Nikon D750 & D780

Ok so 70-200 is next.

Guessing the f4 version won't cut it so will probably be the Tamron or possibly the Nikon 2nd hand.

It depends as might need to buy new if it gets paid for my the gift.

I too think you'll get more from a decent 70-200 lens. If you can, get the VRII but tammy if you can't stretch to the Nikon. The body change is just GAS. Can help reinvigorate but only a short term fix.

I've been catching up with what you have been posting d750 v d500, I honestly think you have made the right decision keeping the d750. For me iso and isolation are the benefits of the d750, the d750 focusing isn't too shabby and FPS is ok as long as you use 12 bit lossless compressed RAWs.

A 70-200 would have been my recommendation. The f4 is pretty good, focus is fast enough but not as lightening as the f2.8. The f2.8 takes a 1.4 tc well taking it up to a useable 280mm f4. Is there going to be a time when you need f2.8? Shooting indoors or in overcast/dark light it's useful for keeping the shutter speed up. The decision over tamron or Nikon really depends on whether you plan to use a Teleconverter. The Nikon one takes one, the tamron doesn't.

Well here lies the question that I don't quite know the answer too. As this is a gift from the wife's Nans inheritance I have no idea what the budget is!

Going on what they have said the F4 Nikon and the Tamron will be in that budget.

I'm guessing the 2.8 lenses will give greater isolation but the F4 is lighter and smaller.

There is a thread ongoing about dew and lenses so I thought I'd share my setup here with you guys if you have any dew misting troubles. :)

Okay here's the best simple cheap setup.

Kendrix dew heater - measure the circumference of you largest lens and buy one for that length as it just wraps around and velcos on for smaller lenses.
8 x AA battery back and some velcro. Less than £20 for everything.

I had it running in the week doing a 2 1/2 hour star trail in the Brecons (clouds rolled in after this time), damp cold and liable to dew. Not a bit on the lens and it would have been able to go on all night as they draw so little power. I haven't shown the cable release and also used an extra piece of velcro to tidy up the cable ( stop it flapping in the wind).

DSC_9720 by Martin Coomer, on Flickr

DSC_9722 by Martin Coomer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well here lies the question that I don't quite know the answer too. As this is a gift from the wife's Nans inheritance I have no idea what the budget is!

Going on what they have said the F4 Nikon and the Tamron will be in that budget.

I'm guessing the 2.8 lenses will give greater isolation but the F4 is lighter and smaller.

I keep thinking about a 70-200 but they're heavy beasts

Yes heavy, but its what I need! Hopefully in next couple of weeks!

Over the years I've had 3x 70-200 f2.8 (1x vr1 and 2x vr2) and also a 70-200 f4. First up was a vr1 which was pretty good (excellent to be honest), I swapped this for a vr2 that I sold to help fund a long lens purchase, only to miss the 70-200 range so I bought the 70-200 f4 as that was cheaper. The f4 is very good for the price (actually sharper than the VR1 and vr2) but f4 was a little limiting in low light and AF slowed a little too. I ended up swapping back to the vr2 for f2.8, faster focusing in low light and the f4 aperture with a 1.4tc.

It's a difficult decision to make and only one you can make by thinking what you are going to use it for. If you don't need teleconverters but need f2.8 the tamron is a good buy. If f4 isn't an issue and f5.6 with Teleconverter is ok then the Nikon f4 is a cheaper and good buy. If money isn't an issue, you need f2.8 and f4 with a Teleconverter then the vr2 is good. The vr1 shouldn't be forgotten about either, if you can find a good condition second hand lens then it's excellent for £600-700 and just as good as the vr1.

Probably not surprising with the prices fairs charge for rides around my way.

Yes it's cheaper to take photos. Upto £2.50 a go so the average family of 4 it's a tenner every couple of minutes. Outrageous . It would have been packed on Friday Sat but I had plans for the Brecons :)

Don't settle for an f4 if you're shelling out for a 70-200. I'd look at a new Tamron or a used Nikon VR1.

