Nikon D750 & D780

Ditto along with the the mode dial. Looks like a D810 for me when it drops in price

I'm going to sell my D3 as I've found I use the D700 all the time as I've got used to it being lighter, so I was looking for a replacement. The D810 was on the list, but I was waiting for the D750 thinking it would be a replacement for the D700 with the D4s sensor. Disappointing it's not so I think I'll box up the D3 and trade it for a D810 instead.

I agree with the vast majority of that. But my point was I've never heard a complaint about the dial and scene modes on a 5D3, why is it an issue for Nikon users?

I was expecting a pro body somewhere between the D610 and D810 and my first impressions are that this is not it. Pro bodies don't need scene modes.

That said after the initial disappointment of the lack of, or choice of certain features. There are lots of positives about it and in balance I think it is a very good camera and good value for the price.

As for Canon / Canon users I have no idea I've always used Nikon (apart from other Medium / Large format cameras).

By the way I'm not saying it's an issue to have a dial / scene mode. All I'm saying is in no way is this a pro body because of it.

On reflection though, I don't think this matters and I think this is a very good camera. You can certainly make some money using it, As I said earlier there are lots of positives.

Last edited:
again, I whole heartedly agree. I'm just wondering why its an issue for one camp, not another.

I don't think the scene mode is an issue at all. It might be different to change modes but that's about it. WB and ISO are just in a different place, seems ok once you get used to it. It's the AF-On that's the big thing for me. Yes I can set the AE-L button to do that, but I have a suspicion it will be in just the wrong place to be comfortable, and I always use the AF-On button for focusing.

Exactly my thoughts... Spec wise its very good, and I probably would use video a bit as it saves me putting camera down and using phone/camcorder. SD is nice as plugs straight into MacBook but wifi could be useful.

I like a big camera, especially with 2.8 glass, I find its a better balance. Had Nikon labelled this a D620 I would not have an issue as I would see it for what it is - a D610 upgrade.
Got to agree with this

I get what your saying Phil and Nikon/Canon aren't innovating as fast as they should be compared to Fuji etc, but a £2k camera with the AF system and image processor from the flagship £5k pro body is pretty awesome.
But theres absolutly no way that AF will perform as quick and as accurate as the D4S, just like the AF in the D800 is the same as in the D4, it/they just dont work like they do in the pro D4/4S bodies

But theres absolutly no way that AF will perform as quick and as accurate as the D4S, just like the AF in the D800 is the same as in the D4, it/they just dont work like they do in the pro D4/4S bodies

while I agree that certainly was the case with the D700/D3 and D800/D4, the D810 and D4s seems to be a different story from what I've read from people that own both camera's. I don't have D4s to compare, the D810 AF is certainly better than the D3s, hopefully the D750 will follow suit and be closer to the D4s in performance.

Last edited:
while I agree that certainly was the case with the D700/D3 and D800/D4, the D810 and D4s seems to be a different story from what I've read from people that own both camera's. I don't have D4s to compare, the D810 AF is certainly better than the D3s, hopefully the D750 will follow suit and be closer to the D4s in performance.
Phil, my neighbour has a D810 and the AF in poor light shooting moving subjects (Rugby at ISO 3200 and above @ 1/800th) cant come close to his D3S or my D4, in good light its good but just not as snappy using pro glass like a 70-200mm and 400mm

Wow I reckon they called this new camera a Nikon D750 as the D700 is a legend in the Nikon lineup as it gives a good name after the Nikon D6xx horror story, Makes me laugh they say its a action camera and only shoots 1/4000 maximum, And as Gary said the body is smaller than the D610 which is a joke, that spec just put me straight off, A D800 is the bar minimum I like to you use as its a good size body you can get a grip off, The D750 smaller than the D610 using that on a lens like my 400mm its going to look like something from toy town on the back, I'am going to stick with my current plan which is to change my D3 to a D4 in the future...

