Nikon D750 & D780

In recent years all of Apples recent designs seem to be designed to stop users upgrading parts. I have a late 2013 iMac and the hard drive is starting to be limiting. I've only got around 100gb free on a 1tb internal drive. The screen is glue in with adhesive strips and it needs to be removed to change the internal hard drive. It's not a job I feel comfortable doing myself and I'm wondering if it's cost effective too. The other option is to use external hard drives but the 4 USBs soon fill up with potential 3 external hard drives and a graphics tablet.

Over the last year Ive been running a dual iMac/MacBook Pro setup. I kept this years RAWs on an external drive along with the LR catalogue file as it made swapping between the two easy, the previous 4 years RAWs were kept archived on the iMac and only visible on the iMac. Sitting on the sofa doing bits is nice but just felt I would rather be using the large iMac screen than a small 13 inch screen. I'm thinking of letting the MacBook Pro go as I'm not using it enough and running 4 external hard drives on the iMac will be impossible with a graphics tablet too. I need to decide on a way to free up space on the iMac internal hard drive, the problem being the RAW files make up 850GB of the 900GB currently used. It seems the only way is to move them onto a bigger hard drive. External hard drives just seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution compared to others. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.
I have the last of the MBP's you can Chang the hard drive but I think it's on its last legs hence me looking at upgrading. However I'm in the same boat as keep running out of room on a 1tb drive and apple want a grand to upgrade the new ones from 1tb to 2tb. A chuffin grand, talk about having your pants down :mad:

The only way is to have an external setup really Rob. I have two 3TB drives in RAID0 in an icydock, works great. You could get a thunderbolt case to free up those USB's or a USB 8 way hub to keep the cost down on the cases. I only keep the operating system on my mini Mac to optimise speed. I also back everything up to the NAS for further redundancy and occasionally dump all my Lightroom files with back ups onto an external drive that I keep away from the house.depends how much storage you need. I used to keep films which created issues with overall storage but now stream so only music and photos amounts to about 2TB at the moment.

PS. You shouldn't need multiple externals using those USB's, surely you can buy either larger drives or daisy chain together?
At the moment I'm using portable hard drives. They are setup as 500GB for this years images to swap between desktop and laptop, 1TB for time machine backup and 2TB to backup 500GB external and 1TB iMac internal hard drive using carbon copy cloner. I'm thinking I could scrap the 500gb drive by only using the iMac, reuse the 2TB portable drive for 'archived RAWs' and get two 2/3TB portable drives to act as the CCC backup. I can keep one off site as I current only have final jpegs stored on my website if the worse was to happen.

I was looking at what I could use for 'archived RAWs', the raid drives look like a great setup and 3-4TB would last me years. At the moment it's looking at costs of doing this, getting two right sized portable hard drives could really be all I need at present. I don't have any off site backups and they I could replace the 2TB drive later with something better and maybe raid 0 too. Anything with Thunderbolt just seems to be so expensive for what it is.

Losing 5 years of RAWs and my whole LR library if we got broken into isnt worth thinking about. For a while I've thought it wouldn't be a problem but a few week ago my LR catalogue got screwed up and I had to using the backup to restore. Having nearly lost stuff I've changed my mind.

With the mac books and desk tops I think you pay over the odds for what's inside and the ability to upgrade easily and with your choice just seems harder.
With the phones it's the fact everything has to go through iTunes.
Maybe it's just my tinfoil hat and big brother watching you [emoji6] [emoji3]
I can understand that, it does seem expensive for what they are and as I'm finding upgrading/adding a hard drive isn't so easy.

I've never brought an apple product new, I've always purchased from people upgrading so I've not really paid much more than I would have on a PC. One of my reasons to get an iMac was size and space, another was my PC was starting to slow down. The wife went to see me more in the evenings and not sitting in the spare room, but didn't want a PC tower and screen in the living/dining room. An iMac was a compromise as it's just a screen and she's happier too. I'm not too cmputer minded, I just want something that works. The compatibility between phone, tablet and desktop is good, it's the little things like shared calendar, notes etc that make it easier.

Last edited:
Thats a really nice shot and it also is nice to see that your dog has a nice shiny coat which I think helps boost this shot.
Thanks Graham.
I'm enjoying the D750. The studio lights have made a big difference to my photography. I don't see any reason to upgrade from the D750. It's got all the mp I'll ever need. I'm getting good marks at the camera club competitions with shots taken on the D700.

At the moment I'm using portable hard drives. They are setup as 500GB for this years images to swap between desktop and laptop, 1TB for time machine backup and 2TB to backup 500GB external and 1TB iMac internal hard drive using carbon copy cloner. I'm thinking I could scrap the 500gb drive by only using the iMac, reuse the 2TB portable drive for 'archived RAWs' and get two 2/3TB portable drives to act as the CCC backup. I can keep one off site as I current only have final jpegs stored on my website if the worse was to happen.

