Nikon D750 & D780

Personally I just don't like these smaller sized DSLR's ….. cannot really see the point as they will never be pocket sized

but I can moan about most things ………….. an hour with my D300 this afternoon will confirm that I am correct

IN that smaller body, with my smaller hands, you would think I would jumping at it wouldn't you? Except, I still have a D300 and a D70s and both feel very odd and unbalanced in my hands now compared to the 700's and the 300 is only marginally smaller. Wi-fi might be useful, defo dual card slots, not bothered about video or a moving screen but realise whatever I upgrade to eventually is likely to have them. As others have said though, I don't see this as a genuine 700 upgrade, its a D600 upgrade with a new name on paper. Not planning on upgrading this side of christmas anyway, so no doubt will get a chance to have a play with one before making a final decision, but can't help but feel disappointed. Call me a gear snob [and the fact I am still using D700's says am probably not generally], but can't help feel that that left hand ode dial looks like consumer body. ;)

I'm coming at it the other way. I love this camera. I like that its smaller then the 'pro' bodies are. And I think a lot of the size thing is what you are used to. Having shot a couple of all fuji weddings this year I don't think of small cameras as an issue. But I do like not carrying so much weight around. If I was planning to upgrade this year (or next) I would be having two, the AF was the one issue that put me off the d600/d610. I don't really mind what they call it either. As long as its not 'Jake'. Althpough I think the name thing has lead to much of the (perceived) disappointment

IN that smaller body, with my smaller hands, you would think I would jumping at it wouldn't you? Except, I still have a D300 and a D70s and both feel very odd and unbalanced in my hands now compared to the 700's and the 300 is only marginally smaller. Wi-fi might be useful, defo dual card slots, not bothered about video or a moving screen but realise whatever I upgrade to eventually is likely to have them. As others have said though, I don't see this as a genuine 700 upgrade, its a D600 upgrade with a new name on paper. Not planning on upgrading this side of christmas anyway, so no doubt will get a chance to have a play with one before making a final decision, but can't help but feel disappointed. Call me a gear snob [and the fact I am still using D700's says am probably not generally], but can't help feel that that left hand ode dial looks like consumer body. ;)

Exactly my thoughts... Spec wise its very good, and I probably would use video a bit as it saves me putting camera down and using phone/camcorder. SD is nice as plugs straight into MacBook but wifi could be useful.

I like a big camera, especially with 2.8 glass, I find its a better balance. Had Nikon labelled this a D620 I would not have an issue as I would see it for what it is - a D610 upgrade.

I'm coming at it the other way. I love this camera. I like that its smaller then the 'pro' bodies are. And I think a lot of the size thing is what you are used to. Having shot a couple of all fuji weddings this year I don't think of small cameras as an issue. But I do like not carrying so much weight around. If I was planning to upgrade this year (or next) I would be having two, the AF was the one issue that put me off the d600/d610. I don't really mind what they call it either. As long as its not 'Jake'. Althpough I think the name thing has lead to much of the (perceived) disappointment

I think name thing is pure PR, to cover the D6xx issues ;)

However, like I say, despite misgivings, I am not discounting it out of hand immediately, I am the one that has started doing a lot more of a wedding day on primes simply to reduce weight fatigue so reduced weight is a good thing. I will need to have a good long play with one before jumping in though...and paint over that bloody mode dial :LOL:

I think it'll be an excellent second body for the likes of wedding or sports photographers, but if you're only going to own one, I wouldn't personally go for this. If smaller is your thing, there are many better options out there for say, street photographers, and if you're into landscape then a D800 is where you should look instead. I'd take a used D800 over this tbh. I like an FX body to feel like an FX body.

Personally I just don't like these smaller sized DSLR's ….. cannot really see the point as they will never be pocket sized

If you'd cut your teeth using a small SLR from the 70s/80s you might appreciate a smaller form factor better. So long as a camera has all the functions required, smaller is better IMO.

Looks like another decent FX camera from Nikon to me, aimed at the advanced enthusiast though I'd say rather than the pro's (I was expecting a pro body). I'd be interested to see if this qualifies for NPS in the UK.