Does it really matter what it looks like. How important is aesthetics ? I have a Fuji X-T1 it's small, I have big hands but the IQ is excellent. Is it not the final output that is the critical factor ?

Any new camera will take a while to get used to, just like when you jump in to a new car for the first time, you concentrate on the controls and not the road - as you should be !

Phil, my neighbour has a D810 and the AF in poor light shooting moving subjects (Rugby at ISO 3200 and above @ 1/800th) cant come close to his D3S or my D4, in good light its good but just not as snappy using pro glass like a 70-200mm and 400mm

Fair enough, I haven't used it in those type of circumstances so have no reason to doubt what you are saying, however for weddings and portraits I'm seeing a higher keeper rate for slow moving subjects in some very low light (6400+), dark churches, first dance etc.

What I will add is that AF fine tune is a must with D810, I never needed to adjust my lenses on the D3s, but all of them need tweaking on both of my D810's. For the telephoto lenses it gave the impression they were missing focus/slightly soft when if fact they were front-focusing.

Wow I reckon they called this new camera a Nikon D750 as the D700 is a legend in the Nikon lineup as it gives a good name after the Nikon D6xx horror story, Makes me laugh they say its a action camera and only shoots 1/4000 maximum, And as Gary said the body is smaller than the D610 which is a joke, that spec just put me straight off, A D800 is the bar minimum I like to you use as its a good size body you can get a grip off, The D750 smaller than the D610 using that on a lens like my 400mm its going to look like something from toy town on the back, I'am going to stick with my current plan which is to change my D3 to a D4 in the future...

Hold on, its smaller!!!! I had assumed it was the same size! FFS!

To be honest I have been waiting on this camera and put off buying a D810 for it. I can't get past the small body though. I tried the D610 etc and hated it straight away and this is even smaller. Looks like I'm going down the D810 route as the D750 will not feel right in my hands and that's an important factor. I often shoot wildlife but even the higher cps doesn't do enough for me.

Do we have any idea how the high ISO performance will. E compared the the D810

Does it really matter what it looks like. How important is aesthetics ? I have a Fuji X-T1 it's small, I have big hands but the IQ is excellent. Is it not the final output that is the critical factor ?

Any new camera will take a while to get used to, just like when you jump in to a new car for the first time, you concentrate on the controls and not the road - as you should be !

It is, and I love my XPro, but remember a 70-200 2.8 is a bit bigger and heavier than the 55-200 on the Fuji! Bigger body would normally mean more controls and better laid out.

While there are people who shot through 'pro glass' on a D40, or D3000, I would argue that most people who buy a £2k body are using 'pro' glass.

Reactions: ST4
To be honest I have been waiting on this camera and put off buying a D810 for it. I can't get past the small body though. I tried the D610 etc and hated it straight away and this is even smaller. Looks like I'm going down the D810 route as the D750 will not feel right in my hands and that's an important factor. I often shoot wildlife but even the higher cps doesn't do enough for me.

Do we have any idea how the high ISO performance will. E compared the the D810

How big is the D6XX to a D5100? I remember when I sold my dads 5100 I hated the size.

You should buy my D4 Joe

The dial is the one thing I dislike about the 5d3 ... I had thought about swinging that way before getting the D800E ... that's NOT the reason I didn't though :D Just think Nikon own in that dept. Regardless of the shoddy updates on bodies they keep shoving out since.

Last edited:
Small body - read enough. Fine if you like that, but I prefer large chunky bodies.

IMO, the D8xx is not a low light camera... and this one isn't going to be one either.
I don't have a particular problem with a mode dial... but a mode dial with "scenes" and "effects" options? I found the dial on previous Nikon's with them (D7000) too easy to inadvertently change but maybe that won't be an issue w/ this one. Personally, I prefer additional buttons to directly access some options I might want to change more frequently than the mode.

I think this will notch in nicely as the D6xx replacement, but it's not what I was hoping for.

Another Nikon epic fail in my eyes.
They don't seem to be bringing anything new to the table, nothing innovative or leading.
This is why I ditched them, got fed up of the constant models.

