Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah, I see the halo too. It was bit underexposed, so bumped the exposure a bit. The lens vignettes wide open and the corners are bit dark. I processed this quickly in CNX2.
Will see how it gets processed in LR later.

@minnnt , how's your new monitor. I am tempted to buy one, but trying not to give in to my GAS.

Last edited:
I think you're over thinking it mate. Hiring stuff etc. The D750 and 85 will be perfect.

I know, but not having done this before at this scale is making me bit tense. I am also being told that the shots will go into our worldwide locations in print, video and digital medium.
Keeping only one lens will be more convenient and the 85 is perfect for this kind of shots.

You see, now you're nervous about doing it instead of feeling 100% confident. Have you the opportunity to have a practice in the location with a few people? Saves fannying around on the day.

New monitor is good mate, thankyou.

You see, now you're nervous about doing it instead of feeling 100% confident. Have you the opportunity to have a practice in the location with a few people? Saves fannying around on the day.

New monitor is good mate, thankyou.

Have done a session with some folks last week with the 24-85 at the longest focal length. It was fun and the pics came out nice, people loved them other than some artificial light problem which will not be an issue with speedlights during the actual shoot.

Anybody using a GPS-1A receiver? Have a weird problem in that the rear screen will not display Menu items or Display images with it connected - LiveView is fine though, as is the 'Info' display.

Removed the battery but not tried a Factory Reset yet (nor actually applied the latest Firmware update)

Last edited:
I know, but not having done this before at this scale is making me bit tense. I am also being told that the shots will go into our worldwide locations in print, video and digital medium.
Keeping only one lens will be more convenient and the 85 is perfect for this kind of shots.
Can understand you being nervous, I get like this when I get asked to do stuff like doing the London Marathon for a charity again this year, but maybe ask a willing volunteer from work to pose for you prior to the event so that you can practice with the lighting so on the day you know exactly what you're doing.

Well, I think I am slowly getting to grips with the 750 now, ergonomically it is different to my 700, although I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it !

A quick question for all you seasoned D750 shooters about the focusing if I may:
I cannot seem to get the facial recognition focusing to work. I have the matrix facial recognition turned on, although I realise that is for metering.
I always use back button focus, with single point, and AF-C. I don't do live view.
I had read that the camera will find the nearest eye and focus on it, but not for me it won't.
Is this even possible using the viewfinder, as there seems to be conflicting reports about.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I think I am slowly getting to grips with the 750 now, ergonomically it is different to my 700, although I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it !

A quick question for all you seasoned D750 shooters about the focusing if I may:
I cannot seem to get the facial recognition focusing to work. I have the matrix facial recognition turned on, although I realise that is for metering.
I always use back button focus, with single point, and AF-C. I don't do live view.
I had read that the camera will find the nearest eye and focus on it, but not for me it won't.
Is this even possible using the viewfinder, as there seems to be conflicting reports about.

Thanks in advance.
Never used it but I believe you need AF set to auto point and not single point or group etc.

Edit, scrap that. It appears that you can only use it in liveview. Seems there are numerous different AF options in LV.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-03%20at%2015.30.50_zpselbghcwy.png

Last edited:
That's what I am thinking too, and I never use live view tbh, even with the flippety flappity rear screen !
Would be a cool feature if it worked in the viewfinder though, leave the camera to track the eyes, whilst adjusting composition etc.
Never mind, I'll keep using my thumb to track by moving the focus point !

That's what I am thinking too, and I never use live view tbh, even with the flippety flappity rear screen !
Would be a cool feature if it worked in the viewfinder though, leave the camera to track the eyes, whilst adjusting composition etc.
Never mind, I'll keep using my thumb to track by moving the focus point !

Perhaps the next generation will have this intelligence. Having said that I am used to single point focus and move the focus point as needed. It is not intelligent, but precise as I control where the point goes :D

Like you I somehow can't think of using the LV even if there were occasions where it could have helped. My head seems to be wired to using OVF only. I remember a situation in Rome where I placed my D750 on a stand inside a church at waist height and I was trying to bend down and use the OVF. My wife saw me in that awkward position and asked me 'what's the point in buying a flip screen camera and not use it? :oops: :$'

Yes, I can see the flip screen and LV being useful for landscape and macro work, but not for portraits so much.

Yes, I can see the flip screen and LV being useful for landscape and macro work, but not for portraits so much.
It will be useful for portraits only when using MF lenses. I can't get the Samyang 135 F2 out of my head and if I buy one, LV will be really useful although Camera has to be on tripod to avoid any focus issue at shallow DOF.

I can manually focus the Samyang 85mm @ 1.4 with the viewfinder, and it's not too bad, even handheld.
It's a shame Katzeye don't exist anymore for a replacement 750 screen, although others might be available.
I have quite a few Ai-s lenses, which one day I might get a Df for.
Although I am pleased my 135 is AF !!

New toys collected this morning. Not had much of a chance to play though.

The Tamron is a beast, well built, fast focussing and quiet to boot. Hope to get out tomorrow and test its capabilities (and mine).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 23
New toys collected this morning. Not had much of a chance to play though.

The Tamron is a beast, well built, fast focussing and quiet to boot. Hope to get out tomorrow and test its capabilities (and mine).
Great stuff. Look forward to see some pics soon. I played with this lens attached to the D750 and even though it was heavy, I found it well balanced.

Perhaps the next generation will have this intelligence. Having said that I am used to single point focus and move the focus point as needed. It is not intelligent, but precise as I control where the point goes :D

Like you I somehow can't think of using the LV even if there were occasions where it could have helped. My head seems to be wired to using OVF only. I remember a situation in Rome where I placed my D750 on a stand inside a church at waist height and I was trying to bend down and use the OVF. My wife saw me in that awkward position and asked me 'what's the point in buying a flip screen camera and not use it? :oops: :$'
I use liveview a lot for landscape. I often like to keep the camera low to the ground and at 6'4" not having to bend down, or lie on the floor to look through the VF is a real bonus ;)

I guess I need to use it more to get the benefits of LV as well as the flippy screen.

If you're using LV then make sure you have plenty of spare batteries. It's a juice killer!
Yep, about 300 shots rather than 1000+ using OVF.
And AF is rubbish

IMO it's about time Nikon pulled their finger out with LV AF, waaaaay behind current contrast detect AF systems, pretty poor IMO. That being said it works for landscapes.

Was there a moon, Tim? I would have expected it to be a little more visable tbh.

300 shots per battery is good going. I managed 86 once. :D

No moon to be seen, maybe it hadn't risen? This wasn't in the darkest possible place and maybe I haven't mastered night time exposure yet.

Good choice Tim and nice pics. Awesome lens, I have one.

Yep, about 300 shots rather than 1000+ using OVF.

IMO it's about time Nikon pulled their finger out with LV AF, waaaaay behind current contrast detect AF systems, pretty poor IMO. That being said it works for landscapes.

Had a quick play with LV, and although I can see the benefit of a magnified view for critical focus for landscapes/still life etc, I can't see myself using it extensively !!

Had a quick play with LV, and although I can see the benefit of a magnified view for critical focus for landscapes/still life etc, I can't see myself using it extensively !!
I only ever use it for tripod work (and not all the time), hand held it's unnatural not to hold the camera to me eye, and less stable of course ;)

I'm not a fan of live view (I can't get anything in focus using it for manual focus:oops: :$), but the flippy screen makes it great for low level shooting.:)

No doubt when the D760 is released it'll have a flippy, touchy, screen. That will be useful for moving the focus point around. But I shall resist the temptation....

Back