Nikon D750 & D780

Went to the Highland Wildlife Park on my travels. Got to be one of the most disappointing animal park I have been too.

Went to the Highland Wildlife Park on my travels. Got to be one of the most disappointing animal park I have been too.
We got one here, it's really s***e, nearly all of the animals looked depressed, I mean, there was a Wolf, just one, ffs they are pack animals, one chimp, sits all day alone on a island, he/she looks scabby.
It's a disgusting place and should be closed. I complained by email, no reply sent expected.
Rant over lol

We got one here, it's really s***e, nearly all of the animals looked depressed, I mean, there was a Wolf, just one, ffs they are pack animals, one chimp, sits all day alone on a island, he/she looks scabby.
It's a disgusting place and should be closed. I complained by email, no reply sent expected.
Rant over lol

I took some pics, but going to compile an album to try and show how sad things have become. I know we need to save them, but there has to be a better way.

Longleat was such a better happier looking place.

Well choosing between these 2 bodies is not easy at all!!!

LOL why that I guessing your like the D750 still if you do then keep it don't bother moving to D500 lol.. I love to have both but I just can't.. so D500 it is for me as it doing everything I need

LOL why that I guessing your like the D750 still if you do then keep it don't bother moving to D500 lol.. I love to have both but I just can't.. so D500 it is for me as it doing everything I need

I never disliked my D750... I just had an itch!

Didn't say you didn't like it.. Was just saying if you like it more might as well keep and scratch the itch on the D500 or is there somthing you like on the D500 too pal?

So these are just my brief thoughts and opinions of the D750 vs D500.

Build - both very similar. It has been said that the D500 has superior build quality. Not quite seeing that myself. Both solid, with all doors, latches and covers clicking in to place. The light up buttons are nice on the D500 though. Not 100% sure on the 'nipple'. Not sure if its just this unit, but its not really that responsive IMO. Good idea in theory, but not really any quicker than the D750 method.

The D500 is defiantly the bigger camera, don't let the extra mm here and there make you think its 'around' the same size, its chunky and noticeable bigger in the hand. Obviously you may see this as an advantage or disadvantage. My fingers fitted better on the D500, but the D750 felt better in the hand for some reason.

I think this mode dial is better than buttons. I know its a 'pro' thing, but I think dials are better! The ISO button is in a much better place on the D500, no idea why its taken so long to put it there!

D750 top screen is slimmer - looks better IMO.

D500 has the nicer view finder.

FPS on the D500 is insane! It makes the D750 feel like a slow pig! When you listen to them side by side, I'm sure the FPS on the D750 is wrong - it feels slower!

I can't comment on the IQ or focus system - I haven't tested the D500 at all. Might be a bit cheeky to go out taking a load of photos! (even though this unit is clearly used!).

The D500 is defiantly one mighty camera - it's by far the best DX camera I have handled, but by far the biggest!

It's probably not a reason for discounting a camera... but I am not sure I can live with it's chunky nature, especially when I pick up the D750 straight after.

DX vs FX - meh, I'm sure I could pretty much live with either. But having looked at @snerkler info on DOF, calculations etc. I think FX might have an advantage in most situations.

I was taken in by the focus system and FPS, but not sure that will be enough to take me away from the D750. 2 more days working from home so might just stare at them both for a couple of days before I make my mind up!

Just give it a go mate just try and take a few images while you can as you allowed to return it no matter what so don't let that worry you pal..

I would test it out while you can and then you can decide what you prefer to do pal..

So these are just my brief thoughts and opinions of the D750 vs D500.

Build - both very similar. It has been said that the D500 has superior build quality. Not quite seeing that myself. Both solid, with all doors, latches and covers clicking in to place. The light up buttons are nice on the D500 though. Not 100% sure on the 'nipple'. Not sure if its just this unit, but its not really that responsive IMO. Good idea in theory, but not really any quicker than the D750 method.

The D500 is defiantly the bigger camera, don't let the extra mm here and there make you think its 'around' the same size, its chunky and noticeable bigger in the hand. Obviously you may see this as an advantage or disadvantage. My fingers fitted better on the D500, but the D750 felt better in the hand for some reason.

I think this mode dial is better than buttons. I know its a 'pro' thing, but I think dials are better! The ISO button is in a much better place on the D500, no idea why its taken so long to put it there!

D750 top screen is slimmer - looks better IMO.

D500 has the nicer view finder.

FPS on the D500 is insane! It makes the D750 feel like a slow pig! When you listen to them side by side, I'm sure the FPS on the D750 is wrong - it feels slower!

I can't comment on the IQ or focus system - I haven't tested the D500 at all. Might be a bit cheeky to go out taking a load of photos! (even though this unit is clearly used!).

The D500 is defiantly one mighty camera - it's by far the best DX camera I have handled, but by far the biggest!

It's probably not a reason for discounting a camera... but I am not sure I can live with it's chunky nature, especially when I pick up the D750 straight after.

DX vs FX - meh, I'm sure I could pretty much live with either. But having looked at @snerkler info on DOF, calculations etc. I think FX might have an advantage in most situations.

I was taken in by the focus system and FPS, but not sure that will be enough to take me away from the D750. 2 more days working from home so might just stare at them both for a couple of days before I make my mind up!
Nice little write up. I didn't realise the D500 had a better viewfinder?

You do know you can program the record button as ISO on the D750 don't you? This IMO makes the button layout of the D750 better for me as they've shifted the metering button over to the left on the D500 which isn't good for me as I want all the functions I use a lot in the one side for speed and one handed altering. According to Rookies you can't program the record button on the D500 as the metering function, bit of a faux pas from Nikon IMO.

