Nikon D750 & D780

David ,funny you said re LR and the fuji files,last night the comparison between Lr and The Apple Photos app.the x100 shots looked better in Photos,no problem with D3300 files in LR though.seems a shame that LR still not best for fuji even though the x100 doesnt use xtrans.

Lr has always struggled with Fuji files whether EXR or the newer XTrans. A shame as the interface is by far the best i have used. When i had my Fuji stuff i d/l alot of software to try but after using Lr for a few years now it was hard to swap.

The Nik files are much better to work with using Adobe products.

Fair summary there David.

When I had my last XT1 I wasn't using LR so comparisons for me against what you can do with the files in LR is unfair for me to comment. But you can pull a lot of detail from the files from Nikon and recover a lot of data, it suprises me at times, although I'm still a bit of novice with LR.

Also I was using JPEG's with the Fuji which at the time I thought they had more punch than the Nikon JPEG's SOOC, but since using RAW 100% now, there's scope to pull a lot of detail out of the photos if needed..

Last edited:
My biggest complaint was having to use JPEG for motorsport due to needing iso 100. I never liked the processing of their files other than the colour. The sharpening and NR was awful. I was much happier with a RAW file.

I think I'm going to buy a 70-300 for motorsport. I was happy enough using an equivalent of 75-210 on the Fuji so having a bit more reach will be nice whilst staying relatively lightweight too.

I don't know Fuji but from an Olympus perspective I found I ended up using jpegs as the SOOC colours were just so nice, lightroom never quite seemed to be able to replicate, or rather I couldn't make it.

A general observation I have found with mirrorless is that everything is comparative - on the E-M1 you can get good AF (with firmware v3), its up there with the low end crop DSLRs, great in mirrorless terms and usable, you take twenty shots and get a couple of keepers, but on a camera like the D750 you take twenty shots and have a couple of duffers.

Now don't get me wrong mirrorless is great, there are things the D750 is never going to be able to do - focus peaking, zoom on manual focus (both excellent for precision work) in the viewfinder, 10fps & 8000/s shutter on a relatively cheap body (the 7D II being closest) and most importantly theres the size and weight and by extension the fact that most people aren't threatened by it, so it could be a great street camera.

Can I ask you guys a couple of quick questions on the D750:

1) Unlike the D610/810 it does have an AA filter. If you've seen comparisons or owned these cameras can you actually tell a difference in 'clarity' or 'sharpness' between D750 files and those from a D610 etc? If so, is this just at pixel level or more noticeable?

2) Do you focus and recompose? I mean for scenes with a person in, do you move the focus point or can you half press the shutter, re-compose to include more of the scenery and get a good pic? It has a good spread of focus points and with face detection, I'm just wondering if focus/recompose is workable?

1) Unlike the D610/810 it does have an AA filter. If you've seen comparisons or owned these cameras can you actually tell a difference in 'clarity' or 'sharpness' between D750 files and those from a D610 etc? If so, is this just at pixel level or more noticeable?

2) Do you focus and recompose? I mean for scenes with a person in, do you move the focus point or can you half press the shutter, re-compose to include more of the scenery and get a good pic? It has a good spread of focus points and with face detection, I'm just wondering if focus/recompose is workable?

1) Yes, its not hugely noticeable imo as use good lenses.

2) No, I use fast glass so it doesnt work, I use BBF and I move a single point accordingly around the frame in AF-C using all the points. Focus recompose doesnt rely on the amount of points in the frame because youre choosing a point say centre then framing the subject afterwards using AF-S.

stones-no-line.jpg

Last edited:

1) Unlike the D610/810 it does have an AA filter. If you've seen comparisons or owned these cameras can you actually tell a difference in 'clarity' or 'sharpness' between D750 files and those from a D610 etc? If so, is this just at pixel level or more

I might be wrong but I believe the D610 also has the filter, only (in full frame) the D800e and D810 do not have it.

