Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah probably. I paid £625 so I'm pretty happy with that tbh. I have never rated Nikons VR system so i wouldn't have been upgrading for that reason anyway.

Where did you get a 24-70mm f2.8 for £625, that's a bargain? (assuming it's the nikon one and not the 28-70 ;)) I've had the VR in the 70-300mm and 70-200mm VRII and think it works well tbh. OK it's not EM5-II IBIS but I usually get at least 3 stops.

I've used Meike grips on all my cameras previously and they're great. I'd not shell out for an official grip at the prices they are.

The only thing that's stopping me with the D750 is that I'm using a black rapid strap and I would be paranoid about how secure the screw connection would be.

I'm sure it would be fine and I'm just being paranoid but it would be lot of money hanging on a cheap screw......!
I tried the meike and can confirm that the quality is very good. The only thing I don't like is that the grip is brick like, like the old NIkon cameras and I didn't like it so sent it back. This is true of all grips though. I'm hoping they do one with a grip like the D750 ;)

I use the BR on my D750 and have no concerns what so ever. I contacted Nikon and they said that the tripod mount is more than capable of supporting the D750 with 70-200mm f2.8 and SB-700 speedlight, and just to back up the BR connection I use a second tether on one of the camera strap mounts.

IIRC someone from here had a D750 with something in the VF from new. @Swanseajack was it you? Maybe it's a manufacturing fault?

Be interesting to find out!
Like I've said I know DSLR ownership comes with dust and I've cleaned my own sensors for years!
And my ageing D7000 viewfinder if fully loaded.
Just annoying on an expensive camera with only 98 shots!

Yes, I had what looked like plastic swarf in my VF after a few days use. I sent it back to Panamoz and the whole process took three days to have my money refunded. I have had another two bodies since and they have both been fine.

I would contact your seller and see what they say, you shouldn't be having a filthy focus screen and sensor with only 98 shots taken. Was your lens nice and clean when first connected to the body, you haven't pointed it to the sky and a load of dust has come into the camera from lens?

I'm considering sending mine back to Nikon!
98 shots,sensor filthy and crap on the focus screen as I can see it through the view finder!
Only ever one lens change,when I took the body cap off and put the 24-70 on!
My D610 has done 1000's of shots an it's still spotless!
The only thing putting me off is apart from the dust issues it performs flawlessly,I'm happy to clean the sensor myself and my D7000 has so many spots on the focus screen it's not real.
Just a bit miffed it's so cruddy so soon!
Just wondering if anyone else has had dust issues or I've just been unlucky?

I use the BR on my D750 and have no concerns what so ever. I contacted Nikon and they said that the tripod mount is more than capable of supporting the D750 with 70-200mm f2.8 and SB-700 speedlight, and just to back up the BR connection I use a second tether on one of the camera strap mounts.

Oh I trust the mount on the camera completely. It would be the mount/connection on a 3rd party grip that would concern me.

Where did you get a 24-70mm f2.8 for £625, that's a bargain? (assuming it's the nikon one and not the 28-70 ;)) I've had the VR in the 70-300mm and 70-200mm VRII and think it works well tbh. OK it's not EM5-II IBIS but I usually get at least 3 stops.

Lol. Boxed and everything mate. ;)

As for VR... Having used Tamron's VC, Sigma's OS and Fuji's OIS i think that Nikon's VR is well below par. With the others the image in the VF would pretty much freeze. With the VR it made no difference. Having said that i never did any tests with VR regarding slow shutter speeds so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

I've used Meike stuff before. I had their grip for my X-T1 and it failed after a few weeks so sent it back. It felt well built though. Lol.

So is the Nikon grip the same kind of grip as the actual D750 grip?

Lol. Boxed and everything mate. ;)

As for VR... Having used Tamron's VC, Sigma's OS and Fuji's OIS i think that Nikon's VR is well below par. With the others the image in the VF would pretty much freeze. With the VR it made no difference. Having said that i never did any tests with VR regarding slow shutter speeds so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

I've used Meike stuff before. I had their grip for my X-T1 and it failed after a few weeks so sent it back. It felt well built though. Lol.

So is the Nikon grip the same kind of grip as the actual D750 grip?
Strange, I see a noticeable change in movement through the viewfinder when VR kicks in. The grips feel more like the D7100 IMO, quite chunky/brick-like and don't fit into the hand so well. The D750 is the first Nikon where I think they've got the grip design/feel right.

Is this the Nikon grip that feels like the older style or the Meike?
Only tried the Meike, but I believe it feels exactly the same as the Nikon one. I probably making it sound worse than it is, at the end of the day there's a lot of people that don't have an issue with Nikon grips ;) It's just I can from the Sony A77 which was ergonomically superb and the Nikons always felt chunky in comparison,..... until the D750.

