Nikon D750 & D780

Meet the Foc.....amily, well to be precise, the Mother in-law and now you know she dont look like that Donkey lol
Concentration.JPG
And one of my Nephews
Yum yum 2.JPG

Well someone here did say that some more photos would be better than all that chitchat about comparing the D750 and D500 lol
Thanks for looking

So er, 24 / 28 / 35 / 58 / 85

I feel like I need a 105 and something ultra wide now lol

How similar/different are you finding the 24/28?

Could always chop the 24 in for a 20?
Was about to post to you asking how you getting on done any throughly testing yet mate?

I found it hard choosing between the 24 and 28 to go with 50.

I went 28 in the end as just thought 24 might start to be that little bit too wide.

Intetested to hear Andy's thoughts owning both at same time.

Well I'm glad that 500 talk has finished.. 6 pages later :eek:

Let's talk computers..

I seem to have developed GAS for the new MacBook Pro, but need to remortgage for one! I get grief if I'm sat upstairs out of her reach on the PC processing, I could do the bulk of it in earshot with a MBP. I've got a Dell U2713H hardware calibrated screen plugged into a mini Mac, who uses a laptop to process and what spec.

Let's talk computers..

I seem to have developed GAS for the new MacBook Pro, but need to remortgage for one! I get grief if I'm sat upstairs out of her reach on the PC processing, I could do the bulk of it in earshot with a MBP. I've got a Dell U2713H hardware calibrated screen plugged into a mini Mac, who uses a laptop to process and what spec.

I'm so in need of one too. I have some old 13" Samsung Ultra book with a tiny SSD and external HD. Sorting images in LR is painful!

Let's talk computers..

Strangely I've just been pricing up the new MBP but the lack of SD card slot and standard USB ports puts me off, and apparently the new keyboard is a bit marmite. I'm tempted to go for the 2015 model.

Strangely I've just been pricing up the new MBP but the lack of SD card slot and standard USB ports puts me off, and apparently the new keyboard is a bit marmite. I'm tempted to go for the 2015 model.

Yes I am not too keen on the new MBP either I am so glad I got mine before the new one came out.. I very much prefer the keys.. and I love having all the ports on the machine itself..

Been looking at that too. I do like the idea of the increased colour gamut. Surely you can just get a plugin card reader which wouldn't be too much hassle. My issue Is that I use a USB3 mirrored HDD dock to keep my Lightroom catalogue on so that's its hard wired for speed. I suppose I'd have to have all the WIP on the MPB and transfer when complete but plugging the drives in negates being sat on the sofa faffing. I do have a NAS for additional storage and duplicate storage but it's not quick enough to work with files directly.

Anyway, saving for a wedding and a family holiday this year is probably the kill joy with this GAS..

I got a new desktop PC arriving tomorrow hoping the 32GB sd ram will arrive too, I don't go in for this Dell screen stuff although I see you people are going with it, me I'm just happy to have a large screen.
My old Dell inspiron 531 is starting to fail after nearly 9 years, served me well. Maybe I'll post some photos of the new PC,maybe I won't.

Been looking at that too. I do like the idea of the increased colour gamut. Surely you can just get a plugin card reader which wouldn't be too much hassle. My issue Is that I use a USB3 mirrored HDD dock to keep my Lightroom catalogue on so that's its hard wired for speed. I suppose I'd have to have all the WIP on the MPB and transfer when complete but plugging the drives in negates being sat on the sofa faffing. I do have a NAS for additional storage and duplicate storage but it's not quick enough to work with files directly.

Anyway, saving for a wedding and a family holiday this year is probably the kill joy with this GAS..
Yes you can get adapters, but not exactly user friendly. It's a step backwards rather than forwards IMO. I don't have a single device, external HDD or memory stick with the thunderbolt/USB-C port so literally everything I use with it would need an adapter.

I got a Dell xps l501x of here just before Xmas upgraded the ram to 8 gig all in cost me just over 200 quid. Runs ps and lr. The only downside is after using mine Ips dell screen you can tell the difference in quality. But if I was going new I would get the new xps over a mbp.

I got a Dell xps l501x of here just before Xmas upgraded the ram to 8 gig all in cost me just over 200 quid. Runs ps and lr. The only downside is after using mine Ips dell screen you can tell the difference in quality. But if I was going new I would get the new xps over a mbp.
Don't like windows :p

I got a new desktop PC arriving tomorrow hoping the 32GB sd ram will arrive too, I don't go in for this Dell screen stuff although I see you people are going with it, me I'm just happy to have a large screen.
My old Dell inspiron 531 is starting to fail after nearly 9 years, served me well. Maybe I'll post some photos of the new PC,maybe I won't.

