Nikon D750 & D780

I think it helped! Bet you're glad to have that day over David [emoji106]

My personal preference is to not use rear curtain sync, but rather front curtain. Means I get the action I'm seeing at that split second.

Try setting your flash zoom to 200mm when using slow sync flash and you'll get a nice vignette which helps draw focus to the centre of the frame.

Good work, David! Glad you had a relatively stress free day - It doesn't get better than that.

Thanks Deci, will try that. :clap:

Nice one David.

I think you've done a really good job mate. Do you plan on putting them anywhere as a set?

My personal preference is to not use rear curtain sync, but rather front curtain. Means I get the action I'm seeing at that split second.

Try setting your flash zoom to 200mm when using slow sync flash and you'll get a nice vignette which helps draw focus to the centre of the frame.

Good work, David! Glad you had a relatively stress free day - It doesn't get better than that.

I'll second that about not using rear curtain sync. I think the last wedding I did I was down to around half a second and you can't judge it at all.

Lovely colours (y)

Since seeing all the great shots on here I have taken to having the 750 around with me everywhere I go (almost!) but have I taken a half decent photo yet? Have I heck!! How do you guys do it!??!
It probably doesn't help that I need to get a FF WA lens. The only one I have is an 18 - 55 kit lens from Wifey's D5000. Not ideal!

Keep the inspirational shots coming :)

Lovely colours (y)

Since seeing all the great shots on here I have taken to having the 750 around with me everywhere I go (almost!) but have I taken a half decent photo yet? Have I heck!! How do you guys do it!??!
It probably doesn't help that I need to get a FF WA lens. The only one I have is an 18 - 55 kit lens from Wifey's D5000. Not ideal!

Keep the inspirational shots coming :)
Using a DX lens on a FF body is not going to help. Do you have any other lenses?

Using a DX lens on a FF body is not going to help. Do you have any other lenses?
Yes. All my other lenses are FF - A Tamron 70 - 300, a Tamron 90mm macro and a Nikon 300 f4 (old one - no VR). I hope to get a 24 - 120 f4 for Christmas too. Originally, I was going to upgrade my D5000 to a D7200 but then I went a bit mad... :D

Yes. All my other lenses are FF - A Tamron 70 - 300, a Tamron 90mm macro and a Nikon 300 f4 (old one - no VR). I hope to get a 24 - 120 f4 for Christmas too. Originally, I was going to upgrade my D5000 to a D7200 but then I went a bit mad... :D
Ok so you have lenses that are more than capable of good shots, so is it just landscapes you're not getting good things from? You can take landscapes with telephotos though, well any lens really.

Ok so you have lenses that are more than capable of good shots, so is it just landscapes you're not getting good things from? You can take landscapes with telephotos though, well any lens really.
Thanks - I agree with that - I just seem to be missing a WA lens at the mo. I have been trying to use the 90mm macro. Maybe the next time I take the camera out it will be with the 70-300 and I'll try and push my compositional boundaries :) (y)

Thanks George, appreciated. I'd dismissed that photo earlier in the week but boredom with grey skies today drove me to re think some of them. I know I over process for a lot of people's taste, but the colours on this one really worked well. The detail from the 50mm 1.8g is still surprising me.

Thanks - I agree with that - I just seem to be missing a WA lens at the mo. I have been trying to use the 90mm macro. Maybe the next time I take the camera out it will be with the 70-300 and I'll try and push my compositional boundaries :) (y)

If you have a spare £100 try the 50mm 1.8g. Not wide angle but as you can see from my pic you don't always need WA. It's the sharpness that helps make a pleasing image for many.

If you have a spare £100 try the 50mm 1.8g. Not wide angle but as you can see from my pic you don't always need WA. It's the sharpness that helps make a pleasing image for many.
IMO there's far more to a pleasing landscape/image than sharpness. Yes we all like plenty of detail and sharpness these days, in fact we seem to be obsessed with it, but there's images from decades ago that are no less impressive just because lenses weren't as sharp.

Landscapes aren't a lot different to most photography in that it's mostly about subject, composition and lighting. Tbh it's an area I've been struggling with, and been raising questions how to improve. This is probably my best effort, but I'm far from where I want to be.

DSC_3752 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
IMO there's far more to a pleasing landscape/image than sharpness. Yes we all like plenty of detail and sharpness these days, in fact we seem to be obsessed with it, but there's images from decades ago that are no less impressive just because lenses weren't as sharp.

