nothing wrong with a bit of human intervention. No1 I like the gesture of the hands (almost like 'the whole world in his hands' ). Although quite prominent figure... Lovely light!
No2 great light (not to be missed) and love the clouds almost at the same level.
No3 now this is where the figure really hits the scaling button (not that it needs it) but with that perspective it really does the job, nice work Matty!

Uuummmm interesting file naming? I think No1 should be renamed 'look mum no hands' ..... No shorts Matty what an earth is going on?:D

Cheers Steve, its a cracking viewpoint from up there, and one I have plans to hit again. With regard to the inclusion of a figure in the shot, primarily, I am after a landscape image, which I want to keep as natural and untainted as possible. This is usually the main focus (unless I'm shooting something like that Eskdale Needle, where I feel the figure adds to the context of the scene) but I do enjoy setting up a shot subsequently to factor in a 10second hit and run. Primarily to annoy @Neil Burnell with my jackets!
The third shot was a hard one to compose, as I'd have liked the person a bit more into the frame, but including any more foreground lessened the impact a little I think. It was a hard trade off, but I think this is probably a shot I could do better, now I know the potential of the location. I'll be back up Dale Head again, no doubt, so I'll see what I can conjure. It does set the scale really well though!
I gave up with file naming a long time ago, flickr is just a big back up for literally everything I process, and I can't be bothered naming files individually. I just mash the keyboard a couple of times before the upload. Oh....and thats not me in the 2nd shot. It was shorts all the way.
Cheers buddy, much appreciated. Did you ever dip your toe in the Zeiss pool? I remember you were considering it?

Lovely Matt hands out indeed in #1 I recall doing that myself last outing in the hills of Snowdonia, just returned from three weeks in Dorset not photography trip but the day job:( however managed to get out once or twice with camera, thanks for sahring! Ps yes Steve had the 21mm for Xmas I believe.
Kevin.

Hi Guys
'A 10 second hit and run' well don't run too fast, too near the edge, we don't want to be scraping you up of the bottom now do we;) We'd miss looking at your shots:D.
I quite like the third shot, although it doesn't quite have the same light as 1&2. I know the figure is on the edge of the frame and unobtrusive but that little path of light hitting the ridge and leading you into the figure I think is quite masterful.
Even with the best planning it's hard to get a feel for the place and how the light falls until you have actually been there and recce'd the place isn't it.

Well I didn't know @Neil Burnell liked the bright jackets so much, I'll have to do some selfie's in my mountain jackets then;) to my mind mountain jackets should be as bright and gaudy as possible so MREW can easily find my bruised and battered body at the bottom of some mountain somewhere:eek:.

I did get the Zeiss .... Finally..... bit of a belated Xmas present as @Kevin O'Brian says, the acquisition was a bit delayed due to a combination of day job workload and me fannying around, and although I have been on holiday to hot and sunny climes (Not my choice I hasten to add, that was SWMBO) I have not had the opportunity to use it in anger. Which I need to sort asap.

BTW visiting these hot countries where the light just bleachs everything just makes you really appreciate our great UK landscape even more, there is nothing like them IMHO, you only have to look through these pages to prove that!

The first shot was taken after I'd bagged a similar composition a little earlier in the morning, which I feel is a much stronger image. I just want to ensure it is bang on, before I post it. Once that was done, then I allow myself to mess around with shots like these.
Wow. You've got a better one ?!?! Super shot. Whilst I too would chose the person out option if you have that in the bag then fair enough. I do like how the shape of the arms match the shape of the valley sides.

Lovely Matt hands out indeed in #1 I recall doing that myself last outing in the hills of Snowdonia, just returned from three weeks in Dorset not photography trip but the day job:( however managed to get out once or twice with camera, thanks for sahring! Ps yes Steve had the 21mm for Xmas I believe.
Kevin.

Thanks Kevin, it was an attempt at something a little different to the man on a rock shot that I've been doing. It just seemed to fit with the lay of the valley. Dorset has some great stuff to shoot, I've only spent a couple of days down there before, but the South West is a lovely part of the country. Bet you're glad to back in the hills now though!!

Hi Guys
'A 10 second hit and run' well don't run too fast, too near the edge, we don't want to be scraping you up of the bottom now do we;) We'd miss looking at your shots:D.
I quite like the third shot, although it doesn't quite have the same light as 1&2. I know the figure is on the edge of the frame and unobtrusive but that little path of light hitting the ridge and leading you into the figure I think is quite masterful.
Even with the best planning it's hard to get a feel for the place and how the light falls until you have actually been there and recce'd the place isn't it.

Well I didn't know @Neil Burnell liked the bright jackets so much, I'll have to do some selfie's in my mountain jackets then;) to my mind mountain jackets should be as bright and gaudy as possible so MREW can easily find my bruised and battered body at the bottom of some mountain somewhere:eek:.

I did get the Zeiss .... Finally..... bit of a belated Xmas present as @Kevin O'Brian says, the acquisition was a bit delayed due to a combination of day job workload and me fannying around, and although I have been on holiday to hot and sunny climes (Not my choice I hasten to add, that was SWMBO) I have not had the opportunity to use it in anger. Which I need to sort asap.

BTW visiting these hot countries where the light just bleachs everything just makes you really appreciate our great UK landscape even more, there is nothing like them IMHO, you only have to look through these pages to prove that!

Cheers Steve, Glad to hear you bagged the Zeiss. I'm sure it will see you well. Mine took a trip down a cliff on Saturday, along with my 5d3, so I am very lucky, and very glad that theyre both built like tanks. I'm with you on the bright jackets. I've always been an advocate from my snowboarding days, much easier to pick out in an avalanche, and much better to stand out in a photo too. I'm getting pretty good at the 10 second hit and run, but there have been a couple of times, where I have had to just leave the shutter firing, when I shot the pinnacle by the Prison on the Quiraing - ended up with about 400shots to wade through to get the one that I wanted!!
The third shot was a pain to compose, I think this is the best angle I could have got, but I have some ideas for a return trip. I wish the light had stuck around a little longer, but you can't have it all eh!
I hear you about the harsh light, I lived in Greece for a while, and it was always a pain to shoot. That, and clear skies 24/7 was always a nightmare. We don't have it easy over here, but it is lovely when it all comes together! I'd still move back to France in a heartbeat if I got the chance - and my mrs would let me!!!

Wow. You've got a better one ?!?! Super shot. Whilst I too would chose the person out option if you have that in the bag then fair enough. I do like how the shape of the arms match the shape of the valley sides.

I think I have Peter, but I want to spend a little time to ensure I maximise its potential. It's hard even finding five minutes to jump into LR at the moment. Appreciate your comments, and I hope I'll have a good one to share with you soon

Back