Yv is spot on that this looks like a decent camera for weddings, but maybe not for those of us with big hands. I'm finding The reduced weight of a D810 a great thing compared to the D3's, but when you're shooting for 8-10 hours a day regularly how comfortably the camera fits in your hand comes into play too (and I don't like grips).

Last edited:
If you'd cut your teeth using a small SLR from the 70s/80s you might appreciate a smaller form factor better. So long as a camera has all the functions required, smaller is better IMO.

They didn't have near as many options back then. But they also had monster cameras too ... that's like saying if you cut your teeth on large format in the 30's you'd know bigger is better ;)

I didn't have an input with the rumors but...

This is rediculous, as always, from Nikon.

This is not a new line - it is a D620. It has the af that the D610 should have had ANYWAY, the wifi that it should have ANYWAY, the screen it should have ANYWAY, the 1080/60 it should have ANYWAY, the magnesium shell it should have had ANYWAY and the upgrade it has (which let's be honest - this is what it is) includes extended ISO.

Just another confirmation to me that Nikon and innovation are two words that just don't mix. All they ever do is take bits of this, take bits of that and put them together.

Oh, and as always, priced accordingly :rolleyes:

This is not a new line - it is a D620. It has the af that the D610 should have had ANYWAY, the wifi that it should have ANYWAY, the screen it should have ANYWAY, the 1080/60 it should have ANYWAY, the magnesium shell it should have had ANYWAY and the upgrade it has (which let's be honest - this is what it is) includes extended ISO.

Just another confirmation to me that Nikon and innovation are two words that just don't mix. All they ever do is take bits of this, take bits of that and put them together.

maybe you'd have been prepared to pay for all those bits in the d610 as well.

BTW its not a d620. It clearly says on the front D750. That you are disappointed with the name is not Nikon's fault

They didn't have near as many options back then. But they also had monster cameras too ... that's like saying if you cut your teeth on large format in the 30's you'd know bigger is better ;)
Hmm. Let's compare an apple with a pumpkin while we're at it... :D

I get what your saying Phil and Nikon/Canon aren't innovating as fast as they should be compared to Fuji etc, but a £2k camera with the AF system and image processor from the flagship £5k pro body is pretty awesome.

Sigma have a new camera?? :p

The new 20mm Nikon would be a good combo with this I guess, if lightweight and tidy is what you're after. WOuldn't be a bad option to have swinging out of you as a back up for group shots. But ... again, you can do this with the D600

I don't get that, why does a mode dial make it an enthusiasts camera? The 5dIII has one and no-one seems to think thats an issue?

I quite liked the U1 and U2 on the mode dial of the D610, but any obvious physical feature that features on entry level cameras but not pro bodies is bound to associated in this way. I've always wondered the same about the 5d's.

Last edited:
I don't get that, why does a mode dial make it an enthusiasts camera? The 5dIII has one and no-one seems to think thats an issue?

WHAT?!?! You HEATHEN!! Canon?!? That's why we are all Nikon users :LOL:

Seriously though, no, the mode dial isn't really that much of an issue, it is a certain amount of snobbery, combined with wanting some familiarity, but you can see why there is an association.

WHAT?!?! You HEATHEN!! Canon?!? That's why we are all Nikon users :LOL:

Seriously though, no, the mode dial isn't really that much of an issue, it is a certain amount of snobbery, combined with wanting some familiarity, but you can see why there is an association.

I quite liked the U1 and U2 on the mode dial of the D610, but any obvious physical feature that features on entry level cameras but not pro bodies is bound to associated in this way. I've always wondered the same about the 5d's.

I get the association. I'd just never heard it as an issue with the 5DIII, so I just wondered

I was eagerly awaiting this one. The lack of a dedicated AF-On button for me is a killer. Small is fine if it feels nice in the hand.

From Nikon's website, won't be eligible for Nps then I wouldn't think.

"Forming a new line of Nikon FX-format models, the D750 responds to the desire of active photo hobbyists to be ever more creative and feeds their great desire to prove themselves."

http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0912_dslr_01.htm

Seems a bit daft using that phrase to me, interesting to see the new materials being used in the construction.

