Nikon D750 & D780

Anything specific in mind?

I keep thinking the 24-70 would make things a lot easier! But I like my primes too much. Buying my 2nd D750 soon and if I get it from Panamoz I think I can stretch to the 135 F2 DC with it. Although, I wish someone would make a new 135 as I've heard the focus can be slow compared to the newer lenses.

I had a 135mm which I loved and lusted after for a long time but it really shows it's age now, it's slow to focus and isn't sharp in comparison to the newer lenses, it wasn't long before I sold it on as I didn't feel I could rely on it.

I also have a Nikon 24-70 it's a really good workhorse of a lens but lacks any sort of wow factor in comparison to using primes but it covers a very handy focal length and is a lens I use a lot, even though I have primes that cover a similar range.

I handled one (the new VR one) and it is really a great versatile lens and I imagine it is 95% same as the old one known as the workhorse of professionals. The focus speed is so much better than all the lenses I have. You feel like you can point, recompose and shoot so quickly without any worry and keep shooting. I only wish it was lighter. If I ever go down the professional route, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

I rarely focus and recompose anyway tbh, used to all the time, but switching to BBF totally changed how I shoot in that respect.

I had a 135mm which I loved and lusted after for a long time but it really shows it's age now, it's slow to focus and isn't sharp in comparison to the newer lenses, it wasn't long before I sold it on as I didn't feel I could rely on it.

I also have a Nikon 24-70 it's a really good workhorse of a lens but lacks any sort of wow factor in comparison to using primes but it covers a very handy focal length and is a lens I use a lot, even though I have primes that cover a similar range.

Yeah, that's my fear. I'm lugging around a 70-200 at weddings but if I ever use it it's for that 100 - 150mm range when my 85mm just isn't quite long enough. But other than a 105 macro, there doesn't seem to be anything "modern" in that range for Nikon.

I rarely focus and recompose anyway tbh, used to all the time, but switching to BBF totally changed how I shoot in that respect.
This has confused me lol, how has BBF changed this? I thought BBF just stopped you from having to switch between s-af and c-af, it doesn't mean that you don't have to change the focus point or focus recompose does it?

This has confused me lol, how has BBF changed this? I thought BBF just stopped you from having to switch between s-af and c-af, it doesn't mean that you don't have to change the focus point or focus recompose does it?

It means once the focus point is locked it stays locked, so once focused and composed unless the distance changes, you can shoot away and not have to repeat the process.

But when I first swapped over to BBF, it just made me start thinking in a different way, so while it doesn't directly do away with the need for focus and recompose, it was the change in control setup that changed my behaviour when focusing and using the outer focal points more than sticking with the central ones and recomposing, which is what I had been doing.

Just been watching a few videos on YT regarding the 58mm and the reviewer says that because Nikon uses the F mount they won't be able to produce f1.2 lenses. Why is that?

I read somewhere that the F-Mount is not big enough or designed in a way to handle a F1.2 lens or lower. Canon's mount allows that. It can be seen as a design limitation of F- mount rather than a flaw.

It means once the focus point is locked it stays locked, so once focused and composed unless the distance changes, you can shoot away and not have to repeat the process.

But when I first swapped over to BBF, it just made me start thinking in a different way, so while it doesn't directly do away with the need for focus and recompose, it was the change in control setup that changed my behaviour when focusing and using the outer focal points more than sticking with the central ones and recomposing, which is what I had been doing.
Ahh that makes more sense ;) I only use it for landscape, set the hyperfocal distance and then never have to worry about focussing again. For everything else pin sharp focus is critical so I tend to move the focus point and then if I still need to recompose I've not moved as much as using the central point.

Better explained here with some more information and I recall where i read it.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-f-vs-canon-ef
Ahh, but that just says it's difficult with AF, not that it can't be done but only with shorter FL's. I guess you can do even wider apertures with MF, just look at the f0.95 lenses you can get for m4/3. Is there mount diameter bigger than Nikon?

Yeah, that's my fear. I'm lugging around a 70-200 at weddings but if I ever use it it's for that 100 - 150mm range when my 85mm just isn't quite long enough. But other than a 105 macro, there doesn't seem to be anything "modern" in that range for Nikon.

Same here Andy if a new Nikon mount 135mm hits the market it's certainly something I would look at so I could retire the 70-200 f/2.8.

So it's specifically AF and f1.2 lenses which are an issue.

The new manual focus Mitakon 85mm f1.2 looks quite nice... :D
Dunno, just an 'intrepetation' on my behalf based on the above links ;) :p

Well I did it .... Moved from the D750 onto a Sony A7IIR and a 55mm 1.8. Think this will be a nice take anywhere package.

Anyone here bought or contemplating the Tamron 35 F1.8 VC? The UK prices since launch has fallen a lot (I think they were overpriced anyway for UK at launch).
It is now £499.

The reviews (including the detailed lenstip one) so far has three things making me interested in this one although still not sure if I'd prefer this FL.

1. VC - Of course and I love VC or VR as it is useful in places where tripods and flashes are not allowed and you also need to stop down to get decent dof.
2. The centre sharpness wide open - seems better than Nikon 35 1.8 FX and the borders are more consistent
3. Close focusing capabilities - compared to other 35 primes, this can go real close and this is where creative opportunities comes into play including shallow DOF as yo can go more close to a object.