IMO, the D8xx is not a low light camera... and this one isn't going to be one either.
I don't have a particular problem with a mode dial... but a mode dial with "scenes" and "effects" options? I found the dial on previous Nikon's with them (D7000) too easy to inadvertently change but maybe that won't be an issue w/ this one. Personally, I prefer additional buttons to directly access some options I might want to change more frequently than the mode.

I think this will notch in nicely as the D6xx replacement, but it's not what I was hoping for.

From my very brief interaction with the D810 I would suggest that it's excellent in low light and AF target acquisition is blistering fast. But then again it does share the same Expeed 4 processor and AF system as the DSs.

The D610 I would suggest will be withdrawn from sale shortly as for a little more investment you may as well buy the D750 with a higher specification. It is a clear replacement. Memo to Nikon "good effort but could have done better " all things being equal though it is not a bad specification and will make a very good second body.

From my very brief interaction with the D810 I would suggest that it's excellent in low light and AF target acquisition is blistering fast. But then again it does share the same Expeed 4 processor and AF system as the DSs.
I own the D810 and the D4. I've previously owned the D3/D800 (among others). The D810 seems to be as fast as my D4 in good light... never seems quite as "sure" or "snappy" but any difference in speed is negligible. In lower light it starts to be more apparent that it's not as good. I have no idea why. I'm starting to think it's "RAM" (buffer?) or BUS speed differences between the top models and lower spec cameras.
The D8xx low light noise performance is crap... Yes, it can hold up (for a while) for "the same size" final output, but then why bother?

I think this is probably going to be an excellent "in between" camera that will suit many. There's a lot to like...
But I'm pretty certain the increased ISO range over the D610 was accomplished in the same way they increased the range in the D810... they just added another number to the selections.

The D600/610 isn't, I hope the D750 will be, but I doubt it if they are describing it as a hobbyists camera. The reason I found the comment strange is that a hobbyist would buy a camera labelled as 'pro', but not necessarily the other way round.

According to Nikon UK's Simon Iddon the Nikon D750 is "the ultimate enthusiast-level full-frame camera". Enthusiast photographers are a demanding bunch. They want to be able to shoot all sorts of subjects in a wide variety of situations and get top-notch results.

I
The D8xx low light noise performance is crap... Yes, it can hold up (for a while) for "the same size" final output, but then why bother?

might be worth elaborating on this in the D810 thread, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts why for one. I'm finding the D810 to be better in low light than expected, just not as forgiving as the D3s in terms of exposure.

By the way I'm not saying it's an issue to have a dial / scene mode. All I'm saying is in no way is this a pro body because of it.

On reflection though, I don't think this matters and I think this is a very good camera. You can certainly make some money using it, As I said earlier there are lots of positives.

Really though I'd argue this is more of a Nikon standard than an industry standard, both Canon and Sony sell bodies labelled as "pro" with mode dials(5D's, a900, a99, etc). I'm guessing many event shooters may well preffer to have the mode clearly visable on a dial, especially if you have the presents to cycle though as well.

Perhaps the most significant thing about the camera for me is just how much Nikon packed into it whilst keeping it a similar weight to the D610 and actually smaller in size, FF DSLR with 100% viewfinder, pro AF unit, tilt screen, top LCD, popup flash, wifi and still has a good deep grip.

Last edited:
Im sure this will be a great preforming camera and does have great specs for the most part. The issue is mainly to do with size and the expectation that being in the 7 digit name would be bodied like the d700. When infact its realy the d610 (upgrade to the d600) not the fault fix that the actual d610 was.

As I said I think the notable thing is that whilst the body is smaller the grip doesn't seem to be smaller in terms of depth as the space between it and the lens mount looks significantly deeper than the D610.

I see on WEX Nikon are actually offering a decent bundle with the 24-120mm F/4 at £250 less than separate prices, been a weakness compared to the 6D with 24-105mm that the D600/610 with 24-85mm VR wasn't really that much of a saving.

