Nikon D750 & D780

I know that the 14-24 is a razor sharp lens, but it's the lack of (affordable) filters which I think would put me off.
I'm thinking of getting into landscapes, so want a decent lens for that.
I have gone down the primes route for the rest of my kit, but for landscapes, was thinking flexibility of a zoom.
(If it was a prime I would probably go for the Zeiss 21mm)
I will try the 16-35 off my friend, but wouldn't mind also trying the 18-35 also.
Decisions, decisions.

Hmmmm..... I managed to get over the Zeiss GAS a while ago now, fully recovered! At the wide end, I do like the versatility a zoom offers (primes for everything else), I don't use anything wider than 24mm for people, so for landscape, zooms are more flexible. My problem is that I keep getting the landscape urge but it doesn't seem to fulfill me as people photography does.

I really liked the Tamron 15-30 2.8. It is sharp, has VC and covers a range I need for travelling. It is bit heavy, but feels really solid mounted on the D750. Shame it does not take filters although I have taken only 3 shots with filters so far :p

having owned the 14-24 and found it a bit heavy, I dread to think what that Tammy feels like to carry on a walk! OK if you drive up somewhere to take a few photos though :p

Thanks guys. Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get hold of a raw high ISO file?
I'll see if I still have any, but in the meantime here's a shot at 12800 ISO in pretty dark conditions as you can tell still needing 12800 ISO when aperture was f2.8 and 1/40 shutter.

DSC_3959 2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

I tried them both at the Tamron event and they are pretty good to hold and shoot. The min focussing distance is a huge advantage over competition. And VC is always an advantage.

Thanks thats good to hear, big decision needed from me over the next few weeks over whether I even keep involved in my photography.

Thanks thats good to hear, big decision needed from me over the next few weeks over whether I even keep involved in my photography.

Should have done that before buying ANOTHER D750. ;)

TBH I've been feeling like that just lately. Really lacking any enthusiasm and nothing seems to be inspiring me. Not even sure about the rallying next weekend now. It's a long way to drive if I'm in a cba mood to shoot it properly.

Meh.

TBH I've been feeling like that just lately. Really lacking any enthusiasm and nothing seems to be inspiring me. Not even sure about the rallying next weekend now. It's a long way to drive if I'm in a cba mood to shoot it properly.

Meh.

He'll sell it all and be back in a week.

I tend to give it a break when I cba... much better after that. Shouldn't become a chore.

I think you're right mate.

Yeah give it a break, I'll look after your kit for you...;)

Saying this I've been using my camera more and more, I thought I'd use it less with it being bigger/heavier etc, but it isn't so. Maybe the reason is I now use all primes, when I had my 7D I had heavy zooms so that may explain it. My bag with D750, 14/35/50/85 isn't exactly back breaking. I think the reason I stopped using the 7D was because the results weren't good enough from the amount invested.

Last edited:

Meh.

It's still Winter.... it'll pass!

Meh.
I go through this regularly, with the added problem of seeing no merit in my photos. However, it does pass and something gets your mojo going again (y)

Gents. Im not a Nikon shooter and after foolishly getting rid of my 5D3 I'm looking for a camera for landscape and night photography, star trails Milky Way etc. I know all about the D750s dynamic range at low ISO and how much shadow detail you can recover but what is it like at high ISO up to say 6400. Does it have the same clean shadows or do they suffer with the high ISO. I've looked on line but can't seem to find any examples of high ISO dynamic range. Cheers

Gary if you come up this way (Swansea), you're welcome to try mine out.

Another cracking shot Ani, I'm really loving these photos from your trip, hope you've got lots more!
Thanks Gregg. I have many more and I will keep posting.
Nice shot and cracking job stitching it together to say there's moving subjects. What software did you use and how many frames?
This is the first time I did a pano like this. I used four shots handheld and used the LR panorama option. it uses deghosting and does a brilliant job.

Gary if you come up this way (Swansea), you're welcome to try mine out.

That's a generous offer Simon. I've had going dual brand in mind for a little while now but always held back because I've been used to having two canon bodies for back up. Back to work in a couple of days but perhaps I can get in touch next time I'm off.

Here's one of Zara I shot with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC.This lens is really impressive.

Zara
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr
wOOOw this capture is stunning, the clarity and quality are awesome. You could nearly touch Zara's face, fantastic actually. The focus on her eye is brilliant!

G U L P

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
Even more impressive is your next shot on Flickr.... according to the exif - taken with a D530

nikon_D530.jpg
Thats because any shot I process with CNX2, I use A converter called NEF4NX2 that uses a D5300 template to process D750 files within CNX2. I usually change the exif, but forgot in this case.

wOOOw this capture is stunning, the clarity and quality are awesome. You could nearly touch Zara's face, fantastic actually. The focus on her eye is brilliant!

G U L P

Regards;
Peter
Thanks Peter.

There is another thread on here today about photographing of the eye. If you crop closer and tidy some of the makeup in PP then it would be a (more) cracking image imo
I have a crop like that, will post tomorrow.

I didn't read the whole thread, only the last page or two, is it about Nikon D750 or Tamron lenses?

I didn't read the whole thread, only the last page or two, is it about Nikon D750 or Tamron lenses?

Everything, and anything related to the D750 :D

Meh.
I'm another one who struggles at times to even pick up the camera bag. Work, winter illness, lack of excitement that even a new lens (Sigma 150-600..) hasn't beaten..
As Barry says, it'll pass, but meanwhile it feels slightly wrong having all this gear just sitting there.

Camera for me isn't something that I have to use every day - but it's nice to have when I want it.

People put too much pressure on themselves to go and shoot!

Also screen protectors.
I need one :p
I'm another one who struggles at times to even pick up the camera bag. Work, winter illness, lack of excitement that even a new lens (Sigma 150-600..) hasn't beaten..
As Barry says, it'll pass, but meanwhile it feels slightly wrong having all this gear just sitting there.
I guess this is a common issue with most of us who are enthusiasts. I mostly shoot when I am on vacation. Live in London and still don't make the most out of shooting this wonderful city.

Back