weekly Nickbee's very late 52: final three photos added - done!

Quality ... birdseye view, plus the B&W works a treat. (y)

Think the lighting, composition ans subject are great, really like this very clever shot.

There's a right way? :confused:[/QUOTE]

:D Depends if you're left or right handed. Have this discussion with my son, he's a lefty and I'm right handed. If you were using the board the pointy end would be pointing away from the hand with the iron and so the point of the iron goes towards the point of the board. So to my slightly odd mind either the board or the iron is the wrong way round. Hope that makes sense :D

Thanks @Dark Knight @d00d @Bearair @rpn I've been really pleased with the reaction to this one, I didn't expect it.

...the point of the iron goes towards the point of the board.

What?! I've been ironing my own shirts for 15 years and apparently I've been wrong the whole time. I'd go and post about it on Talk Laundry but I don't go on there since the whole Morphy Richards versus Tefal thing kicked off.

Right, on to week, er, 5.

Mineral

05 Mineral
by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Well, to say I wasn't very inspired by this theme is an understatement. I was on the verge of deleting my account and selling all my camera gear when I noticed my parents had this nice amesthyst egg. Add a piece of paper with a hole in it and one phone torch and hey presto, a glowing egg.

Lol - I think a few of us felt like that! I love the way the backlighting has shown up the beautiful range of purples in the amethyst, and the spill of light out front. It feels a tiny bit harsh to me near the bottom, but I guess toning it down might have lost you that lovely lighting near the top.

That's a great photo, lovely shades of colour and texture against a deep black background. Exposure wise it's not perfect between the top and the bottom of the egg, but I guess you had to compromise somewhere.

Thanks @Emja @brrnd It's not backlit, the egg is actually sitting on the light source! The exposure became more even if I moved the angle down so I wasn't pointing the camera directly at the light but I like the reflections around the egg, which got lost a bit from a different perspective. This is SOOC; perhaps I could/should have tried to even it up in processing.

Last edited:
:clap:for posting when not inspired ... always hard but best to break through that barrier as you've done. Lovely colour and the texture like cracked ice.

I was on the verge of deleting my account and selling all my camera gear ....

I know the feeling ... when I think I'm up to date with it all only to find there's 50 contestants with pictures awaiting my critique. :eek:

I'm not sure what to make of your mineral TBH Nick, but I'm inspired by your lighting technique. And it is nice colour.

I like the colours and think it might benefit fro a little Lightroom magic, I don't it needs much but maybe a lift of the shadows would really make the purple pop. It also looks a little soft, focus wise. Well done on pushing through though, I'm having that same feeling with "whole" (y)

Love the colours from the middle of the egg up, as others have said the bottom is a bit harsh. While it's nice to see the whole egg I wonder if it would have worked with a tight crop taking the bottom off the egg?

Keep going, I'm sure some weeks will be more inspiring than others.

Hi Nick.
Smooth - I wouldn't have realised it wasn't perfectly vertical, looks pretty spot on to me.
I like the mono conversion, I think it works well. Colour would (I think) be a bit distracting.

Mineral - Lovely purple colours there, a very eye catching shot.

Thanks @Carl Ayling @d00d @ChrisHeathcote @SteveSc @LC2 There are a few faults with Mineral, but considering how short I was for ideas I'm pleased to have come up with something eye-catching even if it's not technically perfect.

Right, on to week 6...

06 Whole

[ur=lhttps://flic.kr/p/RzRHDy]06 Whole[/url] by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Whole on-the-vine tomatoes. I couldn't think of anything clever so I just went for a snapshot of something colourful!

Looks very colourful Nick and certainly illustrates Whole. Like the textured bg and the contrast in colours.

Nice colours and well lit, but I'm not so sure about the shallow DoF. I think I would like to see all tomatoes in focus.

Mineral - fits the theme and I like the nice purple of the rock.

Whole - lovely nice bright red on the them tomatoes, good sharp focus on the front 2, there's a couple of tiny specs on the tomato on the right that I would of cloned out.

Thanks @Carl Ayling @brrnd @Dave70D @Emja @Pinkbikerbabe @d00d @LC2

Having come back and looked at this again, I agree completely about the focus. It was taken right after I'd been trying to take a photo picking out one whole pepper amongst many chopped ones, so my brain was in shallow-focus mode. But it makes no sense for this photo. Hey ho.

Right, on to a similarly substandard but much tardier week 7...

07 Structure

07 Structure

I drive past this building site every day and this was the first thing that popped into my head when the topic came up. It still took me bloody ages to get out and take the shot, even thought I knew what I was going to do. The eagle-eyed amongst you mght have noticed that I've turned up the contrast a little, rather pretentiously justfied by trying to solidity of the structure and its impact on its surroundings (and unpretetiously, because the sky was blue but flat and this made it all rather more eye-catching). I tried to add some noise in too to make it look gritty but I struggled to make it look like it did in my head.

Incidentally, this wasn't my favourite photo. I also took one looking up at the underside of a viaduct but the shot got ruined by weird flare in the middle of the image. Flickr obviously hates weird flare because it won't let link to it, bu tif you're a really big fan of viaducts (or, I suppose, flare) then feel free to look at my photostream.

Last edited:
Its leaning a little to the left, suits the high contrasty black and white very stark

mineral - reminds me of the original poster for Alien. also, reminds me of crystal maze too, for some reason. nice pic tho :)
whole - really juicy looking tomatoes. agree with the comment they're look nicer all sharp and in focus but otherwise, really nice colours and composition
structure - definitely my fave but agree with the comment it needs a sliiiiiight straighten. apart from that, i don't think I'd change it. B&W works for me

"stark" is a good word for it! An abandoned building site, is my guess. Decidedly wonky ... it seems the floors aren't parallels, and it leans to the left ... still. :) Gritty.

Does it still look wonky on Flickr? That lighter coloured pillar is dead straight when I look at it.

Still leaning to the left on here, the flickr version though is straight. Something weird going on with the link? (esp as you couldn't get the viaduct to work). Sorry, but the sky really doesn't work for me (but what can you do if it's like that? other than wait for a different day...)
I do actually prefer the viaduct shot, it's more unusual for a start.

Thanks @Allan.H @Dave70D @magpiedom @d00d @LC2 @Emja I've fixed the leaning (see above) but there's not much I can do about the plain sky. To me, black on white looked better than grey on blue but some clouds would have been nice.

With regard to the lean, there are no optical illusions here. I deleted the shots completely from Flickr and re-posted all the links and now it seems to be fine.

I can also now link to the viaduct shot:

arch

Maybe I should have gone with this one but the spots in the middle annoy me enomously!

Last edited:
Is it week 9 already? Well, here's something for week 8: Routine

08 Routine

I have literally nothing to say about this one. I really hope I get a shot that I find exciting soon!

Back