weekly Nickbee's very late 52: final three photos added - done!

Thanks @granddad john @d00d @Dave70D @Nostromo @Dark Knight @Emja

I did get a clear shot of the Mustang, but having it slightly obscured by the plane in the foreground gave a greater sense of aboveness, if there is such a thing. If you're interested I put that one plus a handful of photos from the day on my photostream.

And with that, on to week 14!

14 Evolved

13 Evolved
by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Hell yeah, opposable thumbs. If dolphins had these babies they'd be ruling the planet but as it is, they and their stupid flippers are confined to the sea. Suck on that you no-armed freaks.

In other news it turns out that it's remarkably difficult to take a decent photo of one's own hand.

Power/above, you've used you visit well to get 2 good shots.

Evolve, seems a popular idea, the processing to me gives it a vintage look for the cover of an old novel.

(y)

I agree really difficult to take a pic of your own hand, bang on theme nicely processed

Hi Nick,

Dark - Nicely done. There is enough lighting, selectively, but the whole thing is very dark. Did you do it with a snoot to direct the flash?

Power - Ooh, I thought that looked like a blackbird before I read your description. Great imagery, worked well enough to portray what the plane was without actually showing much of it.

Above - It can be difficult getting a good shot at places like Duxford, because many exhibits. I think you done good with this though. Including the engine and sufficient of the lower plane to frame the P-51. Yup, me like. :clap:

Evolve(d) - LOL, stupid flippers indeed. Good idea for the theme. Not 100% on the execution, too much blown out I fear (for me anyway).

Some great shots since I last commented on your thread
Your routine shot is is spot on for me, and I like vibrant back round of your attract shot.
I also really like the way you have framed the higher plane with the lower plane in your above shot.

Overdue thanks @foggy4ever @susiejb @Allan.H @Emja @michael23 @Dave70D @LC2 @minx for your comments! Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on the forum for a couple of weeks.

@LC2 Yes sort of - I used a snoot cobbled together out of used cereal packets to shoot the Dark picture.

And with that onto week, er, whatever it is, I've lost count.

Last edited:
Week 15 Hold

14 Hold

I went up to check on my youngest then went running back down to grab my camera (and an OCF). I wish she had been wearing less busy pyjamas but hey ho. If I was better at photoshop I'd have cloned out the little bit of pattern behind her lip for a more defined shape.

Week 16 Smoke

16 Smoke

Candles. I haven't looked through the thread yet but I bet no-one else has thought of this.

Week 17 Vivid

17 Vivid

Shot with a flash to the side and another blowing out the background sheet for MAXIMUM WHITENESS. It's maybe too white if there is such a thing.

Pretty much all straight from the camera aside from brightness adjustments on Hold and Smoke and a crop to the former (I had to use a wider frame due to the unpredictability of the direction of the smoke),

Last edited:
Some nice shots, but to be really picky....

Hold, looks a bit flat, a bit lacking in dynamic range. I'm sure you could pull out the whites a little bit, something like this maybe...

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 14.48.08.png

Smoke nice idea and it works well, tho I might have straightened the candles even if it was done in pp.

Vivid, cracking, can't fault it. I like that sort of high/low key flower shot, super nice.

Nice work.

Thanks @Dave70D I'm glad you like the pictures.

@KernowChris Thanks for the advice - you're completely right about the photo of Emma. I went all the way back to the RAW file and fiddled about, I like this much more now. However, photoshopping the candles straight is one step too far!

Hold - Lovely photo of your daughter, a good shot for the theme but also one to treasure for the future.
Smoke - Nice choice to use the candles and have the smoke blurred.
Vivid - Very bright and vivid shot, agree with your comment about it being a bit too white....it feels a bit harsh to my eyes but not sure what is causing it.

Lovely shot of your daughter, can't really fault it, candles need a straighten, you will be sick of hearing that soon , excellent white BG on the flowers my only problem with it is the big leaf at the top sort of dominates the image a little

Vivid, very vivid, I like hi key but you've lost some detail in the highlights.

Hold, wonderful, in the land of nod with all the wonderful childlike dreams :)

Cheers.

Young lady holding rabbit ... a beaut .... tho I do like Chris's edit. (y)

Vivid (y)

Smoke ... love it! Three colourful, characterful candles ... works a treat. (y)

Beautiful photo of your daughter she looks so peaceful, lost in lovely dreams ...definitely one to treasure.
Candles ...an excellent choice for the theme, composition works really well.
Vivid, there is a tiny loss of definition in the edges of the petals, but its still a very eye catching shot of a beautiful orchid.

Hold - Lovely photo of your daughter, a good shot for the theme but also one to treasure for the future.
Smoke - Nice choice to use the candles and have the smoke blurred.
Vivid - Very bright and vivid shot, agree with your comment about it being a bit too white....it feels a bit harsh to my eyes but not sure what is causing it.

Thanks Steve. I had had every intention of doing something with a flash for the smoke shot but there was too much glare off the metallic candles. I shot under the kitchen's liked the effect of the longer exposure. The background of the flowers is eye-bleedingly bright on my laptop but looks great on my phone. I might print it out so I can look at it without damaging my eyes.

