NickDs TP52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase... Bring on 2022!

The colour & detail in those leaves, cool.

Cool idea for the theme too.

Tall
It's cool, I like it. You've probably picked the right one, well spotted too.

Cheers!
I was lucky we came across it. The clarity of the water allowed for a pretty interesting shot.

Great vision. Really like the abstract nature of the patterns. Part of me wants to see what the other option looked like. Sometiomes if I can't decide, I just take both and worry about it later :)

Thank you!
I did take both at the time. If I focussed on the reflection itself I got the sharp reflection, but focussing on the bottom of the puddle got me what you see here. They were both nice, but the sharp focus on the leaves really gave it something more.

Well spotted, the detail of the leaves on the reflected tree trunk look beautiful, especially if you zoom in, there’s so much detail in there. A really super shot for the theme.

Thanks!
Nature just laid this one out for me.

That's suitably abstract - I like your interpretation, and full marks for hanging on to the tree with one hand and not falling in! I'd be interested to see the alternate with the sharp branches, but I do like the way it's made it abstract.

Cheers!
I might have been over cautious, but there's always the chance of a slip... and walking home in wet shoes isn't fun! :ROFLMAO:

The colour & detail in those leaves, cool.

Cool idea for the theme too.

Thank you!
I'm really surprised at how the autumnal colours have been preserved here, just in that one area. Everything else is mud and mulch.

Well spotted and I like your take on the theme.

Thanks!
Luckily it was so filthy in there that we had to detour off the path just to keep moving, and this was just waiting to be found.

well spotted I like how the leaves look like bark at a quick glance

I really like your tall shot - great colours. It almost looks like a patchwork, so I think you opted for the right focus point.

Rock/stone: I think it's very appropriate that you should take a record shot in a recording studio :D That's a huge bank of amps! Do the guitarists choose their preferred sound then? (and bassists!). The lighting looks fine and everything is nicely squared up.

well spotted I like how the leaves look like bark at a quick glance

Thanks!
The leaves really make it for me, it's like a collage. It was a lucky find!

Great idea for the theme and lovely composition.

Thank you!

I really like your tall shot - great colours. It almost looks like a patchwork, so I think you opted for the right focus point.

Rock/stone: I think it's very appropriate that you should take a record shot in a recording studio :D That's a huge bank of amps! Do the guitarists choose their preferred sound then? (and bassists!). The lighting looks fine and everything is nicely squared up.

Cheers!
Sometimes the guitarists choose, but often the producer will, upon hearing a part, know exactly the kind of tone that would suit it best. There's often a fair bit of conflict, as guitarists tend to think they know what they're talking about, but I find their 'knowledge' is often based on the reputation of an amp or something they've read. Rule #1... Listen to your producer! :cool:

Week 5 - Snappers Choice.

A lockdown garden visitor shot. This morning is the first time this year that I've seen the Wren. I tried on a number of occasions last year to catch it, but it's unpredictable in timing, doesn't stay anywhere for long, and is bloody quick. Working at the kitchen table, I usually see a flash from the corner of my eye as it breaks cover from the fence, dives into our big bush in search of insects, rattles around in there for a few seconds, then vanishes back into the ether. This morning I got lucky, ok, the light was crap, but I like the body position, and I'm just glad I finally got something.

Wren by Nick, on Flickr

I'm just glad I finally got something.
This is what makes these kind of shots great. They have a good story behind them and whilst they may not be perfect, they are very satisfying.

Well done!

This is what makes these kind of shots great. They have a good story behind them and whilst they may not be perfect, they are very satisfying.

Well done!

Thanks!
It did turn into a bit of a cat and mouse game last year.... the mouse won. :ROFLMAO:
I've not yet looked at the RAWs, as I'm committed to Snapseed for the purposes of the 52 this year, but I reckon I'll be able to rescue something ok.

Fab little Wren in a classic pose :)

"Ah", says the wren, "I really didn't think this through."

Charming picture.

You captured him in a great pose. I've only ever managed one picture of a wren and that was in a reserve where they were very used to people being around. The one in my garden is very elusive.

Sometimes the guitarists choose, but often the producer will, upon hearing a part, know exactly the kind of tone that would suit it best. There's often a fair bit of conflict, as guitarists tend to think they know what they're talking about, but I find their 'knowledge' is often based on the reputation of an amp or something they've read. Rule #1... Listen to your producer! :cool:
That's interesting. I do know all about guitarists chasing that elusive sound as I am married to one and he is very particular about his sound :ROFLMAO: so I can imagine there would be conflicts. We never recorded in a studio, only ever through a desk live, but I hated it if I didn't have my own amp on stage. I suppose recording you don't have that live pressure though, so at least you can fiddle... or the producer can!

A nice capture of the wren they do move about very quickly

Well caught, and nicely framed within the fence.

Tall - Clever idea I like it, I particularly like the colours in the reflection.
Snappers Choice - Good capture, worth the effort.

"Ah", says the wren, "I really didn't think this through."
Charming picture.

Thank you!
I was lucky to catch a pretty sweet moment.