Yes, I had what looked like plastic swarf in my VF after a few days use. I sent it back to Panamoz and the whole process took three days to have my money refunded. I have had another two bodies since and they have both been fine.

I would contact your seller and see what they say, you shouldn't be having a filthy focus screen and sensor with only 98 shots taken. Was your lens nice and clean when first connected to the body, you haven't pointed it to the sky and a load of dust has come into the camera from lens?

The lens came straight off my D610 onto the D750 so should have been clean!
There's only 1 spec on the focus screen but the sensor is pretty grotty!
I went shooting landscapes on one of the really hot nights we had back at the beginning of July,so wonder if it sucked in a load of dust whilst zooming it then!

:help:
As for VR... Having used Tamron's VC, Sigma's OS and Fuji's OIS i think that Nikon's VR is well below par. With the others the image in the VF would pretty much freeze. With the VR it made no difference. Having said that i never did any tests with VR regarding slow shutter speeds so maybe I'm speaking out of turn

This was taken back in 2003 with a D100 on 80-400 f4.5-5.6. It was a hand-held, grab shot from the back of a wedding venue (probably about 25 metres). I spotted the label on the Groom's new shoes so literally rushed the lens on and took this shot. I was pretty impressed with it as, in the viewfinder, I thought I noticed 1/60 sec but the EXIF shows 1/6 sec! As you can tell 400 iso on a D100 was never the best but you can "just" about read the price paid - £45 :)

I wouldn't call that 'below par' - not considering we're looking at Nikon's first venture into the VR world - about 13-14 years ago! Don't forget - this is the equivalent field of view of 600mm on a FF sensor.

As for not being rock steady - if I had both eyes open I used to suffer a form motion sickness until I got used to it!

Click for full size.

VR_example_D100 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Last edited:
The lens came straight off my D610 onto the D750 so should have been clean!
There's only 1 spec on the focus screen but the sensor is pretty grotty!
I went shooting landscapes on one of the really hot nights we had back at the beginning of July,so wonder if it sucked in a load of dust whilst zooming it then!

Is the 24-70mm weather resistent? hopefully with dust you can use a rocket blower to clean the sensor.

Yea 24-70 f2.8 is sealed I think!
I've cleaned the sensor and all good and I can live with the speck on the focusing screen as I know from experience that there will be more to add to the collection in time!

Yes, all the Nikor pro-lenses are weather sealed.

Thanks for that, but how can a sensor get filthy after 98 shots when the lens and body are weather sealed and the lens was fitted in a clean environment at home? Or does weather sealed mean just against rain, as I thought dust would be included??

Thanks for that, but how can a sensor get filthy after 98 shots when the lens and body are weather sealed and the lens was fitted in a clean environment at home? Or does weather sealed mean just against rain, as I thought dust would be included??
It is dust resistant too so don't know why. I wouldn't expect a standard lens to let a lot of dust in tbh, unless in a dust storm and you were zooming in and out.

Do you have any pics you can post so we can see how bad we're talking?

Last edited:
It's not from my body and lens, it's Cotty who has the lens and camera. The discussion started on previous page (see below).

I'm considering sending mine back to Nikon!
98 shots,sensor filthy and crap on the focus screen as I can see it through the view finder!
Only ever one lens change,when I took the body cap off and put the 24-70 on!
My D610 has done 1000's of shots an it's still spotless!
The only thing putting me off is apart from the dust issues it performs flawlessly,I'm happy to clean the sensor myself and my D7000 has so many spots on the focus screen it's not real.
Just a bit miffed it's so cruddy so soon!
Just wondering if anyone else has had dust issues or I've just been unlucky?

It is dust resistant too so don't know why. I wouldn't expect a standard lens to let a lot of dust in tbh, unless in a dust storm and you were coming in and out.

They are sealed against dust as well. Believe it it or not even in the cleanest of houses there is still dust flying around, this can be evidenced in strong sunlight.

Cheers - all these new lenses :)

It's not from my body and lens, it's Cotty who has the lens and camera. The discussion started on previous page (see below).
Sorry, too may conversations going off :oops: :$:LOL:

It is dust resistant too so don't know why. I wouldn't expect a standard lens to let a lot of dust in tbh, unless in a dust storm and you were zooming in and out.

It was quite bad for 98 shots!
The only thing I can think is that the first time I used it outside of the house was on one of those really hot nights at the beginning of July in a corn field so was pretty dusty!
All is well,I cleaned the sensor today and it's now spotless!
The spec on the focusing screen is no big deal.
Every DSLR I've owned has developed spots in the viewfinder at some point!
I remember my D7000 got one when it was fairly new and I lived with it,it's now full of them![emoji1]

I have to say since getting back from my holidays I've been in a bit of a photography "funk", not had any motivation to get out at all, been working through a simplification of my lens line-up and very nearly ditching Nikon all together for a Sony A7ii... however I've decided that I'm best off keeping the D750 and going back to a lighter lens line-up like I've liked before, currently down to just the 24mm f2.8D and 50mm f1.8G along with the Tamron 70-300 VC which did a great job on holiday and will likely stay.