Lovely shot of your daughter, can't really fault it, candles need a straighten, you will be sick of hearing that soon , excellent white BG on the flowers my only problem with it is the big leaf at the top sort of dominates the image a little

Thanks Allan. I tried the flower shot without the leaf for that exact reason but ultimately preferred the versions with it left in. None of you can handle the angle of my candle.

Vivid, very vivid, I like hi key but you've lost some detail in the highlights.

Hold, wonderful, in the land of nod with all the wonderful childlike dreams :)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I was throwing as much light as I could at the orchid to bring out the colours but yeah, the white bits are all very white!

Young lady holding rabbit ... a beaut .... tho I do like Chris's edit. (y)

Vivid (y)

Smoke ... love it! Three colourful, characterful candles ... works a treat. (y)

Thank you! I re-edited and re-posted my photo after Chris's suggestion. Glad you like the candles' character. They'd be less characterful if they were straight. :whistle:

Beautiful photo of your daughter she looks so peaceful, lost in lovely dreams ...definitely one to treasure.
Candles ...an excellent choice for the theme, composition works really well.
Vivid, there is a tiny loss of definition in the edges of the petals, but its still a very eye catching shot of a beautiful orchid.

Thanks for the positive comments Susie! The photo of Emma will be in a frame soon if my wife has anything to do with it.

Nice set, Hold is enchanting. Candles and flowers work well.

"Enchanting" - what a nice way to describe it. Thanks!

I like the composition of the candles shot - works really well, but the photo of your daughter is just beautiful. The pattern doesn't detract at all for me - the strong crop keeps attention just where it needs to be on her face and hand. Perfect!

Great catch-up! I like the simplicity of your candles shot.

Hi Nick,

Hold - Makes me thinks awww cute :) Great snuggle portrait.

Smoke - There is almost two separate photos in that shot. The top & bottom halves could stand alone.
They do, however, work well combined.

Vivid - I'm not sure it needs the leaves as they don't come out hi-key, whereas teh rest of the shot works really well with that lighting.

Hey Nick - you still with us buddy :wave:
Hey mate, thanks for checking! I'm still here in spirit! I've made the mistake of being too fussy over the photos and I've fallen far behind waiting for the right shot.

I struggle to fit this in so if I don't learn to be a bit less picky I'm not going to make it to the end. I'm not giving in, I just have a lot of catching up to do!

Well, thanks to all those of you who have posted since I was last here. Here's my monthly catch-up...

18 Large

18 Large

Least. Inspired. Photo. Ever.

19 Architecture

19 Architecture

I had the idea for this whilst waiting for the inspiration that never came for Large. I attempted to take it a few times but the sky was never right. I finally got this one - I like the way the reflection of the clouds vaguely lines up with those in the sky.

20 Broken

20 Broken

If you're wondering what equipment I used for this, it was a ruler.

21 Transport

21 Transport

If you knew these bikes were outside a railway station it would seem even more transportacious. Actually now you do, so hopefully it does.

Thanks for looking.

Great catch-up Nick. I like the architecture, you're right about the clouds, they add a sense of scale. Love the broken and the use of high tech accessories;)

Transport looks like every railway station in a university city!

Great catch-up! My favourite in architecture, great PoV and great sky reflecting in the windows. Also great PoV and DoF for transport. I like the composition and B&W conversion works well.

Large is clever and well shot.
Architecture is very nice, like the angles and pov.
Broken, an original take on the theme....

Good to see you back Nick. (y)

Quality stuff, top images for the respective themes.

Architecture is especially well caught with that perspective and symmetry.

Large - no reason that doesn't work and not something I would have come up with. Nicely composed.

Architecture - Nice angles, symmetrical and your patience paid off.

Broken - that works too, nicely as well.

Transport - Looks like someone needs to put some air in their tyre.

Well done!

Nick's Next Big Catch Up Post

Well, it's been a while. Most of these were actually taken in the cirrect week, I was just desperately stuck on 'minimalist'.

22 Minimalist

22 Minimalist

Short of ideas, I decided to take a photo of a section of dado rail. Obviously.

23 Progress

23 Progress

I preferred the concept to the execution on this, but my six-year old could only ride her new bike past so many times before losing patience with me. B&W for no reason other than I didn't really like the colours.

24 Pleasurable

24 Pleasure

The girls were pouring cold water from the paddling pool over themselves to gain some respite form the heat and I snapped this.

25 Tiny

25 Tiny

I so very nearly bought a macro lens a few weeks back! Ah well. iPod nano. The background is a textured section on one of my wife's running tops.

A good catch up of editing and posting, and all nice images for the themes Nick, took me a second to work out the dado image but works well :)

Ipod is a nice bright image for sure, though for me the background is a tad overpowering, still a nice clean shot with a good Dof :)

Pleasure is a cool image, I did wonder how they were getting pleasure from it, but your description explains all, a nice capture and liking the point of view from the rear (y)

Minimalist really good Nick and really vivid colour in Tiny. Given this weather I would think it was truly Pleasurable.

Like the idea in Progress but distracted by the white marks in the hedge and the flare.

Anyway a good catch up.

Back