From Nikon's website, won't be eligible for Nps then I wouldn't think.

"Forming a new line of Nikon FX-format models, the D750 responds to the desire of active photo hobbyists to be ever more creative and feeds their great desire to prove themselves."

http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0912_dslr_01.htm

Seems a bit daft using that phrase to me, interesting to see the new materials being used in the construction.

In all seriousness how many serious enthusiasts will spend this much on a camera? Many people buying this will be doing some form of paid work so needs to be nps?

In all seriousness how many serious enthusiasts will spend this much on a camera? Many people buying this will be doing some form of paid work so needs to be nps?

The D600/610 isn't, I hope the D750 will be, but I doubt it if they are describing it as a hobbyists camera. The reason I found the comment strange is that a hobbyist would buy a camera labelled as 'pro', but not necessarily the other way round.

More than you might think. I spend a similar amount on my D700 when it was new, and there are a fair number of D800 and 5D Mk2 and 3 owners on here who don't use them for paid work.

I'm with you on this one Hugh. When I switched over to the D600, I had a few concerns but the mode dial wasn't one of them. To be honest, I actually prefer the D600's layout because I always found the placement of the iso button on the top of the camera plain awkward. Never touch WB or QUAL so not run into any issues there. I suppose flicking between M, S, A etc might be a bigger concern but I've not found it an issue personally.

Because it isn't a D4s without the vertical grip for under £2k.

There is a worldwide population of people who have never got over the fact that Nikon realised that having the D700 so close in spec to the D3 was a marketing mistake,hurt D3 sales and won't repeat it.

So what happens when all these D700 owners want to upgrade... there is still a good trade in used d700 cameras. Am sure there are others in the same boat who (while I am looking at canon don't think I will move) will probably just make do with another d700 or maybe a d3, possibly a used d800, as imo there is no point in shelling out close to £2k for something that doesn't suit.

So what happens when all these D700 owners want to upgrade... there is still a good trade in used d700 cameras. Am sure there are others in the same boat who (while I am looking at canon don't think I will move) will probably just make do with another d700 or maybe a d3, possibly a used d800, as imo there is no point in shelling out close to £2k for something that doesn't suit.

you buy a d750 and stop moaning quite so much about it ;)

Because of the Scene Mode. You turn it on and select Landscape' 'portrait' 'fireworks' etc etc and press the shutter and get a result without thinking. You don't need any of that - that's beginner level and is a feature on all the basic models and intermediate models.

Yes you can also opt for A, S, P or M but that all it needs IM0.

That said apart from the 1/4000 shutter speed it's got quite good specs in my opinion. This is going to be a great camera for weddings, gigs and the highlight spot metering will be very beneficial.

It is what it is a D750 pointless in people saying it's the camera the D610 should have been - the camera to temp enthusiasts over to the FF side.

I think there are a lot of positives about the camera, much more than there negatives.

Last edited:
Because of the Scene Mode. You turn it on and select Landscape' 'portrait' 'fireworks' etc etc and press the shutter and get a result without thinking. You don't need any of that - that's beginner level and is a feature on all the basic models and intermediate models.

Yes you can also opt for A, S, P or M but that all it needs IM0.

That said apart from the 1/4000 shutter speed it's got quite good specs in my opinion. I think it's pointless comparing to a D610. It is what it is a D750. This is going to be a great camera for weddings, gigs and the highlight spot metering will be very beneficial.

It is what it is a D750 pointless in people saying it's the camera the D610 should have been - the camera to temp enthusiasts over to the FF side.

I think there are a lot of positives about the camera, much more than there negatives.

I agree with the vast majority of that. But my point was I've never heard a complaint about the dial and scene modes on a 5D3, why is it an issue for Nikon users?

I thought it was a 1.5 for some reason...

Jim

The D7100 DX is a x 1.5 crop of the Nikon FX, (as you state) ….. the D7100 also has a digital crop of x 1.3 built into the software that you can use

Ok cool, understood! I got confused thinking of crop ratios from a 35mm - a 1.3 being bigger (ie, a Canon 1d for example).

Back