Beginner Next Door's Kid.

I clicked through onto your Flickr Saul, and Pic 2 addresses most of the issues here. This one suffers a bit from a lack of engagement with the camera, a very tight crop on the right and a lack of a highlight in his eye, but Pic 2 has all of these. B&W can be a tough shift and the very bright white of his sleeve draws the eye into the shot, but then makes the shadow on his mouth and his bowtie look even deeper. In an ideal world you might want to avoid the patterned curtain as a background, but sometimes we have to shoot what we are presented with.

I clicked through onto your Flickr Saul, and Pic 2 addresses most of the issues here. This one suffers a bit from a lack of engagement with the camera, a very tight crop on the right and a lack of a highlight in his eye, but Pic 2 has all of these. B&W can be a tough shift and the very bright white of his sleeve draws the eye into the shot, but then makes the shadow on his mouth and his bowtie look even deeper. In an ideal world you might want to avoid the patterned curtain as a background, but sometimes we have to shoot what we are presented with.
Thank you for the comment. He's only 4 months old and had to be held, hence the tight crop.

kid next door 1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

it would be more 'alive' if there were catchlights in the eyes...which can be put there
as regards a portrait....or shot of next doors kid
its ok...and shows disengagement with the camera...rather natural i think
try not to have such a noticeable background next time...make it a plain one
cheers
geof

Last edited:
kid next door 1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

it would be more 'alive' if there were catchlights in the eyes...which can be put there
as regards a portrait....or shot of next doors kid
its ok...and shows disengagement with the camera...rather natural i think
try not to have such a noticeable background next time...make it a plain one
cheers
geof

The catchlights you've added are in the wrong place.. makes him look as though he's got laser eyes :)

The catchlights you've added are in the wrong place.. makes him look as though he's got laser eyes :)

i know it was a bit of a bodge and wanted it to be better...i hope Saul understands my motive in just showing an example...
sorry all
say...could you please add them in the correct places...???
i wont charge as i am tied up at the moment

No worries, I'm still watching/learning how to add catch light's. Still better than what I could have achieved.

i know it was a bit of a bodge and wanted it to be better...i hope Saul understands my motive in just showing an example...
sorry all
say...could you please add them in the correct places...???
i wont charge as i am tied up at the moment
On my phone... but the answer is 'not really'. If the light was going to cause catch lights then they'd be there already. Adding them will inevitably put them in the wrong place. It might be possible to get close but I don't think it's worth the effort.

No worries, I'm still watching/learning how to add catch light's. Still better than what I could have achieved.

On my phone... but the answer is 'not really'. If the light was going to cause catch lights then they'd be there already. Adding them will inevitably put them in the wrong place. It might be possible to get close but I don't think it's worth the effort.
There is a catchlight in the original image (just one) and it's in 'the right place'.

However, it doesn't really affect any of the real problems that are present in the original image - a bit of a red herring.

There is a catchlight in the original image (just one) and it's in 'the right place'.

However, it doesn't really affect any of the real problems that are present in the original image - a bit of a red herring.

yes i remember...and i took it out as i thought it was too much to the side
should have emphasised it and repeat on the other eye... never a dull day here, what?

Back