And of course 5 year warranty in UK and Europe.

Now i have it out of the way i feel like swapping and changing my lenses... No idea why, just fancy something a little different/special.

:rolleyes:!!!:D:D

Well I did it .... Moved from the D750 onto a Sony A7IIR and a 55mm 1.8. Think this will be a nice take anywhere package.

Let us know how you get on - I've changed systems numerous times when the shiny new toy comes out, although I am determined not to give in to gas this time around and stick with Nikon. I'll admit the A7 series definitely appeals :snaphappy:

Anyone here bought or contemplating the Tamron 35 F1.8 VC? The UK prices since launch has fallen a lot (I think they were overpriced anyway for UK at launch).
It is now £499.

The reviews (including the detailed lenstip one) so far has three things making me interested in this one although still not sure if I'd prefer this FL.

1. VC - Of course and I love VC or VR as it is useful in places where tripods and flashes are not allowed and you also need to stop down to get decent dof.
2. The centre sharpness wide open - seems better than Nikon 35 1.8 FX and the borders are more consistent
3. Close focusing capabilities - compared to other 35 primes, this can go real close and this is where creative opportunities comes into play including shallow DOF as yo can go more close to a object.

And of course 5 year warranty in UK and Europe.

Yes, tried one over the weekend and decided it's not worth the money. But depends on your needs!

In what way JJ? Thing that puts me off is that i could get the Sigma ART for less (grey) which from the review i read is a sharper lens with a faster aperture. Not really sure VC would benefit me at that FL but i think i do prefer the bokeh of the Tammy.

Curious to know as well jj. I thik you had (or still have) the Nikon 35 1.8ED

Let us know how you get on - I've changed systems numerous times when the shiny new toy comes out, although I am determined not to give in to gas this time around and stick with Nikon. I'll admit the A7 series definitely appeals :snaphappy:

Sure, I have used Sony prior with an A6000 crop. Controls are not the best vs a DSLR however I will see how I get on with this megapixel monster.
I hope I will not regret it because the D750 ticks nearly every box and I was sad to see it go.

Any suggestions??? :D

Our requirements are totally different m8, for convenience and the type of work I do it's more practical for me to shoot with Zooms. Primes are usually a bit better optically, but these days there's very little in it. And me not being one for super shallow DOF or fast AF (I prefer to shoot manual) it leaves me with a much wider choice of lenses to choose from.:D

The primes I do use from time to time though are all with manual aperture rings so they can be used on my old film cameras and also on my Fooj units with adapters :-
20mm F2.8D.
28mm F2.8D.
55mm F2.8 Micro Nikkor (Fully Manual Lens).
105mm F2.5 (Fully Manual Lens)
105mm F2.8D Micro Nikkor.
135mm F2D.

Everything else is Zooms for convenience, but as I said what works for me probably wouldn't be your choice.(y)

George.

So it's specifically AF and f1.2 lenses which are an issue.

The new manual focus Mitakon 85mm f1.2 looks quite nice... :D

Good luck focusing it ;) I had the mitakon 50 0.95, pig to focus even with an evf and MF aids.

In what way JJ? Thing that puts me off is that i could get the Sigma ART for less (grey) which from the review i read is a sharper lens with a faster aperture. Not really sure VC would benefit me at that FL but i think i do prefer the bokeh of the Tammy.

Didn't really feel the VC was beneficial and the bunch of test shots we took were really no better than the Nikon. The brokeh was nicer, but not by much tbh.

It's shorter but fatter than the Sigma, and you can feel the difference in weight from the Nikon.

For pixel peepers it may be better than the Nikon, but in the real world I don't think it has enough over the Nikon to warrant buying.

Horses for courses and all that!

HahaI must be the worst one around here for GAS.. having tried almost every system so far this year and keep coming back to the D750.. I am however finding that I'm using it more for dedicated togging rather that just taking with me, I had an A7ii and the two Zeiss Loxia Lenses (35/50) ordered on Friday but decided better and cancelled... going to keep the XT1 that I bought and stick a couple of cheap primes on it and keep the D750 with a 24-70 (and maybe a 15-30...) for when I'm doing more serious shooting!

I sold my XT1 to move to the D750 - having 1 system as a do it all is impossible. i have the D750 with 35mm f2, 50mm 1.4G , 85mm 1.4D, 24-120 f4, 80-200 f4 AIS. I'm presently hankering after the voigtlander manual focus lenses (20mm, 28mm & 40m, 58mm) and I'm also looking at buying a smaller take everywhere compact, probably an X100 or Coolpix A. The tough decisions of being a camera geek :runaway:

It's not December yet ;)

Only a couple of hours to go ;) We normally do it on the first weekend, but I`ve been working this weekend, and next, up at the NEC Bike show, so wife and daughter got it sorted (result :))

Only a couple of hours to go ;) We normally do it on the first weekend, but I`ve been working this weekend, and next, up at the NEC Bike show, so wife and daughter got it sorted (result :))
Not been to the bike show for a few years now, has it picked back up?

and I'm also looking at buying a smaller take everywhere compact, probably an X100 or Coolpix A. The tough decisions of being a camera geek :runaway:
I'm in the same boat and seriously contemplating the G7x.

Back