Nikon D750 & D780

Well, spoke to Nikon yesterday about my D750 that they have now had for a month, and that they told me was being repaired at the beginning of last week and I should receive back by the end of last week, and surprise.....it's awaiting parts and could be another 2-3 weeks yet !

Not happy :(

You're kidding... thats awful.

Well, spoke to Nikon yesterday about my D750 that they have now had for a month, and that they told me was being repaired at the beginning of last week and I should receive back by the end of last week, and surprise.....it's awaiting parts and could be another 2-3 weeks yet !

Unacceptable imo. How old was it went in and was it UK stock? I'd want a loaner from the retailer or nikon.

If its UK stock and under 6 months old i would be getting a replacement from the store as your contact is with them.Even upto two years you can demand this, just after the first 6months you have to prove the fault which there obviously is.

I had my D800 replaced after 10 months as i wasn't happy that it was returned to nikon for the left AF fault which took them weeks to supposidly sort and came back worse.

Unacceptable imo. How old was it went in and was it UK stock? I'd want a loaner from the retailer or nikon.

About 6 months old, new UK stock from WEX Photographic.

annoyingly, although I never saw the shading issue myself, (although the serial number was of a batch that was affected), I sent it back for peace of mind and to maintain future re-sale value and desirability. Almost wish I hadn't bothered now.

Luckily I have my D810 and D7200 DSLR bodies (as well as my M43 gear), so It's not the end of the world, but not right all the same !

Last edited:
Even so, in essence Nikon themselves have gobbled up a chuck of the warranty time - which is far from fair..

I'm not surprised you're not happy. I would be going mental if it were me. Whether you have other cameras is beside the point, they should be prioritising cameras to be with them for the minimum time, (which they may hopefully be doing) and if it looks like it is going to be over a couple of weeks, they should be keeping you up to date on what is happening, and after a certain time offer you alternatives. If that means a new camera, then so be it, but there should at least be a loaner if they don't want to give you a new replacement camera, and have no idea when things will be resolved.

If none of that happened above after a month, I would be phoning every day, and trying to escalate it up to someone who can make things happen.

Unfortunately Nikon have had a problem with the D750 blowing the internal circuit boards. There is a whole new batch on the way in a container in a slow boat from the Far East. Why they couldn't be flown over I have no idea, perhaps the volume required ! Anyway it's not good news. Nikon UK had one of my D750s for 6 weeks, it had been back twice. I spoke with the manager as I was less than happy and got a brand new replacement sent out. Thankfully it's flare and the latest shutter issue are not effected according to the serial number search.

Further to my last it's certainly made me think about becoming an early adopter in the future. That said the D750 is an outstanding camera. It's just a shame for everyone concerned that their have been a few issues. Must of cost Nikon £Ms to put right,

Unfortunately Nikon have had a problem with the D750 blowing the internal circuit boards. There is a whole new batch on the way in a container in a slow boat from the Far East. Why they couldn't be flown over I have no idea, perhaps the volume required ! Anyway it's not good news. Nikon UK had one of my D750s for 6 weeks, it had been back twice. I spoke with the manager as I was less than happy and got a brand new replacement sent out. Thankfully it's flare and the latest shutter issue are not effected according to the serial number search.

Hi there - where did the info come from ie circuit boards and send ing by boat!

Well, it's cheap. I'm probably going to pair it with some of the other STM lenses because they're also very cheap. Probably the 10-18. It's tiny and the 50mm STM fits it well. The 40mm doesn't really interest me though.

The young 'un will probably use it more than me but it's a nice addition.

I'll keep you posted. Only got it today so not had chance to give it a proper test yet.

^^ dear oh dear oh dear. We used to be so close and now...what has happened ? You've gone off the rails and to the dark side

I may have to get you some counselling :hug:

Can i ask how it is been thinking of buying my daughter a camera and had been looking at that.
No point in her having a nikon as she wouldn't be getting my lenses and its nice and small

I'm looking at getting the daughter a camera too. Tempted by a d90 as I had one before and the daughter could easily use it.

Doesn't tie in well with me wanting a d750 though!!

I am after a zoom to complement my 35 an 85 1.8 primes. With weddings in mind the 24-70 would seem like the best bet, although the 24-120 can be had quite cheap and could be a decent option and serve as back up and a wider option for the two primes.

Any thoughts between the zooms?

Looking to add a 70-200 eventually as well, the Nikon looks like my preferred choice although I the Tamron offers what seems excellent value.

The 24-70 is in a whole different league to the 24-120 in ny experience. Focus speed is instantaneous and the build quality is great. It's a real 'pro' contructed lens.
I'm thinking 24-70, it is either that or for similar price I could pick up a tamron 70-200 and upgrade my 35 to the sigma art!

I used to have a 24-70 (on Canon) and found the range fine, but the 24-120 is just more useful - that said obviously you're not going to get that in a 2.8, which I would have though was better for weddings.

Regarding the 70-200 Tamron, its a brilliant lens.

Edited to remove the bit where I got my lenses mixed up!!!!

Last edited:
I used to have a 24-70 (on Canon) and found the range fine, but the 24-120 is just more useful

I went through the same issue several times with the Canon 24-70 and the 24-105, and got through 2 of each as I always missed the extra length of the 24-105, but the 24-70 was the better lens.

I've now got the Nikon 24-120 and love its range and am hoping that the D750's sensor will allow me to forget the F4 part. Ultra narrow DoF is not such an issue for me, but I have an inkling that I may need to try a 24-70 at some stage....

I have to say I much prefer a narrower DoF, so I tend to use the 24-120 as a catch all walkaround lens when I'm more recording than creating images I like - if that makes sense.

I used to have a 24-70 (on Canon) and found the range fine, but the 24-120 is just more useful - that said obviously you're not going to get that in a 2.8, which I would have though was better for weddings.

Regarding the 70-200 Tamron, its a brilliant lens with one caveat - it can freeze, its only happened to me once but it will mean a lost shot (to fix pop the battery out and in again - just a two second job but that could have been the shot of the day)

Testing my memory here John, but have you also got the Tamron 150-600mm which has also froze on you??

My Tamron 150-600 used to occasionally freeze on my D750 and D810. I've just received it back from Tamron after performing a firmware update, and whilst I've only had it back for a day or so, so far at least, no lockups Having said that, they were becoming more and more less frequent strangely, for which I can't explain why ?

Testing my memory here John, but have you also got the Tamron 150-600mm which has also froze on you??

lol, I'm an idiot - I meant the 150-600 - please ignore!!

My Tamron 150-600 used to occasionally freeze on my D750 and D810. I've just received it back from Tamron after performing a firmware update, and whilst I've only had it back for a day or so, so far at least, no lockups Having said that, they were becoming more and more less frequent strangely, for which I can't explain why ?

I did hear it said that it could be a problem with the manual focus ring, which if it is true could explain it as they tend to get a little looser after a bit.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that, does make sense, as I used to have a lens coat on it (which covered the manual focus ring), but I took it all off about 3 months ago - coincidence ?

Andrew - any more news on your 750 ? - I feel for you on this - could make you lose all confidence in the thing which would be a shame .

Back