Nikon D750 & D780

ok, decided to defiantely chage away from my 7100 and go full frame with the 750, just seems a no brainer from panamoz.

but Im pondering over lenses, I have recently started shooting weddings and also do some track action too.

1st option is to go with primes, 28mm, 50mm and 85mm for around £1100 this doesnt include a telephoto for track action but is all my budget used

or to go with the 24-120 F4 kit lens for £360 which would mean no messing around changing lenses every 2 mins and maybe get the 50 or 85 prime for portraits and still have enough for something like the 70-200 Tamron

baring in mind I am only doing a couple of weddings a year at the moment and not charging a huge amount, am I really going to be wishing I spent the extra on the primes? Low light on the primes would be great but the 750 would help compensate for that?

ok, decided to defiantely chage away from my 7100 and go full frame with the 750, just seems a no brainer from panamoz.

but Im pondering over lenses, I have recently started shooting weddings and also do some track action too.

1st option is to go with primes, 28mm, 50mm and 85mm for around £1100 this doesnt include a telephoto for track action but is all my budget used

or to go with the 24-120 F4 kit lens for £360 which would mean no messing around changing lenses every 2 mins and maybe get the 50 or 85 prime for portraits and still have enough for something like the 70-200 Tamron

baring in mind I am only doing a couple of weddings a year at the moment and not charging a huge amount, am I really going to be wishing I spent the extra on the primes? Low light on the primes would be great but the 750 would help compensate for that?

Personally I would stick with the primes, but I take it you still have a back up camera if the D750 fails? It's a must have if your going to be shooting weddings (even 1 or 2 a year) in which case you could put the 50mm on one and the 85mm on the other. Another lens you may want to consider is the 35mm which is invariably more useful for weddings than the 50mm.

I've recently started into weddings and seriously considered going with primes (35 on one camera, 85 on the other), but have made the decision, at least for the moment to go with zooms, mainly for the convenience especially while I'm still finding my feet style wise. Down the line though I do intend to add some primes but not at the expense of the zooms.

Personally I would stick with the primes, but I take it you still have a back up camera if the D750 fails? It's a must have if your going to be shooting weddings (even 1 or 2 a year) in which case you could put the 50mm on one and the 85mm on the other. Another lens you may want to consider is the 35mm which is invariably more useful for weddings than the 50mm.

Well I'm doing a friends one in November which I probably won't have 2 for. I have the 35mm prime for my dx but that wouldn't be best used on an fx though would it?

If you're considering a prime, it's a decent idea to use lightroom to find out what focal length you tend to use your zoom at the most. You can use the meta filter on the library section to do that.

As a starter for track why not get the Sigma 70-300 thats about £84 from Amazon - I picked one up just as a quick stop gap and found it surprisingly good - I've a pic of a heron in flight I took a few pages back (or just on my Flickr) - just until you find something better later - as I'm guessing that sides a hobby it should do.

I generally used my 35mm dx prime for my previous weddings, and my 70-300 nikon, this was before I had my 10-20mm wide angle which I could have really done with at times so could probably get away with the 28mm and 50mm and then a telephoto when I want to mix into the background and get some more natural shots.

I'm still deciding between the Nikon 70-300 and Tamron. So many mixed reviews it's making it a tough choice!

Now I have a trade offer on my 35mm for the Nikon version which might sway it.

I'm still deciding between the Nikon 70-300 and Tamron. So many mixed reviews it's making it a tough choice!

Now I have a trade offer on my 35mm for the Nikon version which might sway it.

If it's technical reviews you're going by then it's the Nikon.... if it's Value for Money then you're on the horns of a dilemma!

Well they are the same price if that helps?!

I found the VC better than the VR in terms of stabilisation, but the Nikon 70-300 VR has the edge in terms of IQ. Buy according to your budget, both are decent.

Well I'm doing a friends one in November which I probably won't have 2 for. I have the 35mm prime for my dx but that wouldn't be best used on an fx though would it?

Actually the DX 35 f/1.8 is not bad on FX at all.

Well they are the same price if that helps?!

I said it on another thread. For me when shooting with my D7000 I prefered the output and VC of the Tamron after owning both versions and having them at the same time to compare. The only thing the Nikon offered for me, was it was slightly better built. I have the Tamron now on the D750 and for the money it's performing well, and the VC is still excellent. If you plan to sell in the future the Nikon will hold it's money better, so if they're the same price, the Nikon would be my choice for that reason.

Is that the Sigma or Nikon 105mm your using Mike?? I have recently bought the Sigma version and have been having a play around with some insects the last couple of days or so and it's not easy, but a lot of fun.

A couple of my efforts, pleased with first go, but need a lot of practice to get upto the standard of some of the pics in the Macro Section.

Trying out new Sigma 105 Macro lens on some dead flies. by Simon Rees, on Flickr

20150827-DSC_1955 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Trying out new Sigma 105 Macro lens on some dead flies. by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Last edited:
I used my 24-120 f4 and Nikon 70-300vr a few weeks ago at Brands Hatch, both performed excellently. I can recommend either, or both. 24-120 was great for close up panning.

