NickDs TP52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase... Bring on 2022!

Week 7 - (depict a) Film.

Another hurried shot as I'm up to the neck in half term activities. Lit with my phone in one hand and shot with the other against a piece of A4 printer paper. A tweak in Snapseed, and a silly frame just because I thought it emphasised the theme in this case.... It's a bit obvious isn't it? (no, it's not 'Tangerine with a drum tuning key wedged in it'!)

Obvious? by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely presented and lit, got the film name after thinking about it for a min. It was before my time and I have never watched it

I'm old enough to know that film, and the concept of a winder on something is not alien. I got it straight away. Nicely done. (Though the frame does make it look like it is in a sardine tin)

Worked out the image straight away, should it be mirrored vertically to read the title from left to right?

Pair
It's a pair of headphones, the fact that they are joined by a band, is neither here nor there.
I like the black & white and it's a good choice of dof.

Nice one Nick. Got the film straight away but did laugh at your 'tangerine with a drum tuning key wedged in it' comment.
I like humour in photography and this has it, good work (y)

Great shot considering your description. I got it straight away but then it's my era :)

Clever stuff! Loving the result, and the tight frame works a treat. The tangerine is an odd shade of orange.

Nicely presented and lit, got the film name after thinking about it for a min. It was before my time and I have never watched it

Thanks!
It's kinda before my time too... It was released the year I was born, but it was essential viewing in my late teens. I must dig it out again!

I'm old enough to know that film, and the concept of a winder on something is not alien. I got it straight away. Nicely done. (Though the frame does make it look like it is in a sardine tin)

Cheers!
Damn it.... the frame supposed to be TV screen-esqe. Still, at least I know what to use if I do a sardine shot! :ROFLMAO:

I like that and I think I got the film too unless the tangerine is what it is and not another fruit of the same colour!

Thank You!
Nope, you got it. Sadly the tangerine was all I had to hand, and in the chaos of half term it had to do.

Got it as soon as I saw it, very good take on theme.

Thanks!
I did wonder if it was a bit too obvious, but I was pushed for time.

A film I've not seen, but a perfection depiction of the title. Well done. I like the frame.

Cheers!
It's a pretty horrible movie to be fair, but then it's supposed to feel uneasy throughout I think. I did think the frame added to the feel in this case, as part of the photo itself, rather than a separate thing.

Nice idea and your version works well

Thank you!
It's pretty simple, direct interpretation. I knew I wouldn't really get out anywhere, so just started looking round the house for something that fit.

Worked out the image straight away, should it be mirrored vertically to read the title from left to right?

Cheers!
That would be logical really.... It honestly never occurred to me. I saw it this way in my head initially and never really considered another option.

Pair
It's a pair of headphones, the fact that they are joined by a band, is neither here nor there.
I like the black & white and it's a good choice of dof.

Thanks!
I shot it in mono (in the Acros simulation), as I tend to do that for anything related to our music projects, to maintain a reasonably consistent style for the website/social media, etc. Had I shot it in colour I would have converted it anyway, as that fake carbon finish just cries out for it.

Nice one Nick. Got the film straight away but did laugh at your 'tangerine with a drum tuning key wedged in it' comment.
I like humour in photography and this has it, good work (y)

Thank You!
It's just how I think. If there's not some amusement in something it's not worth doing (unless of course, you're getting paid huge amounts of cash!)

Great shot considering your description. I got it straight away but then it's my era :)

Cheers!
I think if the film is on your radar, it couldn't be more direct!

Clever stuff! Loving the result, and the tight frame works a treat. The tangerine is an odd shade of orange.

Thanks!
Well spotted. I do wonder if it's because of the LED light on my phone that I used to light it with?

Film
Not too hard to get the film from this. Nicely done.

Thank you!
I thought it was pretty obvious. The more I thought about it, the harder it is as a theme to get an image from.

At last one I could get straight away! I like the frame you gave this, finishes it off nicely.

Cheers!
I initially looked at 'film edge' type frames, but the ones in Snapseed have light leaks and scratches for added effect, which looked a bit too much for the clean look of the image.

Week 8 - Half

Now... where did I put that shoehorn?

I really didn't fancy another home product type shot this week, so looked around desperately for anything that could be shoehorned in while on our weekend walks. I'm going with this as 'half finished'... although given my lack of construction knowledge it could be 60, 70 or 80% complete for all I know. Taken through a gap in a locked enclosure, arousing the suspicion of the security guy, and off before he released the hounds. Shot in Acros and just cropped slightly in Snapseed. Obviously some sky would have improved it, but you can only work with what you have.