The Dell Ultrasharps are the cheapest Matte finish IPS panels with a white LED backlight, they're great for photography.

The new macbooks even have the SSD soldered in. Hilarious that they're still seen as being good at design.

The Dell Ultrasharps are the cheapest Matte finish IPS panels with a white LED backlight, they're great for photography.

The new macbooks even have the SSD soldered in. Hilarious that they're still seen as being good at design.
They're good at fleecing you that's for sure :rolleyes:

In recent years all of Apples recent designs seem to be designed to stop users upgrading parts. I have a late 2013 iMac and the hard drive is starting to be limiting. I've only got around 100gb free on a 1tb internal drive. The screen is glue in with adhesive strips and it needs to be removed to change the internal hard drive. It's not a job I feel comfortable doing myself and I'm wondering if it's cost effective too. The other option is to use external hard drives but the 4 USBs soon fill up with potential 3 external hard drives and a graphics tablet.

Over the last year Ive been running a dual iMac/MacBook Pro setup. I kept this years RAWs on an external drive along with the LR catalogue file as it made swapping between the two easy, the previous 4 years RAWs were kept archived on the iMac and only visible on the iMac. Sitting on the sofa doing bits is nice but just felt I would rather be using the large iMac screen than a small 13 inch screen. I'm thinking of letting the MacBook Pro go as I'm not using it enough and running 4 external hard drives on the iMac will be impossible with a graphics tablet too. I need to decide on a way to free up space on the iMac internal hard drive, the problem being the RAW files make up 850GB of the 900GB currently used. It seems the only way is to move them onto a bigger hard drive. External hard drives just seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution compared to others. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

This is my setup for the new PC
Box

Thermaltake core v31

Mother board
ASRock FM2A88x-Killer

Processor
AMD A10-7860K (3.6Ghz) Black edition

Processor fan
Thermaltake Riing silent 12

Main power
Corsair Builder series V5 450

Fans
Corsair LED fans x 2 Blue leds AF120

SD Ram
Ballistix sport 4 x 8gb DDR3 (1600mhz cl9) 32 GB total

I guess that should run ok for a while.

Thought I'd try the D750 and 85mm f1.8G out with my dog again.

Can't believe the quality of this combo.

Rosie 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr
Thats a really nice shot and it also is nice to see that your dog has a nice shiny coat which I think helps boost this shot.

In recent years all of Apples recent designs seem to be designed to stop users upgrading parts. I have a late 2013 iMac and the hard drive is starting to be limiting. I've only got around 100gb free on a 1tb internal drive. The screen is glue in with adhesive strips and it needs to be removed to change the internal hard drive. It's not a job I feel comfortable doing myself and I'm wondering if it's cost effective too. The other option is to use external hard drives but the 4 USBs soon fill up with potential 3 external hard drives and a graphics tablet.

Over the last year Ive been running a dual iMac/MacBook Pro setup. I kept this years RAWs on an external drive along with the LR catalogue file as it made swapping between the two easy, the previous 4 years RAWs were kept archived on the iMac and only visible on the iMac. Sitting on the sofa doing bits is nice but just felt I would rather be using the large iMac screen than a small 13 inch screen. I'm thinking of letting the MacBook Pro go as I'm not using it enough and running 4 external hard drives on the iMac will be impossible with a graphics tablet too. I need to decide on a way to free up space on the iMac internal hard drive, the problem being the RAW files make up 850GB of the 900GB currently used. It seems the only way is to move them onto a bigger hard drive. External hard drives just seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution compared to others. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

The only way is to have an external setup really Rob. I have two 3TB drives in RAID0 in an icydock, works great. You could get a thunderbolt case to free up those USB's or a USB 8 way hub to keep the cost down on the cases. I only keep the operating system on my mini Mac to optimise speed. I also back everything up to the NAS for further redundancy and occasionally dump all my Lightroom files with back ups onto an external drive that I keep away from the house.depends how much storage you need. I used to keep films which created issues with overall storage but now stream so only music and photos amounts to about 2TB at the moment.

PS. You shouldn't need multiple externals using those USB's, surely you can buy either larger drives or daisy chain together?

Last edited:
I must say I'm a complete convert, they are far more bombproof IMHO, but you pay through the nose for them. Both will do the job and so it's all subjective.
With the mac books and desk tops I think you pay over the odds for what's inside and the ability to upgrade easily and with your choice just seems harder.
With the phones it's the fact everything has to go through iTunes.
Maybe it's just my tinfoil hat and big brother watching you [emoji6] [emoji3]

Back