Nikon D750 & D780

A few quick edits of a few shots from a few days away. Glad to say that i haven't had to do much to these from sooc. The filter really helps although i wish i had a hard grad also. If i were shooting seascapes a lot then i would definitely invest in one.

1 and 2 are from the first morning and 3 is from the second. It was chucking it down this morning so didn't get to go out.

Anderby Creek
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Anderby Creek

Chapel Point
I see from your second pic that you used bulb. When working out exposure do you literally calculate it, i.e. get the exposure for say 30s according to the light meter and then work how many stops you need to close the aperture for a several minute exposure, or is there a bit of trial and error?

Last edited:
I see from your second pic that you used bulb. When working out exposure do you literally calculate it, i.e. get the exposure for say 30s according to the light meter and then work how many stops you need to close the aperture for a several minute exposure, or is there a bit of trial and error?

When using a tenstop, I calculate exposure without the filter, then use the long exposure app to calculate the shutter speed with a ten stopIMG_1469633274.676532.jpg

When using a tenstop, I calculate exposure without the filter, then use the long exposure app to calculate the shutter speed with a ten stopView attachment 70039
Looks a useful app, thanks. I usually calculate exposures using a 10 stop in my head by getting a 'normal' exposure and then working out how much extra time is needed for 10 stops of light reduction, but it rarely comes out perfect tbh. That app might help.

P.S. I've no idea why I mentioned adjusting aperture in my previous post, clearly having a 'moment' ;)

Looks a useful app, thanks. I usually calculate exposures using a 10 stop in my head by getting a 'normal' exposure and then working out how much extra time is needed for 10 stops of light reduction, but it rarely comes out perfect tbh. That app might help.

P.S. I've no idea why I mentioned adjusting aperture in my previous post, clearly having a 'moment' ;)

Lee have a simular app with the 6 and 10 stop at a flick of a button, it also has an alarm just in case your sat there holding the shutter release down (y)

Last edited:
A few quick edits of a few shots from a few days away. Glad to say that i haven't had to do much to these from sooc. The filter really helps although i wish i had a hard grad also. If i were shooting seascapes a lot then i would definitely invest in one.

1 and 2 are from the first morning and 3 is from the second. It was chucking it down this morning so didn't get to go out.

Anderby Creek

Anderby Creek

Chapel Point

All nice mate, but me going against the grain prefer the colours and light in the last one (y)

I have some more to work through. The light was pretty good. The phone pics came out better imo. :D

Haha sods law ... But when you`ve done your pp etc I bet they won`t :)

That's either a really distracting oof weed or you're pretty crap with the clone tool...

:D

Tree from a few doors down :)

has made me want to get up early when we got to perranporth in a couple of weeks, but not sure if my lens will do it any justice, plus no filters so it might be a wasted effort, but you never know unless you try and fail

Definitely do it mate. You've got to be in it to win it.

No filters is no problem. You can bracket and merge later in PP.

Perranporth is nice, some great beaches and cliffs. It would be a shame not to make the most of it.

Bracket never looked into it, merge photoshop i can cope with haha, guess i need some bed time reading then before we go lol

has made me want to get up early when we got to perranporth in a couple of weeks, but not sure if my lens will do it any justice, plus no filters so it might be a wasted effort, but you never know unless you try and fail

Perranporth beach runs roughly south to north, with the sunset out west it's not so good for sunrises. Great for sunsets though :)

Bracket never looked into it, merge photoshop i can cope with haha, guess i need some bed time reading then before we go lol
You can merge bracketed shots in lightroom too. Obviously if you're going to bracket make sure you've got a sturdy tripod ;)

Didn't know it did, I tend to use about 10% of what the D750 is capable of!
Oh, I thought you were kidding ;)

Yes there is a bracket button, it's next to the flash button :)

:D

Seriously turn it on, set the mode, change settings job jobbed :p
Or maybe try this. Press the bracket button, choose 3 bracket exposure (or 5 if you like), set it to +/- 2ev (or whatever EV you choose), set it to continuous shooting and hold the remote shutter button down to fire off 3 (or 5) shots in quick succession to minimise the risk of the scene (including light) changing between shots :p

Or maybe try this. Press the bracket button, choose 3 bracket exposure (or 5 if you like), set it to +/- 2ev (or whatever EV you choose), set it to continuous shooting and hold the remote shutter button down to fire off 3 (or 5) shots in quick succession to minimise the risk of the scene (including light) changing between shots :p

Oh I don't doubt that it works and will work well. Just isn't something I'll use.

Camera's been with Nikon for a week now and still showing "awaiting repair" so contacted them to find out what's happening. Got a reply saying it's not been looked at yet but "rest assured it's marked as urgent" :eek:

Back