You captured him in a great pose. I've only ever managed one picture of a wren and that was in a reserve where they were very used to people being around. The one in my garden is very elusive.
That's interesting. I do know all about guitarists chasing that elusive sound as I am married to one and he is very particular about his sound :ROFLMAO: so I can imagine there would be conflicts. We never recorded in a studio, only ever through a desk live, but I hated it if I didn't have my own amp on stage. I suppose recording you don't have that live pressure though, so at least you can fiddle... or the producer can!

Thanks!
The only place I've really seen one before is at Whipsnade Zoo, there's one that hangs around the reeds near the Lion enclosure. I started noticing this one while working from home last spring.

Ah, amps... I remember them! I'm entirely happy with a Helix into IEMs or an FRFR monitor, then the sound guy can take exactly what I've built for his direct feed.... Oh, get me... soooo down with the kids! :ROFLMAO:

Great pose on the wren!

Cheers!
I was so lucky to get that momentary pause.

A nice capture of the wren they do move about very quickly

Thank you!
It's lightning fast, and really tiny to focus on. Maybe it was cold and hungry and so more open to risk, but it didn't seem quite as rapid that morning.

Well caught, and nicely framed within the fence.

Thanks!
It was just the right moment. The frame was wider as it was over in the neighbours garden and I couldn't get close, so it's quite a crop. I tried to use the angle of where the Wren was looking to decide the composition.

Not my genre of photography, but I can appreciate the effort put into capturing a shot like that :)

Cheers!
I'm not generally a 'tit on a twig' photographer either, but I've developed a bit of a relationship with our garden wildlife since this whole Covid thing kicked off.

Ha! A cracker!

Thank you!
I'd have liked to have got a little closer, honestly the Fuji 70-300 can't come soon enough, but for what it is I'm pleased enough.

Really well caught... and worth the wait.

Thanks!
My 'work' tea breaks now consist of me standing at the back door, camera in hand... well, why not. Usually I return to my computer with nothing, but occasionally I get lucky.

Tall - Clever idea I like it, I particularly like the colours in the reflection.
Snappers Choice - Good capture, worth the effort.

Cheers!
Hopefully as the light gets better I can grab some better shots.

Lovely 'action shot' for your snappers choice. The colours are really nice and I like the way you have the bird looking back up and into the frame

The pose actually gives it an aspect of action shot if you know what I mean. Great shot, great subject.

Snappers choice
It looks like an early morning bit of yoga.
I'm glad your perseverance has paid off.

Snappers Choice
Great capture and timed perfectly, I'm convinced birds all go and hide anytime I'm looking for them. I can hear them just not see them

Lovely 'action shot' for your snappers choice. The colours are really nice and I like the way you have the bird looking back up and into the frame

Thank you!
I grabbed a few in the second that I had, and that paricular pose was spot on!

The pose actually gives it an aspect of action shot if you know what I mean. Great shot, great subject.

Cheers!
I know exactly what you mean. It is a bit, the little thing doesn't stay still for a second.

Snappers choice
It looks like an early morning bit of yoga.
I'm glad your perseverance has paid off.

Thanks!
It makes you wonder how those little legs support it's body. It must weigh almost nothing.

Snappers Choice
Great capture and timed perfectly, I'm convinced birds all go and hide anytime I'm looking for them. I can hear them just not see them

Thank you!
Oh, tell me about it. Our garden is a cacophony of birdsong from dawn 'til dusk, but the moment I open the door they disappear.

That's a beauty Nick, the backstory is brilliant too. And how cool is the pose too?
Can't fault it, good work.

Week 6 - Pair.

Another studio shot.... well we were there all weekend so it was the obvious place to look for opportunities.

It is a pair of headphones, right?... Only I was entirely convinced to start with, but the more I say it in my head the more I doubt myself. :ROFLMAO:

Pick a Pair by Nick, on Flickr

Bang on theme (and, yes, it is a pair of headphones). Nice use of shallow DoF and nice conversion to B&W.

Bang on theme (and, yes, it is a pair of headphones). Nice use of shallow DoF and nice conversion to B&W.

Thanks!
I shot it like that. I usually keep my X-T2 set with the Acros film sim, and wearing my 27mm... It's my throw in a bag option, and 9 times out of 10 I never get as far as looking at the RAW unless I'm curious what the colour version might look like.. This was pretty much straight out of the camera, with just a slight crop in Snapseed.

That's nice, I like the detail in the FG pair, a bit shallow but still nice.

Nice tones in there and lovely light hitting the sharp area. Definitely a pair in my head :D

Yep - that works a treat!

Nicely composed, the depth of field is just right in my opinion and the monochrome look is spot on. Well done :)

Looks like several pairs of headphones, Nice B&W showing off the fake carbon fibre weave.

Pete

Definitely a pair and as mentioned good use of DoF
That's nice, I like the detail in the FG pair, a bit shallow but still nice.
Nice tones in there and lovely light hitting the sharp area. Definitely a pair in my head :D
Nicely focused and composed and I like the mono take works well. Only slight distraction to me is the vertical dark lines in the background.
Yep - that works a treat!
Nicely composed, the depth of field is just right in my opinion and the monochrome look is spot on. Well done :)
Looks like several pairs of headphones, Nice B&W showing off the fake carbon fibre weave.

Pete

Many thanks everyone!

It was a bit of a rush job as I needed it out of the way before half term kicked off.... PABD and all that! :ROFLMAO:

Back