Half Finished by Nick, on Flickr

where did you put that crowbar? :ROFLMAO:

I'd say your new house is coming along nicely.

Acros is film simulation, right? Well it looks very detailed.

Half
Not really a shoehorn, it covers the theme really well. I like the b/w. I know there's not a lot you could have done about it, but the van is a bit dominant.

I agree about the van, but not a shoe horn its definitely half finished

Judging by the name on the van it would have been the dogs that would have been let loose, unless the security firm are Doctor Who fans and a metal robot was going to slowly chase you!

It fits the theme for me. I rather like the van.. it adds interest to the image (who let the dogs out... )!

As long as you're in a public area, there is nothing security can do. Disappearing before he can speak to you just arouses greater suspicion.
If you'd waited, responded to his query with "I'm on a photo challenge and taking a shot for half finished", you might have been invited to get a shot from a different perspective :)

I quite like the composition, with the van bottom left and the JCB balancing it bottom right.

Looking at the build there's plenty of internal work to do yet so it's definitely half complete. It fits the theme so don't think it's a shoehorn.

Thanks!
It is a word that can be stretched a little.

where did you put that crowbar? :ROFLMAO:

I'd say your new house is coming along nicely.

Acros is film simulation, right? Well it looks very detailed.

Cheers!
On one hand I'd love to be able to afford it, on the other hand I'm pretty sure I'm not a 'gated complex' type of guy.
Yup, The X-T2 that I usually pair with the 27mm for walkabout purposed is set permanently to the Acros simulation... I like the way it makes me see. Even if I do something with the Raw in colour, having shot in mono seems to lead to a better result.

Half
Not really a shoehorn, it covers the theme really well. I like the b/w. I know there's not a lot you could have done about it, but the van is a bit dominant.

Thank you!
It is a bit dominant, but for some reason I can't imagine the shot without it.

I agree about the van, but not a shoe horn its definitely half finished

Thanks!
Again, I agree the van is a bit 'heavy' but I get the feeling that without the foreground the shot would be a bit lost.

Not a shoe horn at all for me, it's half way to being built.

Cheers!
I guess half can be a fairly wide definition in some circumstances.

Judging by the name on the van it would have been the dogs that would have been let loose, unless the security firm are Doctor Who fans and a metal robot was going to slowly chase you!

Thank you!
I've got visions of being chased by K9 now!

I'd say it fits the theme too - definitely looks half finished.

Thanks!

It fits the theme for me. I rather like the van.. it adds interest to the image (who let the dogs out... )!

Cheers!
I've mentioned that above, maybe it is a little harsh, but I think the shot works better for it being there.

As long as you're in a public area, there is nothing security can do. Disappearing before he can speak to you just arouses greater suspicion.
If you'd waited, responded to his query with "I'm on a photo challenge and taking a shot for half finished", you might have been invited to get a shot from a different perspective :)

I quite like the composition, with the van bottom left and the JCB balancing it bottom right.

Thank you!
I was being a bit lighthearted, but it was totally legit and above board. I probably looked dodgier to passing traffic than I did to the security guard.

Week 9 - Reflection - Tech: Low Key.

Another weekend in the studio for us, and while we were editing backing vocals as the light in the control room faded I noticed Alessio's reflection in one of the blank panels in the old Mozart mixing desk. It's a bit noisy as I was at iso3200, but Acros makes that look acceptable to me, and as a candid (as I wanted the concentration on his face as he looked at the monitor), there's maybe a little eye movement in there as he worked (hey, I'm not going to hold him up for a photograph.... time is money and all that!), but again, given the overall feel of the image I can live with that. Obviously the title is a tribute to (ie, ripped off) Savador Dali's 'Six Apparitions of Lenin on a Piano'.

One Apparition of a Producer on a Mixing Desk by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well thought out, it works well on all points, Nick :)

Nice one - I did have to look up the work by Dali, but yes, a clear link to that. Bang on theme too.

That works really well. Mixing desk at ISO3200 - should be noisy :D

A nice reflection didn’t get it a first thought it was someone peeping over the mixing desk, I see what you mean about the tribute had to look it up though

Works really well. If it were me, I'd probably clone out that white dot on the left as it's a bit distracting but that's just my opinion...

Just to echo whats been said above Nick, I too think the 'noise' adds to the overall scene, nothing really to add. Good work.

That works well for both theme & technique. Would possibly have liked a little more of the desk to give more context but that would have made the reflection smaller in the image so maybe wouldn't have worked.

Nice photo Nick, well on theme and technique, Thanks for the explanation as I would never have guessed, my first thought was some one reflection in a house window.

Pete

Back