Nikon D750 & D780

I`m pretty sure everyone has Meh times of losing their mojo. I know I have, many a time. The doom n gloom weather certainly isn't helping, and lack of snow when it has been bloody cold. Grey skies and flat light is uninspiring to say the least. I`m biding my time, and trying to figure out what to take on holiday in April.

Have any of you chaps been to the Lisbon coast of Portugal? I`ve never been and even with the help of googles little golden man, I`m still lost as to what lenses I should pack.

I need one :p

I guess this is a common issue with most of us who are enthusiasts. I mostly shoot when I am on vacation. Live in London and still don't make the most out of shooting this wonderful city.
I'd love to live in a City with all those great opportunities, especially one as big as London, but I guess it's different when it's 'the norm'. It's like me living in the peak district and often struggling to find the enthusiasm to get out into some of the best scenery in the UK :oops: :$

So back to discussing the D750. Here's something you guys know anyway, but will post it anyway as I can't fault the D750 other than the fact that iPhone is better with auto white balance.

The shot below was my my first one with model Anna at the trade show. it was a continuous light and I misjudged the light and the frame came underexposed and I almost deleted it while going through the files on PC.
Then the amazing DR and raw latitude of the D750 came really handy and resulted in a decent image.

So, this post is about D750, without the official forum screen protector... and these were taken with the Tamron 70-200 vc. Covered them all :D

As shot SOOC

DSC_3341
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

Processed and cropped

DSC_3341A

I'd love to live in a City with all those great opportunities, especially one as big as London, but I guess it's different when it's 'the norm'. It's like me living in the peak district and often struggling to find the enthusiasm to get out into some of the best scenery in the UK :oops: :$
And I'd love to live where you are living. :)

So back to discussing the D750. Here's something you guys know anyway, but will post it anyway as I can't fault the D750 other than the fact that iPhone is better with auto white balance.

The shot below was my my first one with model Anna at the trade show. it was a continuous light and I misjudged the light and the frame came underexposed and I almost deleted it while going through the files on PC.
Then the amazing DR and raw latitude of the D750 came really handy and resulted in a decent image.

So, this post is about D750, without the official forum screen protector... and these were taken with the Tamron 70-200 vc. Covered them all :D

As shot SOOC

DSC_3341

Processed and cropped

DSC_3341A
You're doing something wrong if your iphone Auto WB is doing a better job than the D750 ;) My iphone 6 is shocking under artificial light, whereas my D750 does a pretty decent job the majority of the time.

I'd always disregarded the 24-85 but your shots are proving me wrong!!! Really need to decide what I want to do, 58mm has gone back (seemed a poor copy) and torn between picking up some combo of primes or just the good ol' Tamron 24-70... but I have to say I think a cheap 24-85 if I can find one might be a good travel solution!!
Interesting you got rid of the 58....what were your thoughts?

The grass is always greener mate ;) I`d love to live where I have easy access to great landscapes, but hey ho.

The grass is always greener mate ;) I`d love to live where I have easy access to great landscapes, but hey ho.
Yep, that was what I was hinting at :p

The detail, especially in the iris is incredible. Maybe I should use my 70-200mm more for portraits. In fact, maybe I should just actually start doing portraits :LOL:

You should. The Nikon 70-200 VR II is fantastic with portraits.

For detail and closeup, I think the 105 VR will be better.

You're doing something wrong if your iphone Auto WB is doing a better job than the D750 ;) My iphone 6 is shocking under artificial light, whereas my D750 does a pretty decent job the majority of the time.
It is difficult for me to do something wrong as the Camera is set to Auto, but I found in many cases iPhone comes close to what it looks like and in many cases the D750 gets it bang on.

I need one :p

I guess this is a common issue with most of us who are enthusiasts. I mostly shoot when I am on vacation. Live in London and still don't make the most out of shooting this wonderful city.

I'm similar. Life and family generally get in the way ,then lack of enthusiasm or ideas. I find myself shooting most of my yearly pics in the 3 weeks I go on holiday to China each year as it's such an interesting and varied place. I'm looking forward to using the d750 this year as have been shooting the d800 the past few trips.

Getting out can be the hardest bit and it's easier to plan a longer trip and stick to it rather than getting out locally. I have a good deer park within 30 mins of me that I should visit more often but it's the enthusiasm to get there at times as other things get in the way. It's easy to cancel a local trip out compared to longer trip out. I find it's easier to dedicate to 3-4 days to a trip to the lakes or wales or a weekend in the peaks than it is to go out locally for a day.

Like others have said the grass is always greener and sometimes it's what is local you consider a boring subject so look further away.

Last edited:
Getting out can be the hardest bit and it's easier to plan a longer trip and stick to it rather than getting out locally. I have a good deer park within 30 mins of me that I should visit more often but it's the enthusiasm to get there at times as other things get in the way. It's easy to cancel a local trip out compared to longer trip out. I find it's easier to dedicate to 3-4 days to a trip to the lakes or wales or a weekend in the peaks than it is to go out locally for a day.

Like others have said the grass is always greener and sometimes it's what is local you consider a boring subject so look further away.

