Nikon D750 & D780

I know and that makes the D810 such a great camera. I wish it was bit cheaper for my pocket and bit lighter :)
It was the weight/ergonomics that swayed me to the D750 tbh.

I'm sure if they had gone -EV rather than just +EV it might have been different I'm sure I read that the D750 is great at pulling up shadows and D810 pulling back from highlights ? Or I'm missing the point / not reading it correct

I'm sure if they had gone -EV rather than just +EV it might have been different I'm sure I read that the D750 is great at pulling up shadows and D810 pulling back from highlights ? Or I'm missing the point / not reading it correct

From memory I read it like this - The D600/D610 and D800/D810 has better shadow recovery compared to highlight recovery, where as the D750 is tweaked to offer a balanced solution with better highlight recovery compromising a little bit on shadow recovery compared to the D6XX and D8XX models. This is also where the sensor on the D750 is claimed by Nikon to be new although most cases it is hard to distinguish it from the D610 sensor on raw files other than default colour rendering. No idea if this is any true.

Only someone who owns both can confirm shooting the same scene.

That looks just like Woody, the drummer from Madness.

That`s because it is Woody. Promo shoot with Dan Sears, for Woody`s solo album.

Very nice Paul, and a great idea. My only small nick pick would be the eyes only need one catch light in each eye.(y)

George.

Thanks George
I had just noticed that ... Looks wrong doesn`t it. Easily fixed though.

Any folk got examples of shots with the d750 and a sigma 50 f1.4 art. Mines in the process of being delivered....the agonising wait!

Any folk got examples of shots with the d750 and a sigma 50 f1.4 art. Mines in the process of being delivered....the agonising wait!

Ordered my 610 last Thursday from Panamoz and was delivered 10am Monday, can't be long mate.

Well i got my bargain basement UWA... I wasn't expecting too much tbh but it's actually ok. It's noisy, plastic, old and the exif gets screwed up at 19mm. It also only stops down to f4.5 when it should go to f3.5 but tbh it will be used at f11 anyway so that's not a real problem. (for me!)

Colours are very nice indeed when shooting in the field and sharpness seems ok too. Not much difference between 19mm and 24mm in reality, but it's a shed load lighter.

Few samples... Nothing too compelling but i needed to play!

Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm test
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Never realised 32mm was so wide. :rolleyes: Wonder why the exif says 32mm? It also states the lens is a 20-34mm. Haha.

£70 well spent. It's being treated to a weekend in the lakes in a couple of weeks time. Hoping to try and take in some autumnal colours and calm, reflective waters.

Well i got my bargain basement UWA... I wasn't expecting too much tbh but it's actually ok. It's noisy, plastic, old and the exif gets screwed up at 19mm. It also only stops down to f4.5 when it should go to f3.5 but tbh it will be used at f11 anyway so that's not a real problem. (for me!)

Colours are very nice indeed when shooting in the field and sharpness seems ok too. Not much difference between 19mm and 24mm in reality, but it's a shed load lighter.

Nice one mate. It`s great to snag a bargain :)

Nice cakes!!

I...err... have a picture of a lamb...

20151004-DSC_0983_zpsqtfnmsov.jpg

Nice cakes!!

I...err... have a picture of a lamb...

20151004-DSC_0983_zpsqtfnmsov.jpg

Looks like it was about to nibble on ya lens hood ;)

Are you bracketing or using filters with your landscapes?

And you blend them in LR - is that easier than PS?

Thanks to some tips from @minnnt I'm finding LR so much better for blending. I'm still finding my way round it as everything is very different, but the HDR merge is excellent and I have merged hand held 7 bracketed shots and its pretty much lined everything up perfectly.

And you blend them in LR - is that easier than PS?

Yes, as JJ says Lr's merge function is absolutely excellent. Just select the files you want, right click, photo merge, HDR and give it 30 seconds and it does everything for you. I let it auto tone them too and then tinker with it to how i want it afterwards with brushes etc. PS is so complicated compared to Lr imo but then i have never really done much in PS before anyway so maybe it's just me not being used to it.

Yes, as JJ says Lr's merge function is absolutely excellent. Just select the files you want, right click, photo merge, HDR and give it 30 seconds and it does everything for you. I let it auto tone them too and then tinker with it to how i want it afterwards with brushes etc. PS is so complicated compared to Lr imo but then i have never really done much in PS before anyway so maybe it's just me not being used to it.

I'm all for keeping it simple mate!!

Delivery man has been [emoji6]

So whilst fiddling with the new camera, I thought I was adjusting the ISO (rec button) but was actually adjusting the metering. Ended up with a very underexposed image in LR.

The shadow recovery is phenomenal!!! It's an awful subject in the pic but just wow!!

My company bought a D750 and 24-120mm lens, and I was having a play with it today. I considered the D750 and the D7200 before opting for the D5500 as my body choice. I weighed up a lot of factors including price, features, usability and weight. On usability, I assumed the D750 would be comfortably ahead of the D5500 due to the larger size and additional manual controls. I also assumed, that being used to Nikon, picking up and using the D750 would be easy. That was not the case. I found it more difficult to get to the options I want and change them on the D750 than the D5500. As an example, I couldn't figure out how to change the AF settings (single focus point, 51 area, etc), and after googling that, I then failed to work out how to move an AF point without resorting to google again.

