Nikon D750 & D780

Come on Toby get a d500 otherwise I be selling and back to d750 lol. As the information and help you provide are brilliant
Happy with my D750 thanks ;) And for the record in no way should my info ever be taken as gospel ;) :LOL:

The focusing on the D500 must be pretty amazing, because my D750 was focusing in an unlit cellar last week. It was that dark I couldn't see what I was photographing until I reviewed the pics on the screen! :LOL:

The focusing on the D500 must be pretty amazing, because my D750 was focusing in an unlit cellar last week. It was that dark I couldn't see what I was photographing until I reviewed the pics on the screen! :LOL:

Yes the Focusing is that good very impress with it indeed. But I just can't get over why d750 keep entering my mind even though am liking this d500 very much.

Took a few indoor pics today using the D750 with 50mm and D500 with 28mm so similar sort of views (ish!) and they produce quite different colours in standard jpeg output. The D750 produces warmer much more pleasing images and the D500 produced more noise but was a tad sharper. This of course maybe all to do with DOF and by far nothing scientific.

I must add that the IQ of the D500 is very impressive for a crop sensor, even at higher ISO. The D750 is better, but not by much. Credit to Nikon for this, it does an amazing job.

Indoors both focus at the same speed and neither hunted at all. Of course the D500 will come in to its own shooting fast moving subjects but that's to be expected.

With primes attached they both feel pretty light but the D750 more compact.

Coming back to size... the D500 is only a couple of mm taller, but this is a deceiving figure. The tallest measurement - the viewfinder hump is where this comes from. The extra size of the D500 comes from the taller sides either side of the viewfinder. So it may be only that bit taller, but the actual amount of camera is more. That why its so hard to go off dimensions online.

The D500 certainly has a more 'pro' look to it, if that's important to you, and as mentioned, the circular view finder is very nice.

The spread of the AF points on the D500 is a huge advantage over the D750. I have often had to frame and recompose on the D750 due to this, especially as the outer points do not pick up focus that great at times.

I have taken some pics of them together so just uploading them... not that its very exciting!

TBH I don't take too much in from that site at all.. They are pretty misleading IMO
Yeah it's odd as DXO score the D500 much lower but if you look on DPR there's not a lot in it. I downloaded both RAWs and loaded them in LR and imo the D750 was obviously better, slightly less noise which was also less rough, but there wasn't a lot in it. Plus you have to add extra sharpening to the D750 due to the AA filter. That being said the D750 was marginally better. I also downloaded the D810 RAW and after downsampling them all to match the res of the D500 I would say that the D500 is on par with the D810, if not a touch better. Pretty impressive to say the least. HOWEVER, as we know, these tests don't always represent the real world.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1312927631284066&y=-0.9790009973890715

View attachment 93352

One thing to note is that the D500 files are uncompressed so are actually larger than the D750 files.

Cough... while the D500 is impressive for DX, I still see around a 1 stop difference.

Rookies you'll sell your D500 and move back soon enough without Tobes.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 09.15.03.png

Last edited:
D500 appeals as the AF is good and the lenses are cheaper. Quality was never going to be as good as the D750

Ok the quality might not be as good as the D750 but it not too far behind at all prob 1 stop and that impressive for a DX and put in the others advantage like faster AF and Shutter speed if needed. I am not saying the D750 is crap it a lovely camera and I could well be back ;) but there are some things on this D500 I am liking too such as the AF spread.. The AF tracking is better IMO but that could be me. I like the OVF on it too and the shutter to close it for Landscape..

I could well sit this out till the new version of the D750 comes along and move back over.. That why It just a body upgrade rather than swapping systems. I am sticking with nikon now I have had my try with different systems and Nikon suits me better

That why It just a body upgrade rather than swapping systems. I am sticking with nikon now I have had my try with different systems and Nikon suits me better

Not with the Sigma 18-35 it isn't, that is a crop sensor lens.

In all honesty I think you need to move away from the forums for a bit, go and enjoy your camera, get the best out of it and take some great shots, you seem to worry to much about what 'other' people think.

Not with the Sigma 18-35 it isn't, that is a crop sensor lens.

In all honesty I think you need to move away from the forums for a bit, go and enjoy your camera, get the best out of it and take some great shots, you seem to worry to much about what 'other' people think.

Yeah it the only Crop Lens Ive got and it the one one I be having... Other are FF lens I be getting from now on... As they will fill the gap i need..

BTW I am sure I read someone there some people have used this sigma lens on FF without much issues..

Yeah it the only Crop Lens Ive got and it the one one I be having... Other are FF lens I be getting from now on... As they will fill the gap i need..

