Night-time Photo

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd appreciate some advice on this one. It' my first night shot. It was taken few weeks ago in Skiathos…..a Greek island. I have a few more with water (sea) between myself and the town…useless. I won't photograph across an expanse of water again.

This was the only position I could take the shot from..going up the steps into the old residential area.I had the tripod extended only 18 inches,if that, and sitting on a low wall alongside the steep steps. Right in front of me were diners sitting alongside the wall so I was stuck. Apart from that,in case anyone suggests moving…how can my technique be improved ? I was on 'Bulb' with a remote cable and just lengthened the exposure until it looked ok on the Lcd..I put it through Lightroom4 and found that reducing the 'contrast' improved it,it lightened up the houses at the back,that edit had the greatest influence. In November we're off to Madeira (Funchal) staying in a hotel room, 5th. floor, with a view over the harbour and town so I'm hoping to get some good night-time shots there,i.e.. an improvement on this one maybe. I'm assuming I'll have to use my 100-400 for that.I will also go down into the town and take photos with the 17-40mm...24-105mm.A trip to the infamous airport for me is a must of course. Third most dangerous in Europe and 9th. in the world. Seems the winds come across the ocean and hit the high cliffs causing severe turbulence..I assume that's what happens..or maybe just straight ocean winds.The cliffs are some of the highest in the world and the runway is between them and the sea. I haven't told my wife about the airport..I was unaware of it myself until a friend alerted me after we'd booked it. Nice of him..lol..Hopefully it will be ok but if anyone's interested just 'Youtube' Google it.

Thanks

2m31z7o.jpg

Well, I'm no expert but you need to get rid of the big, out of focus blob at the bottom of the shot. And it all looks a little soft, the boats in the foreground do not appear very sharp, have you got your focus point or DoF right?

The limitations of your position, which have resulted in trees and bushes you don't want or need suggest the spot you're taking the photo from is not suitable, moving will cure a lot of the composition issues.

On the plus side like the lighting on the main boat and restaurant area, and also like how you managed to bring up the houses in the background.

I suspect the reason for the boats appearing to be soft is that they were moving due to the tide and the softness is motion blur.

Thanks both..Agree,Huffy..the boats will be moving and so did the person who is the blob. I used my Live view to focus. Anyway, no criticism of the technique so it must be ok,just a matter of getting a position that has no objects in the way.As these shots take 30 seconds or so then anyone moving will be blurred.The group of young people on the jetty look ok,I have to assume they didn't move…same with the three on the bench. Needs thinking about. I'll start looking at nighttime shots.

Paul..Yes, the houses have come up nicely so decreasing the contrast is something to remember.

Its a lovely scene for a night time shot, I dont think the tree detract too much, you could say they help the framing. the softness if definitely a problem though. And not just the boats, even the static regions seem soft. Worth investing in good tripod perhaps.

Thanks Daniel. I thought that about the tree myself.The softness will have been caused by me focusing using manual,I'm trying to remember if I used Live View but I don't think I did. It's definitely not for want of a decent tripod. I have two Manfrotto 458B's..one has the Jobu Jnr. gimbal arm on for flight photos and it saves taking it off each time for other photo scenarios. They are superb tripods as they have no clips, the legs telescope..I got it for the storm chasing (US) when we often had to get back in the van inn a rush at a moments notice..usually because of lightning getting to close or hail but it's great just to pull the legs together and tap them on the ground and they close up, takes seconds none of that faffing about you get with two clips on each leg. The downside is they cost £280. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-458B-Neotec-Photo-Tripod/dp/B000JLK5QY

I think this could benefit from some white balance adjustment - particularly easy to do if you shoot raw.

try your night time shots with a bit of light in the sky...it helps to make the whole interesting
i have taken shots like yours but gave up as not everything is still and a tripod on a long exposure make it worse....
better to use a high iso and put up with any noise
and think about different light balance settings...even if they seem un natural they dont all come out in the warm light which normally is seen
or adjust in pp....colour temperature

Thaks,John.I'll take a look at that then..I always shoot in RAW so it won't be a problem.

Geof..That's really useful advice…thanks.Seems it's not as straightforward as one would imagine. Your reply is exactly the kind of response I was looking for and in addition to the advice in the other responses I should make a better job next time..:)

Back