Landscapes aren't a lot different to most photography in that it's mostly about subject, composition and lighting. Tbh it's an area I've been struggling with, and been raising questions how to improve. This is probably my best effort, but I'm far from where I want to be.

DSC_3752 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Cracking shot that! One to aspire to for me (y)

Cracking shot that! One to aspire to for me (y)
Thanks. Strange how we all aspire to be someone else ;) I'd love to be able to take shots like Neil's Flickr posted a page or two ago (think it was this thread).

Landscapes are all about timing and luck lol (and of course some skill and a good eye)

You can see the most stunning of places and think what a cracking shot only to get home and think..... urrrgggghhhh

I have found that location is key. Putting in a little effort and going to places is what get you the shots. Composition etc also plays a part but you could be excellent at that but be a little too fond of the snooze button... That's why i get up at 2am and drive to The Peaks or walk 20 mile in torrential rain to shoot some filthy cars. I have noticed a massive improvement in my shots this year since i have started to put in more effort.

Quick edit of another from Friday.

The Bride
by David Raynham, on Flickr

When i have finished them i will separate the bad ones from the not so bad ones and make a thread i think. 99% of them are just the generic wedding shots but i did have a few creative seconds out of my 15 hour day. :D

Some great shots there judging by what you've posted so far :)

Thanks Andy. You've probably seen the best now so don't go getting your hopes up of any more. :D

Half the weddings I've done, there hasn't been any time at all to be set any creative shots up, that's what I find hardest about them tbh. You can have great ideas before the day, but then the ceremony starts late, everything has a knock on effect and it's the time that was set aside for photos that gets squeezed.

Doesn't annoy me, as I've seen it does some photographers, but does mean some of the more creative stuff sometimes has to go out the window.

Or, as happened in one of my last weddings. There was a field full of hay bales opposite the venue and the sun was going to set behind them all which would've made for some lovely images. But the groom was so p***ed he couldn't stand up by that point lol

I managed about 10 minutes with them both outside later into the evening. It was dark, chucking it down and blowing a gale. They'd also hired a videographer who seemed to do nothing but get in the way of everyone and latch onto me so wherever i went he was either sat on my knee or directly in the shot.

The bloke running the wedding also made a cock up by letting everyone into the wedding breakfast room so everybody sat down, bought drinks then were told to go outside for photos. The guests weren't best pleased which also lost me some time. Didn't get some key shots that the bride wanted as alot of the people didn't want to come out. The sun was fading and may have given us some nice colour in the sky but food took priority in the end. Perhaps summer weddings are more my thing. Haha.

Last edited:
I managed about 10 minutes with them both outside later into the evening. It was dark, chucking it down and blowing a gale. They'd also hired a videographer who seemed to do nothing but get in the way of everyone and latch onto me so wherever i went he was either sat on my knee or directly in the shot.

The bloke running the wedding also made a cock up by letting everyone into the wedding breakfast room so everybody sat down, bought drinks then were told to go outside for photos. The guests weren't best pleased which also lost me some time. Didn't get some key shots that the bride wanted as alot of the people didn't want to come out. The sun was fading and may have given us some nice colour in the sky but food took priority in the end. Perhaps summer weddings are more my thing. Haha.

Set my lights up on a tiny dance floor, videographer watched me do it, then 2 minutes before the dance, set himself up right in front of one of my flashes..

Wedding ended up running really late, because he kept making them stop doing things until he'd set up his tripod! Including when the bride was 15 minutes late and arrived on a vintage bus, he wouldn't let anyone get off the bus until he'd spent 10 minutes faffing about with his kit so he could video them all stepping off the bus... nightmare lol

I have a wedding booked on the 23rd December at 4pm, the light for that one is going to be fun.

Wow that should be dark! With the weather we have been having of late it could be 20°c and bright sunshine though. :LOL:

Now i have it out of the way i feel like swapping and changing my lenses... No idea why, just fancy something a little different/special.

Anything specific in mind?

I keep thinking the 24-70 would make things a lot easier! But I like my primes too much. Buying my 2nd D750 soon and if I get it from Panamoz I think I can stretch to the 135 F2 DC with it. Although, I wish someone would make a new 135 as I've heard the focus can be slow compared to the newer lenses.

The 24-70 is brilliant, it really is but it's pretty heavy!

I handled one (the new VR one) and it is really a great versatile lens and I imagine it is 95% same as the old one known as the workhorse of professionals. The focus speed is so much better than all the lenses I have. You feel like you can point, recompose and shoot so quickly without any worry and keep shooting. I only wish it was lighter. If I ever go down the professional route, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

Back