Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Wow, 3 retailers over £100 cheaper than every other retailer, makes you wonder how/why?

wonder how/why the others are so dear ;):nono:

Wow, 3 retailers over £100 cheaper than every other retailer, makes you wonder how/why?

I'm wondering if there will be a new version with the new finish. Maybe same optical formula, like they replaced the Sony Nex lenses with a new jacket and dropped the price of the old ones.

Is it any better than the highly rated Tamron 17-50 (Non VC)?

I was going to ask the same thing re the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which I already use?

In fact a general comment/question regarding these lenses (Sigma/Tamron) vs the vastly more expensive Nikon 24-70 and 28-70, is this a real cost/quality significance or essentially are they 2-4 times 'better'?

I was going to ask the same thing re the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which I already use?

In fact a general comment/question regarding these lenses (Sigma/Tamron) vs the vastly more expensive Nikon 24-70 and 28-70, is this a real cost/quality significance or essentially are they 2-4 times 'better'?

I own the nikon 28-70 f2.8 and i use that on my D300 and i also have the tamron 17-50 f2.8 to use on my d7000 for backup and general use.

Quality of image is not different to me regard on both lens when using on DX camera but the nikon lens is definite more robust, solid, and faster to focus (in my opinion) then the tamron and also not as noisy.

Shooting a wedding using the tamron during a church ceremony will cause me problem because of the focus noise ....... where as the nikon i can go silent mode.

Build quality massive different but image quality the tamron is matching well with the nikon.

Then again the nikon lens is for FF as well where as the tamron 17-50 is for DX.

Great comments, I guess without the issue of build quality and noise would someone genuinely feel like paying 4 times the price was shown in the image quality itself and from what you have said the answer would be no? Add to that the potential for a 'bad' copy and really does beg the question on whether the outlay is worth it?

Is it any better than the highly rated Tamron 17-50 (Non VC)?

Its very subjective but I borrowed one to take to Paris and I was very impressed with the IQ of the lens if not the heft!

The VC was very handy and I think v the non-VC Tamron its very good, I'd probably have gone for the Tammy if it was £330 and the Sigma still at its £450 price but for the same price I reckon the Sigma is the better buy,.

Its very subjective but I borrowed one to take to Paris and I was very impressed with the IQ of the lens if not the heft!

The VC was very handy and I think v the non-VC Tamron its very good, I'd probably have gone for the Tammy if it was £330 and the Sigma still at its £450 price but for the same price I reckon the Sigma is the better buy,.

I got my non VC Tamron for £165 second hand in excellent condition boxed etc... I find it a great walkaround lens for that price. I've got the 85mm Nikon 1.8 if I need to do any really low light stuff.

Im still using my 18-105 of my d90 i am looking for something different now. as i have the 70-200 and the 150-500 so just thing of either sigma or tamron now but still undecided on which one to got for?

Do you guys think the price drop of the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 is due to the new 18-35mm f1.8 Sigma lens announced back in April? But I doubt this fast f1.8 lens will retail at the price point of the 17-50mm before the price drop ie £499.

I bought an 18-200 to replace my broken 18-105, which really wasn't what I was expecting to do (or expecting to spend!) but I have to say, I'm loving the lens. I think I've just discovered my perfect all-rounder, and it doesn't hotspot on my IR D90 either, which both the 18-105 and Sigma 10-20 did (the latter badly!). The VR is awesome - so good that I'm questioning whether it worked on my 18-105!

However getting back to the D7100...

Anyone had any problems with light leakage through the viewfinder badly affecting images at (not massively) long exposures? I used to do 30 second exposures with an IR filter on my D90 without any real leakage issues through an uncovered viewfinder. I did try it on my D7100 before I got the D90 IR converted, and the light leakage wiped out all the long exposures I shot where the viewfinder wasn't covered. I thought it was just a problem with IR, but having done a few uncovered 30 second 10-stop ND images today, I've found a red band across the middle of them. Might be the 10 stop wasn't on properly, but they were fine when I covered the viewfinder without otherwise adjusting the camera.

Anyone else noticed a problem? Any reason that it would be noticeably worse than my D90?

Yes true the new 18-35mm f1.8 is gonna be a premium Lens and doubt its RRP will be below £499. Need a general walkabout lens for my D7000 and was looking at the other Sigma the 17-70mm f2.8/4 for £249 from Clifton where everyone else are selling for around £349?? Anyway now that the 17-50mm f2.8 is around £309 from 3 retailers then its a no brainier I think to consider it over the other sigma I mentioned. Will check out some reviews.

I had a Sigma 17-70 on a Sony a few years back and it was a nice lens but the 17-50 is a better lens from an IQ point of view and also has the fixed 2.8 aperture.

I've got a good selection of primes now (20,24,35) but I do sometimes wish I had a zoom when I can't be bothered changing!

But might just add a 50mm to my primes... was tempted by the Nikon 16-85.

