Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

More than twice the price of my Sigma 12-24, optically no better. Buy my Sigma! ;)

P-E said:
Have you considered the Tokina 12-24?
I have indeed. I'm usually the one recommending this lens! I'm also considering the Sigma 10-20 for the sheer wideness!

OK, I will let you know the story.

I'm going to France in a month's time for the Le Mans Classic - its classic cars racing on the Le Mans circuit with half hour races back-to-back for 24 hours. Im going down in a Morgan - hence next to no luggage space. This means I cant take my 120-300 2.8 :(

I would really only be able to take one or two lenses. I also hate changing lenses in the field (fiddly, dust on sensor etc etc), so I was after one of the new 18-200 VR nikkors. However, these are like hen's teeth unless you are willing to pay around £600+. Now, I'm not willing to pay such an amount for such a lens.

Therefore it looks like I would have to take my 18-70 and Sigma 70-300 APO, which I'm not all that happy about.

Now, the car owners clubs from all over Europe are going to be there. There will be rows and rows of awesome cars to photograph - such as a line of dozens or so 911s from just one generation (e.g 996). Therefore I thought a wider lens would be fun for capturing such shots. I could also use it for landscapes etc too. I could take a 12-24 for close ups, and my 70-300 for the track stuff. And thats where we came in. Sorry for the long post! :)

Sounds like you gunna have some fun.

Shame you can't take the Sigma:(

When I was interested in something wider the Tokina always cropped up with very favourable comments.......often quoted as sharper than the Nikon but unfortunately I can't speak through experience only what I have read which probably you have.

Cheers P-E.

Yeah, its so gutting about the Sigma. It doesnt help that it needs a monopod too!

The car is this one:

DSC_4992-01a.jpg

nowt wrong with my sigma and its a darn sight cheaper and a little wider :)

I'm doing myself out of a sale but have you considered renting one for a week?

I picked up my 12-24mm from AJP ... :clap:

Luckily immediately after some nice kind soul had decided to chop all his Nikon stuff for Canon (weirdos some people aren't they ! :naughty: ) !

It was hardly used and job lotted with two other nearly new ones - gottit for around £500 and dead chuffed with it !

If you lived close enough you could borrow it for the week ! :p

get the sigma 10-20 mines great and all you hav e to do is look at....can't think of his name..is it PeteMC?? If so he's got some cracking shots with his.

Wouldn't be without mine, all the tests I have seen don't show the indepentant manufacturer's lenses to be any sharper so I am afraid I can't convince you not to buy one!! No chromatic aberrations through the use of gorgeous Nikon ED glass ;) Be careful you don't include your feet in the photos!

actually if you look at test shots the nikon has quite a lot more CA than the sigma. not that i wouldnt happily own the nikon if i could afford it :)

Buy it. Sigma's are cr*p. Grrr....

I'm using a 14mm Prime Sigma and I seriously think I'm going to 'accidentally' trash it. Half my Apache shots from this morning had to be heavily cropped due to massive flare.
The coatings on Nikkor lenses are way, way better (one of the reasons they're so expensive). The extra low dispersion flourite glass is also better quality - Nikon make their own glass - no other lens manufacturer does that AFAIK.

Buy the Nikkor. You'll always regret it if you don't - I know I would.

Back