BTW I am sure I read someone there some people have used this sigma lens on FF without much issues..

Yes you can, but there are certain compromises, eg reduced image circle, poor edges, etc.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cJv4

I think many people are losing sight of the fact that the D500 is, (no matter what others might say - IMO), primarily an action sports/wildlife camera, there is a trade-off for the speed and AF that it offers. The D750 on the other hand is more suited to 'general' photography, weddings/portraits etc and excels in that, the D810 excels in landscape and so on ... TBH I can't see the point in comparing as though each were vying against one another for top 'do-it-all' body of the year.

Cough... while the D500 is impressive for DX, I still see around a 1 stop difference.

Rookies you'll sell your D500 and move back soon enough without Tobes.

View attachment 93354
Fair do's, it's obviously subjective but I think everyone agrees the D750 is better, as you'd expect. When I've downloaded the files there's about 1/2 to 2/3 difference, but that could be because as soon as I load into LR it removes chroma noise and just leave luminance noise. I do think it's impressive what Nikon have done though, especially when you compare it against the D810 even after downsampling. I still prefer the advantages of FF for most shooting though (y)

I think many people are losing sight of the fact that the D500 is, (no matter what others might say - IMO), primarily an action sports/wildlife camera, there is a trade-off for the speed and AF that it offers. The D750 on the other hand is more suited to 'general' photography, weddings/portraits etc and excels in that, the D810 excels in landscape and so on ... TBH I can't see the point in comparing as though each were vying against one another for top 'do-it-all' body of the year.

But saying that it doesn't mean the d500 can't do landscape and portraits. Same goes to d750 for doing fast action too. Just one or the other can do it better

Very true, although they're all very good at doing everything imo (y) The comparisons are just to help Andy and try and stop him swapping cameras every 2 minutes ;) :p

But saying that it doesn't mean the d500 can't do landscape and portraits. Same goes to d750 for doing fast action too. Just one or the other can do it better
No, of course but each excels in its own way ... if I wanted to do landscapes primarily I wouldn't chose a D500, I would go for the D810, if I did fast action I wouldn't chose the D750 over the D500, which is designed for that.
I can try to shift a bolt with a pair of pliers but using a spanner makes more sense, even though the pliers excel at twisting wire etc. :)

Here you go, some pointless side by side pics lol

20170110_075542_zpspxa69mqy.jpg

20170110_075551_zpss3j6weay.jpg

20170110_075615_zpsako2nxyi.jpg

20170110_075657_zpscxtknz5a.jpg

Do you like having a deep scratch down your car door?

I look after things I own.

So do I, I don't have any scratches down my car door and I have never scratched an LCD screen on any camera I have ever owned ... I guess if you are prone to scratching your gear then it might be necessary but they are pretty well made :)

Here you go, some pointless side by side pics lol

20170110_075542_zpspxa69mqy.jpg

20170110_075551_zpss3j6weay.jpg

20170110_075615_zpsako2nxyi.jpg

20170110_075657_zpscxtknz5a.jpg

Can see the difference in size.

Both lovely camera just one do better than other at certain things I guess.

So do I, I don't have any scratches down my car door and I have never scratched an LCD screen on any camera I have ever owned ... I guess if you are prone to scratching your gear then it might be necessary but they are pretty well made :)

They are well made, so are phones but accidents happen. Jacket zip etc. The protector is insurance at a very low one off cost.

At the end of the day everyone is happy with their camera bodies most of the time. I'd imagine most of it is just gas. In a ideal world I'd love more bodies to cover every scenario but the other half says otherwise. Haha

I think the question we all want an answer to, is how does the D500 handle screen protectors?!

As it happens I just fitted one before coming on here. I couldn't find a GGS/Larmor one so had to use Fiimi one!:D https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G3NA3K4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will try and give my opinion on the cameras after owning and using the D500, D750 & D810 when the weather clears up and I get a chance to take out the D500. I only had the D500 delivered last Thursday. I have the D810 & D500 at present.

So true Roger as we all have different opinions. After owning the three cameras mentioned, if I only had one option I would choose the D810 for me, you would probably choose the D500, Snerkler for the D750 for the grip & FF over the D500 etc..........It's what fits our needs. Right or wrong I have put some money into the D500 & Sigma 18-35mm & 70-300mm leaving me with the a 16-35mm, 50mm & 100mm for the D810. Next plan is to get a long tele when my health improves and I can handle one for the D500, I'm set-up then until the next bout of GAS returns:D. I'm hoping i can keep both cameras if budget allows.

Last edited:
Too soon ... it won't be off the repairs shelf for a couple of weeks! :D
But they'll have dropped it at least twice transferring it to the shelf :eek:

Back