Yes it's cheaper to take photos. Upto £2.50 a go so the average family of 4 it's a tenner every couple of minutes. Outrageous . It would have been packed on Friday Sat but I had plans for the Brecons :)
Whilst out with friends recently their little girl went on a coup,e of rides at one of our local events. As she's only 18 months one of the parents had to take her on, so that was £2.50 x2 even though they only took up the one horse between them on the merry-go-round.

I keep thinking about a 70-200 but they're heavy beasts
Have mine on a D7000 slung on a black rapid and can carry it all day, just keep one hand on when walking to stop it swinging and all is good, must admit I would not want it on a standard razor sharp nikon neck strap though..

Have mine on a D7000 slung on a black rapid and can carry it all day, just keep one hand on when walking to stop it swinging and all is good, must admit I would not want it on a standard razor sharp nikon neck strap though..
I have the BR but got sick of the camera swinging and spinning so bought the peak design slide and find this much better.

I bought the new 2017 breathe black rapid and it's a bit flawed in its design. The older sport versions were better IMO.

The cross shot however is a really nice light weight strap, but also trying the peak designs.

I had the Nikon 70-200 F4. Fantastic sharp lens, but wasn't using much. Bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and it is now one of my most used. The Tamron focusses faster and the 2.8 aperture is simply amazing for types of photograph I shoot. I will not go back to F4 even though it was lighter.

I'd recommend either the Tamron or Nikon VRII. These lenses are reliable and good investments on Nikon platform.

Hi guys just a quick question regarding sensor cleaning as I've never do it on a FX sensor.

Last time I cleaned my sensor was on my D7100 DX body so technology may have moved on since then, I used eclipse fluid and sensor swab type 2, before I troll thought hundreds of posts regarding cleaning I thought I'd ask here.

The reason I'm asking is I did a long exposure with the big stopper today 41 seconds at f/18, when I imported into light room I saw how dirty my sensor was so now I'm thinking should I clean it as I have 1/2 a bottle of clips fluid but no FX sensor swabs, this is why I'm asking.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi guys just a quick question regarding sensor cleaning as I've never do it on a FX sensor.

Last time I cleaned my sensor was on my D7100 DX body so technology may have moved on since then, I used eclipse fluid and sensor swab type 2, before I troll thought hundreds of posts regarding cleaning I thought I'd ask here.

The reason I'm asking is I did a long exposure with the big stopper today 41 seconds at f/18, when I imported into light room I saw how dirty my sensor was so now I'm thinking should I clean it as I have 1/2 a bottle of clips fluid but no FX sensor swabs, this is why I'm asking.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Get some FX swaps and use the Eclipse fluid. (y)

I haven't done anything for a couple of weeks been so flat out with work but processed a couple of more from the workshop. Really like the first one :)

30041562515_538f7c3ddd_b.jpg

29929660592_5f1abe9d58_b.jpg

I had the Nikon 70-200 F4. Fantastic sharp lens, but wasn't using much. Bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and it is now one of my most used. The Tamron focusses faster and the 2.8 aperture is simply amazing for types of photograph I shoot. I will not go back to F4 even though it was lighter.

I'd recommend either the Tamron or Nikon VRII. These lenses are reliable and good investments on Nikon platform.

I'm going to get the Tamron, probably UK one as that 5 year warranty is damn good!

Just picked up a d750, now need to learn to use it.

[emoji16][emoji16]

I haven't done anything for a couple of weeks been so flat out with work but processed a couple of more from the workshop. Really like the first one :)

30041562515_538f7c3ddd_b.jpg

29929660592_5f1abe9d58_b.jpg
Really like these.

Pointless, you'll only lose the box and sell it and buy it again 7 times. ;)

Yes Kev!! Welcome buddy. :)

I have no intention of moving house again any time soon!

:LOL:

On another note, I dare say there's a good chance of an inversion tomorrow @snerkler so I expect to see your shots later on tomorrow. ;)
Doubt I'll be there, getting ready to go away for a few days :)

I'm thinking of going micro four thirds for the increased depth of field. :exit:

Back