Yes true the new 18-35mm f1.8 is gonna be a premium Lens and doubt its RRP will be below £499. Need a general walkabout lens for my D7000 and was looking at the other Sigma the 17-70mm f2.8/4 for £249 from Clifton where everyone else are selling for around £349?? Anyway now that the 17-50mm f2.8 is around £309 from 3 retailers then its a no brainier I think to consider it over the other sigma I mentioned. Will check out some reviews.

Prices for the the 18-35 1.8 are $799 from B&H plus shipping and taxes so around £650-700 here I'd say.

Hi there,

I note a few people have moved from the D3100 to the D7000 - which is a jump I'm considering. My reasons are to get a focus motor in the camera so I can upgrade my glass, which is mostly kit lenses.

Question for you if you've made the jump: Did you notice any discernible improvement in image quality on making the jump - or did you just get the additional functionality.

Thanks for your reply

Hi there,

I note a few people have moved from the D3100 to the D7000 - which is a jump I'm considering. My reasons are to get a focus motor in the camera so I can upgrade my glass, which is mostly kit lenses.

Question for you if you've made the jump: Did you notice any discernible improvement in image quality on making the jump - or did you just get the additional functionality.

Thanks for your reply

I've just recently made that same upgrade, D3100 to D7000. I'll be honest and say that I haven't noticed a huge jump in IQ but then i'm not one to pixel peep. I've also not had as much time as I would have liked to play with my new toy! I'm sure that once i've had a decent amount of time with it then I will start to see an improvement in IQ.

One thing I have noticed is that when you have spent a little time getting to know it then it's much quicker to change settings etc. as most of the common settings have a button instead of hunting through menus. Another improvement (for me anyway) is that when taking long exposures they seem to write to the card much quicker than the D3100.

All in all, i'm happy that I made the upgrade.

If i remember correctly (maybe i'm wrong and is the D3200), the D3100 and D7000 have the same sensor ....... so therefor image quality should be the same unless both camera use different lenses.

What you get from D7000 improve over D3100 is the body quality, bigger (better grip) and more control over the camera.

If i remember correctly (maybe i'm wrong and is the D3200), the D3100 and D7000 have the same sensor ....... so therefor image quality should be the same unless both camera use different lenses.

What you get from D7000 improve over D3100 is the body quality, bigger (better grip) and more control over the camera.

Its the D5100 which has the same sensor as the D7000.

There is a bit more to it, and it's the 51's sensor the d7k shared.

I went from a 31 to d7k. It's hard for me to comment on IQ as I also went for a tamron 2.8 to replace my kit lens: The big improvements for me were all due to the ease of control with buttons rather than menu hunting. You find yourself actively driving the camera rather than choosing a mode and just shooting.

It's a whole new ball game, your exposures improve because you are actively considering metering modes in a shot by shot basis for example.

Can anyone shed some light on the following please?

My shutter has 'begun' to double click when impress it. I say begun but I don't actually know if it's always done it. I'm out now in a cemetery and I've just noticed it. Anything to worry about? Thanks

My shutter has 'begun' to double click when impress it. I say begun but I don't actually know if it's always done it. I'm out now in a cemetery and I've just noticed it. Anything to worry about? Thanks

you aren't in live view mode are you?

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not in LV. I very rarely use that (trailing lights, that's about it).

I've had a couple of occasions when it's taken two shots for only "one" press, but then I'm very light with the shutter release so it was probably two very gentle presses.

What shutter speed where you using at the time? Could just be that it was slow (ie, around 1/50 or under) because that sounds different.

I've had a couple of occasions when it's taken two shots for only "one" press, but then I'm very light with the shutter release so it was probably two very gentle presses.

What shutter speed where you using at the time? Could just be that it was slow (ie, around 1/50 or under) because that sounds different.

Good piece of detective work there Northstander!! Shutter was slow, can't remember off the top of my head but definitely a lot less than 1/50 like you said. It was about 21:45 and I was trying to let as much light in as possible.

Thank you both for the replies.

I've also had this happen on a number of occasions, usually because I'm hovering over the shutter button while recomposing, I regularly take too long to shoot.

Cheers Metroman. No need for me to worry then I guess. I'll try it out later on fast and slow shutter speeds.

HI Leslie/Badboy1984/terryt/Matt,

thanks for your feedback about the camera - very useful. Decision time...

I should add, that I've since sent the grip back, it seemed to have a bit of "play" on the connection and kept cutting power to the camera, expecting another one in the post today or tomorrow, if this one does the same i'll be getting a Nikon one.

Hope you don't mind me asking in here guys.

I currently own a D3000 aswell as a 18-55 Kit lens and 55-200 VR. I'm after upgrading my body to larger and more functionality a D90 however the D7000 has taken my eye(apart from the price) what are people's opinions on this vs the D90 etc?

Thanks

ISO performance on the D7000 is much better because of newer and better sensor. If you don't shoot high iso or require more robust body then D90 is decent choice.

Back