Nikon D750 & D780

As this is the busiest Nikon thread, so thought I would ask on here.

I'm considering a wide angle prime for the D810 and looking at some reviews, the Nikon 24mm 1.8G is coming out very well with the scores, anyone using this lens? ...Also, the 20mm & 28mm 1.8G lenses. I would prefer to use G lenses rather than the Sigma ART's, for the weight benefits. But if anyone has experience with the G lenses and ART's I won't completely rule them out.

As this is the busiest Nikon thread, so thought I would ask on here.

I'm considering a wide angle prime for the D810 and looking at some reviews, the Nikon 24mm 1.8G is coming out very well with the scores, anyone using this lens? ...Also, the 20mm & 28mm 1.8G lenses. I would prefer to use G lenses rather than the Sigma ART's, for the weight benefits. But if anyone has experience with the G lenses and ART's I won't completely rule them out.

What will you be shooting? I love my 20mm art. All my recent wide is shot on it, and can produce nice bokeh too.

I have a very similar shot somewhere!

I can imagine there are hundreds out there mate. I have a bit of a love, hate thing with Dungeness ;)
But this trip I really wanted to have a go at some astro. Poxy weather put a stop to that ...

Last edited:
One from my annual visit to Dungeness ...

End of the Line by Paulie-W, on Flickr

That's very nice Paul, really like the impact the high contrast gives and the sky.(y)

"Wish I'd known you were going to those parts we could have met up. When I'm in the UK I only live a short distance from there at "Stone" (Appledore)".

George.

Sunbathing.:)

v1bqNkrbUk9AgsBYUGM7YKLfKWCICgFgHClWRqRXGTlp1j-RDZf0qWjUHu5cSEOmy84kRILjEOVWA5YA-GxV-UyrR13TKgNkiwFutJQwryKrwHnNtO8oJxZbza4flW9XIqS9RHDPKlc9YsHlrPqnVbzksrKQS0rsB2DjHfdE2bsu6u8-CGsHZKDSD22znsEZkRaMrxkv7sg6wB8qXgC1y36ZkizhSmrzyEeYsloE4Po9ler16vZGyGk0DXs4ZYf69qUbA9WYWJnMZs4_0kpI49y4lWf58d5wSN385JErq1qPnllfu7bSQCIi3kQfgKhZOJO902ZsDHprS3asXJdZwRXoJ_LpiHMneq7Nur6sy06_rUoA0IepUpBnJ-PBzsMR0n412SNPc99T1yQ9a_8sVr9FszMNCTyvAHED6TFDYB7oGty7ZhOy_5236JLA1bxc-v9COG2ihzit3C90TtamIEcZ1QQRShmL3_porimTX1XRBgyy0pewcWkkxOwGqKFmSKQWV7uUaz3ynPKTOjaqIbIRl2HicFB1x5FyyJfpv-BVWzj9p3sTSAu1eOZjKyHs-33n6x5TxZLBc5oXqkmKUgJ1UdQ5Mb46=w900-h601-no

@Swanseajack i use the 20mm 1.8g so if you have any questions/want me to take some shots let me know.

What will you be shooting? I love my 20mm art. All my recent wide is shot on it, and can produce nice bokeh too.

Thanks for the replies gents, the lens will mostly be used for some sea/land scapes and a general lightweight option.

I had planned on the 20mm, but the 24mm got me interested after reading some reviews. Although I don't usually pay much interest and prefer user reviews, ideally of here, but the 24mm is the highest scoring on DXO for the D810 at 41 and 30mp sharpness.

Thanks for the replies gents, the lens will mostly be used for some sea/land scapes and a general lightweight option.

I had planned on the 20mm, but the 24mm got me interested after reading some reviews. Although I don't usually pay much interest and prefer user reviews, ideally of here, but the 24mm is the highest scoring on DXO for the D810 at 41 and 30mp sharpness.

I don't look into scores etc so no idea what that means, but I've been left wanting more sharpness wise on the 20mm. A fantastic light weight prime and ideal for astro too. For me 24mm wasn't a big enough gap form my 35mm.

I don't look into scores etc so no idea what that means, but I've been left wanting more sharpness wise on the 20mm. A fantastic light weight prime and ideal for astro too. For me 24mm wasn't a big enough gap form my 35mm.

I don't usually look at scores, I try to look on here, Flickr etc... for actual user use of the lens. But there doesn't seem much from long time users even on Flickr for the 24mm. I had planned on the 20mm but I have a little niggle in mind it will be too wide for me??? Then again , 20mm, 35mm & 50mm would be a nice set up for me.

That's very nice Paul, really like the impact the high contrast gives and the sky.(y)

"Wish I'd known you were going to those parts we could have met up. When I'm in the UK I only live a short distance from there at "Stone" (Appledore)".

George.

Thanks George :)
Ahh I know Appledore (well went once, after meeting a bunch of peeps when we stayed at the Romney Bay Hotel a few years ago), nice place, and only around the corner.

Hit me up next time you go, still got unfinished business there with astro stuff

Sounds like a plan guys (y)

I don't usually look at scores, I try to look on here, Flickr etc... for actual user use of the lens. But there doesn't seem much from long time users even on Flickr for the 24mm. I had planned on the 20mm but I have a little niggle in mind it will be too wide for me??? Then again , 20mm, 35mm & 50mm would be a nice set up for me.

A fast 20mm might give you issues for land/sea scapes, due to dof. The sigma maxes out at f16. I got it mainly for city stuff and the odd quirky shot that I tend to attempt. I still can`t do landscapes, no matter how much I try :banghead:

A fast 20mm might give you issues for land/sea scapes, due to dof. The sigma maxes out at f16. I got it mainly for city stuff and the odd quirky shot that I tend to attempt. I still can`t do landscapes, no matter how much I try :banghead:

Don't see this as being a huge problem, as I wouldn't stop down more than f16 anyway, due to diffraction possibly becoming an issue.

Ha, love the horse!

I agree about wedding togs as well, I really don't know how they do it, I would absolutely despise that job [emoji3]

Who would be potentially interested in a trip to Dungeness Friday evening/night, nights are drawing in so sunset is a bit easier than it has been. Moon doesn't rise oil midnight according to my calculations (i.e a random website)

@kingo15 @G.K.Jnr. @Paulie-W @anyoneelse...

Who would be potentially interested in a trip to Dungeness Friday evening/night, nights are drawing in so sunset is a bit easier than it has been. Moon doesn't rise oil midnight according to my calculations (i.e a random website)

@kingo15 @G.K.Jnr. @Paulie-W @anyoneelse...

I won`t be able to make it back for a while.

Back