I know people will laugh and trawl back through hundreds of pages in the X-T1 thread where i said IQ this and focus speed that but the D750 really is on a whole other level.
And the obvious statement of the year award goes to........ :p ;)

Off topic, but has anyone else been struggling with the site over the past couple of days? I've had a couple of double posts, and it won't allow me to post new threads :confused:

I might be wrong but I believe the D610 also has the filter, only (in full frame) the D800e and D810 do not have it.
I believe the D610 also has an aa filter too (y)

And the obvious statement of the year award goes to........ :p ;)

Off topic, but has anyone else been struggling with the site over the past couple of days? I've had a couple of double posts, and it won't allow me to post new threads :confused:

I did tell him Snerks, did he listen the first time? No! But I never gave up, I truly believed hed make the right choice one day... just like you did after that Canon nonsense :p @minnnt I wont quote you mit, it would be to embarrassing ...for you. :D

Last edited:

Aye, a fair bit - very slow posts but it seems better now - I did reboot the router too just in case.

1) I believe the D610 has the aa filter too. I just googled it and checked 3 hits, and they all confirmed this.

2) This boils down to preference and how you shoot. When I was at the Nikon course the Nikon pro said that he always focuses and recomposes as the centre point is still the most accurate. But then he mainly does portraits and so shooting static subjects at high ish f-numbers. If I'm doing shots like this I will focus-recompose. If I'm doing sports I will move the AF point around and use AF-C, obviously focus-recompose would be a waste of time anyway when using AF-C. If shooting static subjects with wide aperture I tend to move the focus point.

Ok, my bad about the D610 :) I guess at normal viewing distances when looking at prints you couldn't make out a difference (unless you viewed both on a monitor at 100%)

What do you do if you are taking a pic of an impatient other half with a nice background and she is at one end? :)

I'm asking because when I try to move the AF point I'm obviously not quick enough! Is there a way round this (that's why I asked about focus / recompose)

Last edited:
Ok, my bad about the D610 :) I guess at normal viewing distances when looking at prints you couldn't make out a difference (unless you viewed both on a monitor at 100%)

What do you do if you are taking a pic of an impatient other half with a nice background and she is at one end? :)

I'm asking because when I try to move the AF point I'm obviously not quick enough! Is there a way round this (that's why I asked about focus / recompose)
Get quicker ;) I can move the FP from centre to a corner more or less just in the time it takes to raise the camera to my eye.

3D AF? Seems pretty good, or just have set portrait orientation to about where the head would be and when you swap to portrait it'll be in roughly the right place :D

Last edited:
lol, my turn for a double post.

Use 11 point wrap? Shoot a bit wider and crop? I've never had an issue with focus recompose although it's not something i do a lot. I normally just move the focus point.
I don't like wrap around as I can just rattle the control pad quickly knowing it will stop at the edges ;)

I'm adding all of your names to my list. Damn the lot of you. I'd almost convinced myself that a D7200 was the appropriate upgrade from my D7000. After all, I've only got one FX lens and I do quite like the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, 35 f/1.8 and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. What would be the point in getting rid of all of my DX kit?

I've spent the last couple of weeks agonising. I've read countless reviews of both the D7200 and D750. I've pixel peeped at every available comparative test shot.

I'd almost convinced myself the only difference was the price and better high ISO performance. And the inevitable expense in replacing the 17-55 and 11-16 with their FX equivalents. That's after I fork out for an 85 f/1.8.

I've spent the last couple of days scouring Flickr. Searching for 'portrait' and 'people' in addition to 'D7200' or 'D750' reveals something rather interesting. Their are significantly more headshots taken with the D750 and, without wanting to appear rude, they 'look' better. There's a certain 'sharpness', an 'edge' that just isn't there with the DX body. Is it the lens? Is it the technique? The ability of the photographer?

And then there are the photographs in this thread.

Damn the lot of you.

My wife will be happy with me selling all of my DX kit given that I generally only use my Oly E-P5 and Ricoh GR these days. It's the bit about buying a D750 and an 85 f/1.8 that I can't quite visualise the likely outcome to. That is, without loud noises and me running for cover.

Damn the lot of you.

Lol Adrian.

I had the Nik 17-55 and i REALLY enjoyed that lens. The build quality is excellent as was the IQ. The only thing that annoyed me with it was the flare. Also had the 85 on the D7k and now have another copy on my D750 but i haven't used it much yet as i only received it a few days a go. I'm pretty sure it needed adjusting for my D7k but i never did it. It seems perfect on my D750 though from my initial random crap testing photo's.

The 24-120 seems like a nice lens also, but i'm not sure if it will stay or not, but i'm not 100% on what to replace it with. Either a 20mm f1.8 or go all out and buy the 24-70. Hmmm...

