South-West England Newquay (Cornwall)

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
We are heading down there on the 16th and top of my list is st Michael's mount (sunrise/sunset not decided yet) could anyone recommend anywhere else im a national trust member so thats covered but places to see would bereally appreciated.

Mark

Near to Newquay is a little beach called Poly Joke Beach. You should find it if you google it, as with all these places in Cornwall they are much more pleasant if the sun is out, photography wise I'm not so sure there is a lot there but it's very idillic.

Ill be heading down early sun morn due to work commitments on sat so was thinking of stopping off at golitha falls on way down so question is whats parking like also is it much of a hike as after a 4hr trip will be hanging lol .

Hmm...
St Michaels Mount is a fair distance from Newquay, about an hour drive, road distance is about 35 miles.
Sunrise is probably the better option for shooting.
Sunset is not behind the mount, you need to move round past Marazion towards Perranuthnoe to get the best sunset angle, and even then the sun goes behind the headland at the western side of Mounts Bay.

There is a guide to Golitha Falls here.
I've never been there so I'm afraid I cannot help with details.

Hmm...
St Michaels Mount is a fair distance from Newquay, about an hour drive, road distance is about 35 miles.
Sunrise is probably the better option for shooting.
Sunset is not behind the mount, you need to move round past Marazion towards Perranuthnoe to get the best sunset angle, and even then the sun goes behind the headland at the western side of Mounts Bay.

There is a guide to Golitha Falls here.
I've never been there so I'm afraid I cannot help with details.
Distance wont be a problem tbh

https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/Gweek

Extract
These days the village is perhaps best known for the National Seal Sanctuary, where injured seals or pups seperated from their mothers are brought for treatment, rehabilitation and hopefully release. The sanctuary is also home to some non-indigenous species such as Californian and Patagonian Sea Lions along with a variety of other animals, including otters and farm animals.

Newquay's great but quite a way from St Michael's Mount. Bedruthan Steps are close to Newquay though, and when you're down the south coast Kynance Cove is gorgeous

I've just spent 5 hours scanning slides of newquay from 2 weeks ago, I need a bit of a cuddle after that really but if you don't want to travel too far and are looking for scenic stuff, I love the beaches, whipsederry beach next to porth is bonza, which is pretty quiet due to the mother of all staircases down to it, porth joke is next to crantock which in itself is bonza, there is also the Gannel, upon which you may find a few wrecked boats, trevose lighthouse ain't too far up the coast and there's the Cornwal aviation museum at St Mawgan, its not been open long and there isn't a lot there but the staff are awesome and you get to sit in a harrier...:D

I lived in cornwall until I was 21 so have seen the majority of what's on offer - although i was in the deep dark south of cornwall not too close to the tourist spots of north cornwall.

I would 100% recommend a trip to Gwithian beach. Gorgeous beach with a lighthouse close by. Follow the road down to the Godrevy car park (National Trust) and you can take a look over the cliffs onto the seals on the beach too.

If you find yourself down near Lands end then I would suggest a stop at Minack Theatre/Porthcurno beach. It's my favourite spot of all. Below picture taken at Porthcurno in April this year.

IMG_1296.jpg

Back