The FPS on the D750 is slower, it's 6.5fps.

Last edited:
Nice little write up. I didn't realise the D500 had a better viewfinder?

You do know you can program the record button as ISO on the D750 don't you? This IMO makes the button layout of the D750 better for me as they've shifted the metering button over to the left on the D500 which isn't good for me as I want all the functions I use a lot in the one side for speed and one handed altering. According to Rookies you can't program the record button on the D500 as the metering function, bit of a faux pas from Nikon IMO.

I agree maybe there be a firmware update that let us add it to the record button but I doubt it..

Yes the view finder is better I can vouch for that..

Also the AF Spread is lovely too once you get use to the D500 Spread the d750 or any others are just too clutter to middle as I looked at a few yesterday lol always do..

I agree maybe there be a firmware update that let us add it to the record button but I doubt it..

Yes the view finder is better I can vouch for that..
I'm confused how the viewfinder of the D500 is better when it's smaller than the D750?

Yes you right D750 is slightly larger but I think the one in the D500 is clearer.

Yes the viewfinder on the D500 is brighter and sharper than the one on the D750

Last edited:
Yes you right D750 is slightly larger but I think the one in the D500 is clearer.

Yes the viewfinder on the D500 is brighter and sharper than the one on the D750
I've seen conflicting info on viewfinder brightness, some say FF is brighter due to the larger mirror, but some say that high end DX are brighter, either due to the light concentration or aperture if the VF itself. It also appears some of it is subjective and depends on how you look into the viewfinder. I've not used a D500 so can't comment on how I find it ;)

Last edited:
I'm confused how the viewfinder of the D500 is better when it's smaller than the D750?

Let me rephrase that! The round eyepiece is a better design and does not fall off - not the actual viewfinder itself!

It does see brighter than the D750 - or maybe mine just needs a clean!

The AF spread is much better obviously - but I'm still not sold with the nipple thing. In practice it should be excellent, but of all the buttons, this one feels the most fragile.

Let me rephrase that! The round eyepiece is a better design and does not fall off - not the actual viewfinder itself!

The AF spread is much better obviously - but I'm still not sold with the nipple thing. In practice it should be excellent, but of all the buttons, this one feels the most fragile.
Prob why it been returned?? Mine is not fragile at all and it very responsive...

Shame about the nipple, I thought that would be a nice feature on future models, such as the D750 replacement. I hate cheap/fragile feeling buttons and dials.

Shame about the nipple, I thought that would be a nice feature on future models, such as the D750 replacement. I hate cheap/fragile feeling buttons and dials.
Not feeling cheap on mine at all Toby honestly I like it very much indeed

Actually I have both out again (cameras, not nipples) and it feels ok. But it's not really any quicker than using the d-pad. Just in a slightly better position, but not a game changer.

The D760 if it gets released could learn a few tricks from the D500 but when it comes to the D750 it's a tough decision!

Actually I have both out again (cameras, not nipples) and it feels ok. But it's not really any quicker than using the d-pad. Just in a slightly better position, but not a game changer.

The D760 if it gets released could learn a few tricks from the D500 but when it comes to the D750 it's a tough decision!
I pretty much sense you already made your mind up.. D500 going back D750 is your man ;)

I like JJ's comparison.
I have both and two things I would add are firstly that the autofocus of the D500 is much better. Faster and more accurate.
Secondly don't forget lenses.
D500 with 16-80 is similar weight to 750 with 24-85 if you want to use it as a walk around.
My D500 is mostly attached to the 300mm, wildlife and sports are pretty much what it was designed for.
My other point is that in the gloomy UK noise will always be worse with a crop camera than with FF.
Nipple v D pad is a minor thing IMO, I tend to use D pad on both.

@Peter123 I can't comment on AF speed and accuracy so it's good to hear comparisons of both. UK seems to be gloomy 90% of the time these days!

From some of the photos I have seen on this forum I'm not convinced the d500 will be that bad on noise compared to the d750

From some of the photos I have seen on this forum I'm not convinced the d500 will be that bad on noise compared to the d750

This I agree there honestly anything between them for ISO noise and that impressive for a crop

Yeah it's odd as DXO score the D500 much lower but if you look on DPR there's not a lot in it. I downloaded both RAWs and loaded them in LR and imo the D750 was obviously better, slightly less noise which was also less rough, but there wasn't a lot in it. Plus you have to add extra sharpening to the D750 due to the AA filter. That being said the D750 was marginally better. I also downloaded the D810 RAW and after downsampling them all to match the res of the D500 I would say that the D500 is on par with the D810, if not a touch better. Pretty impressive to say the least. HOWEVER, as we know, these tests don't always represent the real world.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

View attachment 93352

One thing to note is that the D500 files are uncompressed so are actually larger than the D750 files.

Yeah it's odd as DXO score the D500 much lower but if you look on DPR there's not a lot in it. I downloaded both RAWs and loaded them in LR and imo the D750 was obviously better, slightly less noise which was also less rough, but there wasn't a lot in it. Plus you have to add extra sharpening to the D750 due to the AA filter. That being said the D750 was marginally better. I also downloaded the D810 RAW and after downsampling them all to match the res of the D500 I would say that the D500 is on par with the D810, if not a touch better. Pretty impressive to say the least. HOWEVER, as we know, these tests don't always represent the real world.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

View attachment 93352

One thing to note is that the D500 files are uncompressed so are actually larger than the D750 files.
Come on Toby get a d500 otherwise I be selling and back to d750 lol. As the information and help you provide are brilliant

Back