News programmes showing video in portrait mode

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Just watching the news on tv this morning, and the news is showing a video clip of something going on. The news programme have put silly borders on either side of the video, while the original video had no borders on either side, and was obviously done in landscape mode. The original video was done by a member of the public in landscape mode, but the programme probably thinks it looks better showing the clip in portrait mode.

I wonder if it is because they think the video clip looks better, coming from a random person walking along the street, who happens to witness the even. So to enforce the fact it is an amateur video, put borders either side of the video. I personally don't like they way they do that, I think it looks distracting and annoying. I suppose there will be some, who actually like it.

When I see the sort of videos you are talking about to me it is because;-

They are mobile phone videos and the vast majority (all?) such phone users never think to rotate their phones to landscape orientation.

So the videos are therefore 'portrait' but the TV companies for a reason I don't grasp pad the screen with what looks like an OOF repetition of the video itself.

I have yet to recall seeing what looks like a 'native' landscape orientation vox pop news video?

They are mobile phone videos and the vast majority (all?) such phone users never think to rotate their phones to landscape orientation.

So the videos are therefore 'portrait' but the TV companies for a reason I don't grasp pad the screen with what looks like an OOF repetition of the video itself.

I have yet to recall seeing what looks like a 'native' landscape orientation vox pop news video?

This is the bit annoys me also.

Maybe they also think amateur content is more exciting, or real. A bit like readers wives photos and videos. Professional adult film makers would purposely wobble shake, or slightly miss focus, and claim the video was shot by a real amateur. Probably trying to make the video seem more real, and exciting. :)

Because the original was wider angle, obviously done in landscape. But when it was shown on the news, it had borders on.
But how do you know the original was wide angle?

But how do you know the original was wide angle?

It just looked wide angle. The version on TV was cropped by borders either side, the original had more content on either side.

It just looked wide angle. The version on TV was cropped by borders either side, the original had more content on either side.

Were the borders black or blurry? If they're blurry, it's not missing content, it's just blurry versions of what you're seeing in the middle. It's just their way of filling the screen.

these videos are shot in portrait on a mobile phone, the blurry borders are, as has been mentioned, blurred repetitions of what's in the centre of the screen, probably done by the TV producers so that there aren't huge black borders on the screen, to maybe try to keep the whole screen 'light' (?). remember some people have TVs that are enormous so they are probably catering for all viewers.

Were the borders black or blurry? If they're blurry, it's not missing content, it's just blurry versions of what you're seeing in the middle. It's just their way of filling the screen.

Yes, something like what @Box Brownie said. But I get irritated easily, and It messes with my eyes when they do that. ;)

these videos are shot in portrait on a mobile phone, the blurry borders are, as has been mentioned, blurred repetitions of what's in the centre of the screen, probably done by the TV producers so that there aren't huge black borders on the screen, to maybe try to keep the whole screen 'light' (?). remember some people have TVs that are enormous so they are probably catering for all viewers.

Just the way my brain works, I find it distracting putting fuzzy borders either side of video.

Just the way my brain works, I find it distracting putting fuzzy borders either side of video.

i know what you mean, it irritates me too. It also irritates me that they sometimes how video that is so ridiculously bad that you can't make anything out anyway, if you can't see it or make out what's happening then surely there's no value in broadcasting it.

i know what you mean, it irritates me too. It also irritates me that they sometimes how video that is so ridiculously bad that you can't make anything out anyway, if you can't see it or make out what's happening then surely there's no value in broadcasting it.

Same as in the paper the other day, they had obviously use a photo from a mobile phone user, who had submitted the photo. It showed a person being attacked, with the caption"do you know this person?". The photo was so pixelated you could not tell what it was, it was just a fuzzy blob. And photographers worry about their photos being good enough to publish in a newspaper, yet the newspaper will accept any old fuzzy pixelated blob.

I think many of the younger generation video and photograph in portrait mode because that works best on some of the social media platforms they use. If my daughter wants a pic taken of her on the phone, she always wants it taken in portrait mode.

Back