Secondly, I knew the weight was significantly different, but I didn't realise how it would feel in practice. Having checked the specs, it looks like my D5500 combo is ~910g and the D750 is 1,465g, so about 60% heavier My hands were getting tired with the D750 after just 10-15 minutes of using it, unlike my D5500 + 18-140mm that I can use for much longer periods with greater comfort.

I am posting because I wonder if this is all just lack of familiarity, or if others have had a similar experience? I have no doubt the D750 is a much more capable camera than my D5500, but in actually taking the shot I want, I found the latter easier.

Last edited:
My company bought a D750 and 24-120mm lens, and I was having a play with it today. I considered the D750 and the D7200 before opting for the D5500 as my body choice. I weighed up a lot of factors including price, features, usability and weight. On usability, I assumed the D750 would be comfortably ahead of the D5500 due to the larger size and additional manual controls. I also assumed, that being used to Nikon, picking up and using the D750 would be easy. That was not the case. I found it more difficult to get to the options I want and change them on the D750 than the D5500. As an example, I couldn't figure out how to change the AF settings (single focus point, 51 area, etc), and after googling that, I then failed to work out how to move an AF point without resorting to google again.

Secondly, I knew the weight was significantly different, but I didn't realise how it would feel in practice. My hands were getting tired with the D750 after just 10-15 minutes of using it, unlike my D5500 + 18-140mm that I can use for much longer periods with greater comfort.

I am posting because I wonder if this is all just lack of familiarity, or if others have had a similar experience? I have no doubt the D750 is a much more capable camera than my D5500, but in actually taking the shot I want, I found the latter easier.

Got to ask......did you "RTFM" to borrow a frequently used expression.

I'm going to say familiarity or lack thereof.

I moved from a d90 to a d800. There were quite a few differences. I had to look up (in the manual) how to change af areas etc.

The d750 is fairly close to the d800 in terms of controls but I'll still read the manual and get used to some bits as I go.

At the end of the day, the camera is just a tool for taking pics. Use what you need to get the pic. If the d5500 is easier for you to use, then you're more likely to get the pics you want.

Last edited:
I have disabilities in arm, hand etc......and I find the D750 very comfortable to use due to the deep grip. As for settings, when you get familiar with them every thing can be adjusted quickly on these type of bodies. I have had the D3000, D3100 and D7000, D7100, V1 & J1 and I find the D750 the easiest to use now I'm used to the control layout after previously using the D7000 & D7100 which are similar to operate. I do most of my shooting in manual and I can change most things without removing the camera from my eye.

IIRC as it's while now, with the D3xxx series I had to dive into the menu sustem to changes things which seemed very slow to operate. Is it the same with the D5xxx series?

Comfort is a big thing for me and if that ment buying a D5xxx series then I would have bought it. Thats the important point, use what's comfortable for the user.

Last edited:
Got to ask......did you "RTFM" to borrow a frequently used expression.

No I didn't, but then I didn't for the D5500 either and it seemed more intuitive to use. My plan with the D5500 was to start there, and if I really enjoyed photography, for that to become my back-up body while I moved to something more capable like the D750. I am enjoying photography and being able to try before you buy can only be a good thing. I expected to love the D750.

Secondly, I knew the weight was significantly different, but I didn't realise how it would feel in practice. Having checked the specs, it looks like my D5500 combo is ~910g and the D750 is 1,465g, so about 60% heavier My hands were getting tired with the D750 after just 10-15 minutes of using it, unlike my D5500 + 18-140mm that I can use for much longer periods with greater comfort.

This is why it's soooooooo important to try cameras for yourself. The D750 is a better camera of that there's no doubt, but if you don't get on with it then it just becomes a very expensive paperweight. Coming from Sony I couldn't figure out how to change the AF mode either and had to ask. I now find it a doddle though. Apart from that I found the D750 pretty intuitive tbh. Layout is pretty straight forward and menus are simple to follow and understand. I don't understand why you struggles to move the AF point around though, it's no different to any other camera I've used in that you just press the control pad in which direction you want :confused:

My only gripe with the D750 layout is the playback button. I prefer it on the right so that I don't have to change my grip when viewing images (my left hand cups the lens so I have to move this hand to press the playback button).

This is why it's soooooooo important to try cameras for yourself. The D750 is a better camera of that there's no doubt, but if you don't get on with it then it just becomes a very expensive paperweight. Coming from Sony I couldn't figure out how to change the AF mode either and had to ask. I now find it a doddle though. Apart from that I found the D750 pretty intuitive tbh. Layout is pretty straight forward and menus are simple to follow and understand. I don't understand why you struggles to move the AF point around though, it's no different to any other camera I've used in that you just press the control pad in which direction you want :confused:

My only gripe with the D750 layout is the playback button. I prefer it on the right so that I don't have to change my grip when viewing images (my left hand cups the lens so I have to move this hand to press the playback button).

Focus lock was on. I didn't know the switch existed :)

Back