Last edited:
Christ there's some whinging going on in this thread. All the usual fluff about "oh it's not a pro body". Just what do you do with your camera gear? Do you hammer nails with them or something? I've dropped my D600, taken it to the beach, got it wet in a rainstorm in Thailand and it still hasn't missed a beat.

again, I whole heartedly agree. I'm just wondering why its an issue for one camp, not another.

Some insecure people will hate having a camera with scene modes on it because they feel they don't have a "pro" camera... and as we all know.. pro cameras take better pictures ;)

It's just a ****ing camera. If it does what you want, who gives a **** if it has scene modes. Seriously... some people (sigh).

Whinge whinge whinge, moan, whinge, moan... whine, moan, cry, sob...

FFS... some people will NEVER be happy unless Nikon just faithfully reproduce the bloody D700. This is as close as you're gonna get. Who cares if it has scene modes... who cares if it's a "pro" body anyway. Most people who think it's such a big deal don't actually need a pro body anyway. It will kick the sh1t out of the ancient, outclassed long in the tooth, past it's sell by date, crusty old D700. Get over it.

Get over yourselves. It looks like it will be a superb replacement for a D700. No one will laugh at you for having scene modes. No one gives a toss if you have a pro body or not.

Last edited:
might be worth elaborating on this in the D810 thread, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts why for one. I'm finding the D810 to be better in low light than expected, just not as forgiving as the D3s in terms of exposure.
I've addressed it in other threads such as the D800 vs D800e thread

If you accept that the D810 doesn't have better ISO performance than the earlier versions, just an extra number to select from, then it should make sense.

Basically, in any comparison between a sensor of greater MP's with one of fewer the higher MP camera will fair worse at lower light levels. That's assuming same sensor size and generation (I haven't seen any real sensor/technology improvements in quite a while).

The higher MP camera may compare reasonably well for high ISO noise for the same size print, but it tends to fall behind in DR and color depth (that's part of the "less forgiving" aspect). So all you get from recording all of those pixels and using them at less than 1:1 size is ISO noise performance. IMO, it's not really worth it if you can make other choices.

The D750 will make the same compromises, just to a lesser extent than the D8xx does.

Some insecure people will hate having a camera with scene modes on it because they feel they don't have a "pro" camera... and as we all know.. pro cameras take better pictures ;)

It's just a ****ing camera. If it does what you want, who gives a **** if it has scene modes. Seriously... some people (sigh).

Whinge whinge whinge, moan, whinge, moan... whine, moan, cry, sob...

FFS... some people will NEVER be happy unless Nikon just faithfully reproduce the bloody D700. This is as close as you're gonna get. Who cares if it has scene modes... who cares if it's a "pro" body anyway. Most people who think it's such a big deal don't actually need a pro body anyway. It will kick the sh1t out of the ancient, outclassed long in the tooth, past it's sell by date, crusty old D700. Get over it.

Get over yourselves. It looks like it will be a superb replacement for a D700. No one will laugh at you for having scene modes. No one gives a toss if you have a pro body or not.
David I really think you need to get off the fence and say what you truly mean ;)

David I really think you need to get off the fence and say what you truly mean ;)

Just sick of hearing people moan about every new camera released lately, and I'm sick of hearing people bang no about a "proper" D700 replacement, or a "proper" D300 replacement. The D750 will VASTLY outperform a D700 in every conceivable way... scene modes or not.

Just sick of hearing people moan about every new camera released lately, and I'm sick of hearing people bang no about a "proper" D700 replacement, or a "proper" D300 replacement. The D750 will VASTLY outperform a D700 in every conceivable way... scene modes or not.
I agree the spec looks very good, won't surprise me if it ends up as a bestseller.

I agree the spec looks very good, won't surprise me if it ends up as a bestseller.

If it has scene modes though.... well... that means people at the camera club will laugh at you, because proper photographer don't use them. :)

94% of people who like Heinz beans also like Aldi beans

Back