I took too much gear on holiday (18-35, 24-70, 70-300, 50 & 24) and frankly didn't use most of it, it was a pain to carry and transport (carry-on rules!) constantly worrying if my hand baggage would get weighed or measured!

I'm most attracted to the Sony Ax system but in retrospect the model I'd buy is the A7ii and it doesn't give me a single thing the D750 doesn't but a slightly smaller size so instead I'm going to move to a lightweight prime setup, focusing on the Nikon G's, 35mm f1.8 is next and then probably the 20mm f1.8 those two along with the 70-300 should do most things I want to do, and I hope a lighter nimbler setup will help inspire me a bit more to get out and shoot!

Reactions: JYC
I have to say since getting back from my holidays I've been in a bit of a photography "funk", not had any motivation to get out at all, been working through a simplification of my lens line-up and very nearly ditching Nikon all together for a Sony A7ii... however I've decided that I'm best off keeping the D750 and going back to a lighter lens line-up like I've liked before, currently down to just the 24mm f2.8D and 50mm f1.8G along with the Tamron 70-300 VC which did a great job on holiday and will likely stay.

I took too much gear on holiday (18-35, 24-70, 70-300, 50 & 24) and frankly didn't use most of it, it was a pain to carry and transport (carry-on rules!) constantly worrying if my hand baggage would get weighed or measured!

I'm most attracted to the Sony Ax system but in retrospect the model I'd buy is the A7ii and it doesn't give me a single thing the D750 doesn't but a slightly smaller size so instead I'm going to move to a lightweight prime setup, focusing on the Nikon G's, 35mm f1.8 is next and then probably the 20mm f1.8 those two along with the 70-300 should do most things I want to do, and I hope a lighter nimbler setup will help inspire me a bit more to get out and shoot!

I dragged the D750, 70-200, 35mm and a 2x TC to Sri Lanka, and it was a bit of a pain, especially while juggling a 3 year old. Think for holidays, I might be better off getting a superzoom, but then I know I'd miss the capabilities of the D750 while I was away!

Just need the little one to hurry up and get big enough to be my lens-caddy maybe...

Can't beat the 35/85 prime combo personally. I will add a 20 once funds allow although Nikon recently announced a 24 1.8 that might suit, on FF 24 is plenty wide for my tastes.

Can't beat the 35/85 prime combo personally. I will add a 20 once funds allow although Nikon recently announced a 24 1.8 that might suit, on FF 24 is plenty wide for my tastes.

Didn't really get on with the 85, prefer a zoom for anything beyond 70mm, might add another 70-200 f4 when funds allow... although I have to say the £250 Tamron was amazing.

Tend to use this combo for most things, however, for travel I take just the 35, but this year I took the 50 1.8G too as it weighs next to nothing. Definitely, less, is more! You will use it more if you scale down.

I gave a the Nikon 35mm f/2D an extended run out this weekend for photos and video snippets of the family. I enjoyed the super light set-up and the 35mm perspective over lugging the stellar 24-70 for these situations. The decent manual focus ring for video, the colour rendering of the f/2 and the lens being small didn't put anyone on edge when shooting.

It will remain on the D750 until I can grab a decent small P&S like the RX100. Though investing in a decent strap and small bag could be a better investment to keep to the compact nature of things.

I have a 50mm f1.8 and its a great super light lens to carry around.

However, I'm still looking for my next lens and no idea what to go for!

I have a 50mm f1.8 and its a great super light lens to carry around.

However, I'm still looking for my next lens and no idea what to go for!

when non birding I use my 70 200mm f2.8 VR a lot ........ I also find the Nikon 105mm f2.8VR micro very sharp and good for portrait head shots and similar

when non birding I use my 70 200mm f2.8 VR a lot ........ I also find the Nikon 105mm f2.8VR micro very sharp and good for portrait head shots and similar
My 70-200 f2.8 VRII is my favourite lens.

Is anyone here using the 35mm F2 D lens on their D750?

I miss having a 35mm but the nikon 1.8 and sigma 1.4 are way out of budget.

I gave a the Nikon 35mm f/2D an extended run out this weekend for photos and video snippets of the family. I enjoyed the super light set-up and the 35mm perspective over lugging the stellar 24-70 for these situations. The decent manual focus ring for video, the colour rendering of the f/2 and the lens being small didn't put anyone on edge when shooting.

It will remain on the D750 until I can grab a decent small P&S like the RX100. Though investing in a decent strap and small bag could be a better investment to keep to the compact nature of things.

:D

I've been thinking of adding some D lenses, just not sure which. Are there any that have a classic rendering?

Back