I totally agree Rob.
Until I found Sevenoaks wildlife reserve, for me it was same o same o, London or local. Now and then I`ll venture down to the coast, but still find it hard to get enthusiasm up for it sometimes. We should have some good fortune with that strange orange ball in the sky tomorrow, so I`ll be back down there to see what I can find ;)

It is difficult for me to do something wrong as the Camera is set to Auto, but I found in many cases iPhone comes close to what it looks like and in many cases the D750 gets it bang on.
Yes, it was tongue in cheek :p

I take a lot of photos within a mile of home, and hardly any further than 20 miles away. It's all about mindset, I think.

Who needs a stunning mountain sunset when you can photograph an almost empty beach on a grey day? :D

_7508625.jpg

Should have done that before buying ANOTHER D750. ;)

TBH I've been feeling like that just lately. Really lacking any enthusiasm and nothing seems to be inspiring me. Not even sure about the rallying next weekend now. It's a long way to drive if I'm in a cba mood to shoot it properly.

Meh.

Probably! Even if I sold up its not like I'd lose much cash, just not inspired at all, I suspect the crap weather has something to do with it and longer hours at work.

He'll sell it all and be back in a week.

I tend to give it a break when I cba... much better after that. Shouldn't become a chore.

Probably right, struggling for motivation, I've been half thinking that a course might give me more reason to shoot.

Yeah give it a break, I'll look after your kit for you...;)

Saying this I've been using my camera more and more, I thought I'd use it less with it being bigger/heavier etc, but it isn't so. Maybe the reason is I now use all primes, when I had my 7D I had heavy zooms so that may explain it. My bag with D750, 14/35/50/85 isn't exactly back breaking. I think the reason I stopped using the 7D was because the results weren't good enough from the amount invested.

Its not so much a weight issue for me but one of space, finding it hard to have the camera in my bag all the time,

Interesting you got rid of the 58....what were your thoughts?

I suspect my copy was one of the poorer ones that seems to float around, bokeh was awesome but it just wasn't all that sharp which seems to fly in the face of many of the reviews, ultimately even at the import price I wasn't willing to accept that at the cost.

I take a lot of photos within a mile of home, and hardly any further than 20 miles away. It's all about mindset, I think.

Who needs a stunning mountain sunset when you can photograph an almost empty beach on a grey day? :D

_7508625.jpg
It is about the mindset but i do find it's about time management too. I do like to shoot local but it's so easy to not go out if other things come up that need doing. It's easier to work around a planned 2-4 day trip than spend the same time locally.

That's a generous offer Simon. I've had going dual brand in mind for a little while now but always held back because I've been used to having two canon bodies for back up. Back to work in a couple of days but perhaps I can get in touch next time I'm off.

Drop me a PM when you're ready. I'm here most days, so if your working shifts etc... it's not a problem. I have some operations on the 23rd Feb so if you could call up before them it would be easier on my part.

You should. The Nikon 70-200 VR II is fantastic with portraits.

For detail and closeup, I think the 105 VR will be better.
TBH I'd absolutely love to do portraits, but I neither have the time nor the opportunity. I've done 3 half day freebie courses courtesy of Harrisons (two NIkon and one Olympus) and whilst it was only a demo moving the light source around etc and taking a snap shot I thoroughly enjoyed them. Unfortunately my wife won't be a 'victim' and then I don't have the time or funds to hire a studio and model ;)

Just been given a new project to suss out. Black lab on a black background.
Should keep me busy for a while

It is about the mindset but i do find it's about time management too. I do like to shoot local but it's so easy to not go out if other things come up that need doing. It's easier to work around a planned 2-4 day trip than spend the same time locally.
I can't imagine planning to take photos somewhere for four days! But then my lifestyle doesn't allow for pre-planning because something work related always crops up when I plan something for a specific date. Like today - had somewhere in mind to go, then a load of work turned up yesterday. And people reckon that the self employed can take any days they like off.:rolleyes:

That's probably why I pop out with a camera whenever I have a spare hour - which usually turns into two, or three, or... :D

But I guess a lot also depends on what it is you like taking photographs of.:)

Last edited:
Just been given a new project to suss out. Black lab on a black background.
Should keep me busy for a while

Sounds pretty easy if you have the room. Gridded softbox to kill the spill and then a lower powered kicker to add some separation from the rear.

Assuming you're using lights that is.

There was a thread about this a few days ago. Try a quick search, you may find a few pointers.

Sounds pretty easy if you have the room. Gridded softbox to kill the spill and then a lower powered kicker to add some separation from the rear.

There was a thread about this a few days ago. Try a quick search, you may find a few pointers.
Cheers mate

Stupid phone posted before i was finished.

I was going to try it without the backdrop as per a video i have been pointed to.
When we move we will have a double garage so may set something up in there.

Was hoping to get out side and try a few thing but as normal good old weather has decided against that haha

The weather is crapola innit.

Some nice greenery in good light would contrast really really well.

If you frequent the D800 thread, there is a couple of studio type shots of a Black Lab on the last page.

Here's one of Zara I shot with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC.This lens is really impressive.

Zara

"Cracking" shot Anirban, really like the framing, the background colour really works well complementing the models lippy, and the detail is amazing.(y)

George.

Blue sky wtf ... I`m off out to take some pix :D

I can't imagine planning to take photos somewhere for four days!
I can imagine it, but that's all I can do ;) 4 days off work is something that's just not going to happen barring my one holiday a year which is certainly not a photography holiday,... so I've been told :LOL:

Back