I also have the 35mm f1.8 which is excellent too but if you're looking to replicate your current lenses then you may be better off going for the 50mm f1.8.

haha, brilliant Adrain - welcome to the (bruised and battered) club ;)

Lol Adrian.

I had the Nik 17-55 and i REALLY enjoyed that lens. The build quality is excellent as was the IQ. The only thing that annoyed me with it was the flare. Also had the 85 on the D7k and now have another copy on my D750 but i haven't used it much yet as i only received it a few days a go. I'm pretty sure it needed adjusting for my D7k but i never did it. It seems perfect on my D750 though from my initial random crap testing photo's.

The 24-120 seems like a nice lens also, but i'm not sure if it will stay or not, but i'm not 100% on what to replace it with. Either a 20mm f1.8 or go all out and buy the 24-70. Hmmm...

I also have the 35mm f1.8 which is excellent too but if you're looking to replicate your current lenses then you may be better off going for the 50mm f1.8.

Already have the 50mm f/1.4. The 85mm f/1.8 is a must buy for me. The Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 would probably quickly follow with the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 inevitably ending up alongside me in my damp, shallow grave.

Oh, and a grip. I need to get a grip.

Last edited:
I'll see how the 24-120 goes when I'm on holiday, but this morning my daughter was opening pressies on her unbirthday and f4 really doesn't like indoors much - a ISO 8000 was order of the day!

Perhaps if (read when) I get rid of the m43 stuff I may have to get a wide(ish) prime, perhaps the 35mm Davids been using so well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/waPoz9][/URL]

Last edited:
John the 35 is ace. The focus speed is hilarious. :D if you want to borrow it for a few days before you purchase one then just drop me a message.

Still undecided on a replacement for the 24-120. I loved the quality of the 17-55 but the additional weight might be an issue although on a sling it's less so. The 20mm f1.8 looks excellent but it could be a little limiting although it would fit in well with the 35/85 i already have. Just don't want to end up with a bag full of primes.

Hmmm...

The 24-120mm is such a versatile lens although a tad heavy. It's a lens which is best suited for outdoor photgrpahy due to the range and one to go out with, "as a one lens option". For low light it's not going to compete with the 1.4 or 1.8 lenses. I'm undecided whether to keep mine as it is a tad heavy, but I have up-coming operations on my elbow/shoulder, if successful, it will give me a bit more strength in arm and the weight maybe not such an issue?

For you David, I presume weight isn't much of an issue??? as you used to lump around the 17-55 and 150-500mm lenses, so the F2.8 zooms maybe no problem for you and the benefits it offers over the F4 lens??? You also love your fast lenses.

Edit: forgot to mention, when I asked the question on the 24-120 lens earlier in thread, I think the Tamron 24-70 VC is roughly the same weight as the 24-120, the Nikon version is a bit heavier again.

Last edited:
Yep, i love shallow dof so the extra stop is always welcome. The added build quality is also a big plus for me. And although it slightly extends when it zooms i believe the hood hides it as it does on the 17-55? I hate external zooming lenses tbh. :LOL:

Go for it, you have the itch again:D You need to go to the Docs about it and see if you can have some Canestan or nick some of Charlies.

Last edited:
Cheers David I may well take you up on that offer when I'm back from my hols, where the 24-120 should come into its own. Off to Wales :)

It's actually the reason I went fir that "kit" lens, it wasn't really fair to use it inside in poor light, but the 85 would have been too long.

Still struggling as to which lens below 70mm i want,got the D750 with the Nikon 70-300 to get me started,its the first full frame i have had since 35mm days so have forgotten how the various wide angles portray the image,thinking i may just forget it for now and get the 50mm,i haven't had one of those for over 25 years..
Early picture from the D750 and 70-300.

View attachment 42477

Nice, a lot better than mine!

After all, I've only got one FX lens and I do quite like the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, 35 f/1.8 and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. What would be the point in getting rid of all of my DX kit?

I had the same lenses and only had the 105mm that works on FF.

Bought a D750 (and 24-70) and just sold one of my D300s, and my Tokina lens. No regrets at all.

DO IT :naughty:

Cheers.

MIKEW cannot read the exif on your pigeon - can you give some tech details FL etc

thanks
mikey

MIKEW cannot read the exif on your pigeon - can you give some tech details FL etc

thanks
mikey

Sorry it should be there
D750
Nikon 70-300 @300mm
F9
1/800th
ISO 1000

Last edited:
Back