For those who are after a D750 and care for UK stock, Calumet is offering a £100 off this bank holiday with the code BANKHOL100 bringing down the price to £1399.

I am selling my D610 next week and will pick up one from Ppanamoz.

I am selling my D610 next week and will pick up one from Panamoz.

For what its worth, I just got one from Panamoz and was very impressed with the speed of delivery and the communications, so a big thumbs up from me - good luck if you do place an order !

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions but how do you find the Nikon 70-200 f4 - can you compare it to either the Canon 70-200 f4 or even the Tamron 70-300 VC in terms of weight, size and speed of focus ?
I am debating getting either the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 but remember all too well how heavy the F2.8 Canon I used to have..
Also, what about the SB700 - do you ever find yourself wishing for more power when bouncing off a ceiling ?

Any help much appreciated !

For what its worth, I just got one from Panamoz and was very impressed with the speed of delivery and the communications, so a big thumbs up from me - good luck if you do place an order !

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions but how do you find the Nikon 70-200 f4 - can you compare it to either the Canon 70-200 f4 or even the Tamron 70-300 VC in terms of weight, size and speed of focus ?
I am debating getting either the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 but remember all too well how heavy the F2.8 Canon I used to have..
Also, what about the SB700 - do you ever find yourself wishing for more power when bouncing off a ceiling ?

Here's my view on the Nikon 70-200F4 and Tamron 70-300 VC USD
I had the Tamron 70-300 VC before the Nikon and TBH it is a great lens if you get a good copy. I had to go through three to get a good one. The Tamron VC is very good and noticeable (it grabs the frame) while the Nikon's VR works differently and it does not stand out as obvious but works really well. The Nikon VR is almost silent whereas the Tamron is quite noisy.

The Nikon is sharper than the Tamron and that F4 does help with at >100mm. The Nikon also has a better close focusing distance. The Nikon also resolves better than the Tamron if you compare at 100% into distance shots which is great for landscape work. The nano coating adds better contrast and colur rendering, but it can be fixed in post with the Tamron. One thing I noticed with the tamron is that some pictures turn out with haze and I think this is where nano coating of Nikon helps.

Please note that the Nikon does not extend or collapse, but the Tamron does. At shortest size, the Tamron is shorter, but it can extend to a longer lens at 300 mm.

At every focal length at F4, the Nikon is sharper than the Tamron and at 5.6 and above it is super sharp. The Nikon focuses faster than the Tamron. Build wise, the Nikon is definitely better.

I think the Tamron at £250 odd is quite a good value and you also get 100mm extra reach, but when it comes to IQ, bit faster constant aperture and focusing, the Nikon wins every time.

SB700- I have shot a lot with the SB700 and mostly at max 1/2 power on manual. I have only felt it is lacking power when the ceilings or the bouncing surface is either too high or too far. It is a cracking flash. With cameras like D750 and high ISO, you don't need much flash power, but if you have the money getting higher powered flash is always good.

Hope that helps and thanks for your comment on Panamoz,

Brilliant - many thanks anibap for such a helpful reply.
As one who is new to Nikon I am slowly getting my head around what might be useful, and your reply certainly helps !

I have the Tamron 70-300 but since my D750 arrived I have been away working so not had a chance to even put a strap onto the body let alone use it or the lens !

Part of the reason for getting the D750 is just as you say - high ISO means less flash power needed hence my question about the SB700 - the SB910 looks great but maybe overkill for most of my needs...
I'll be re-reading your reply a few times and spending some time thinking !

I personally don't think he D750 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII is an overly heavy combo, I love this lens. The SB700 is powerful enough for most things and is an excellent flash. The CLS system is great and works flawlessly. The SB910 is considerably bigger and heavier, but if you absolutely have to have the most power then that's the one to go for.

Brilliant - many thanks anibap for such a helpful reply.
As one who is new to Nikon I am slowly getting my head around what might be useful, and your reply certainly helps !

I have the Tamron 70-300 but since my D750 arrived I have been away working so not had a chance to even put a strap onto the body let alone use it or the lens !

Part of the reason for getting the D750 is just as you say - high ISO means less flash power needed hence my question about the SB700 - the SB910 looks great but maybe overkill for most of my needs...
I'll be re-reading your reply a few times and spending some time thinking !

Glad to know I was able to help in some way. I never thought I would use the SB700 so much, but I use it a lot and one of the best things I use it for is HSS outdoors. You will be happy. What I have done is bought a £50 yongnuo manual flash 560 III (IIRC) and when I need more power or a two light setup, I use the slave mode on the Yongnuo and use TTL or full manual control on the SB700 from my D610 and it works really well.

As for Nikon 70-200 F4, I love the lens, but it is my least used lens as I mostly shoot landscape, travel, portraits and street. I am thinking of selling it in as new condition, but every time I see those 10-20 images I shot with it I get second thoughts.

Just got my 'invoice' from Panamoz for the D750 with 24-120 f4. All ready to do the bank transfer but that won't go through till Tuesday. Guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer and enjoy the Bank Holiday :)

Well, my D750 never arrived back from Nikon today like they promised. Another call on Tuesday methinks !

Great set of images David, with #2 the B&W shot being my fav'.(y)

George.

Back