Nichola

Love the lighting. It's a shame about the pout though.

Thanks Ruth. I quite like the pout and the eyes looking out of shot because it's a bit of her character coming through. The lighting was 'fortunate' with a white tablecloth bouncing light back onto her face and the rimlight from the window behind - no clever set up and just lucky to have the presence of mind to see it outside the camera. At some stage I hope to photograph her for herself, but not sure how that will work out yet: she's a beautiful woman and it would be a shame not to do so.

This is the original un-cropped image - I think the expression came because she was ticked off with something her mum was saying.
LAWedding-3213 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sorry but the trout pout ruins it for me.

Its a shame because the lighting is really nice , and a far more natural pose would have made a very portrait.

The larger image does add a degree of context and makes it better - not perfect, but better.

I like the shot. It is expressive on both of their parts and the daughter is very pretty.

Thanks guys. It's not a posed portrait, and on that basis I quite enjoyed it, but understand the pout doesn't necessarily please.

No critique to add as such Toni, more just a post to say I like Nichola's portrait.
I obviously don't know her but I'm willing to hazard a guess that if any of her family/friends were to see this they may well say that you've captured her character in the photo.
It may well be a 'face' she makes regularly.
I'm rambling a bit now but I hope you get what I mean? :D

ETA Its the lighting in particular that I like.

Last edited:
No critique to add as such Toni, more just a post to say I like Nichola's portrait.
I obviously don't know her but I'm willing to hazard a guess that if any of her family/friends were to see this they may well say that you've captured her character in the photo.
It may well be a 'face' she makes regularly.
I'm rambling a bit now but I hope you get what I mean? :D

ETA Its the lighting in particular that I like.

Thanks Iain, and yes, I believe this expression is not unusual. ;)

Back