I was looking at what I could use for 'archived RAWs', the raid drives look like a great setup and 3-4TB would last me years. At the moment it's looking at costs of doing this, getting two right sized portable hard drives could really be all I need at present. I don't have any off site backups and they I could replace the 2TB drive later with something better and maybe raid 0 too. Anything with Thunderbolt just seems to be so expensive for what it is.

Losing 5 years of RAWs and my whole LR library if we got broken into isnt worth thinking about. For a while I've thought it wouldn't be a problem but a few week ago my LR catalogue got screwed up and I had to using the backup to restore. Having nearly lost stuff I've changed my mind.

The only niggle in my system is the off site drive which I keep at a family members, I probably only update it every 6 months or when I have something really important.

I looked into a thunderbolt housing but the extra I couldn't justify. Must say that USB3 is absolutely fine to work with, I don't notice any lag whatsoever. If it were me, I'd use your 2TB external for a complete back up for off site and add another when the time comes; and have 2 x 3 or 4TB HDD's mirrored in a USB enclosure. Decent Hitachi drives are about £125 a piece and £100 for the enclosure, that should futureproof you for a while.

The only niggle in my system is the off site drive which I keep at a family members, I probably only update it every 6 months or when I have something really important.

I looked into a thunderbolt housing but the extra I couldn't justify. Must say that USB3 is absolutely fine to work with, I don't notice any lag whatsoever. If it were me, I'd use your 2TB external for a complete back up for off site and add another when the time comes; and have 2 x 3 or 4TB HDD's mirrored in a USB enclosure. Decent Hitachi drives are about £125 a piece and £100 for the enclosure, that should futureproof you for a while.
I will have a look into that. i was looking at that previously, it does make sense to do it. I think I'm going to have to do both to really sort out the storage properly.

I must say I'm a complete convert, they are far more bombproof IMHO, but you pay through the nose for them. Both will do the job and so it's all subjective.

Have to agree here. I too have a humble Mac Mini and it suits my needs perfectly. I'm hoping to get my hands on a late 2012 i7 model. They're still fetching top dollar though.

I'm getting good marks at the camera club competitions with shots taken on the D700.

That's because they're scoring you as opposed to your gear. You're they guy who clicks the shutter.

I've not shared these on this thread, I thought I would try Black and White with some Puffins.

B&W Puffin by -Rob'81-

B&W Puffin by -Rob'81-

Love #1, works really well. The other not so much imo.

Have to agree here. I too have a humble Mac Mini and it suits my needs perfectly. I'm hoping to get my hands on a late 2012 i7 model. They're still fetching top dollar.

Yup, tis the version I have. Got lucky with it before they ruined them with soldered ram. I spent about £80 to upgrade the RAM at the time to 16GB, apple wanted £240..

I can understand that, it does seem expensive for what they are and as I'm finding upgrading/adding a hard drive isn't so easy.

I've never brought an apple product new, I've always purchased from people upgrading so I've not really paid much more than I would have on a PC. One of my reasons to get an iMac was size and space, another was my PC was starting to slow down. The wife went to see me more in the evenings and not sitting in the spare room, but didn't want a PC tower and screen in the living/dining room. An iMac was a compromise as it's just a screen and she's happier too. I'm not too cmputer minded, I just want something that works. The compatibility between phone, tablet and desktop is good, it's the little things like shared calendar, notes etc that make it easier.
If I ever got one this would be the only reason. But seeing as I have the xps laptop now. I'm happy with that at the min for the few photos I take.

If I was going to spend Apple money on a new machine, it'd be a Microsoft Surface Studio, now there's some innovation!

I had an old 2011 MBP. Upgraded the RAM and the HD to an SSD about 12 months ago and it gave it a new lease of life - for day to day stuff.

For ps and lr though it definitely showed its age, so I sold it and "reluctantly" built myself a windows box.

I do love the Apple ecosystem, but for the price of the lowest spec MacBook I was able to build a more than capable PC. Is a PITA having to go upstairs to use it, though.

No doubt I'll have another mbp before the years through. :D

Mac OS used to be a lot more stable than windows back in the day, these days windows only crashes if you do something stupid... which also applies to Mac OS.

The imacs are decent vfm because of the good screens, the rest meh, overpriced. Soldered stuff is a p take across the industry.

I had an old 2011 MBP. Upgraded the RAM and the HD to an SSD about 12 months ago and it gave it a new lease of life - for day to day stuff.

For ps and lr though it definitely showed its age, so I sold it and "reluctantly" built myself a windows box.

I do love the Apple ecosystem, but for the price of the lowest spec MacBook I was able to build a more than capable PC. Is a PITA having to go upstairs to use it, though.

No doubt I'll have another mbp before the years through. :D

If you run win10 Pro on it, you can use another PC to remote control the desktop over the RDP protocol. That's what I do if I want to edit something from the sofa.

Mac OS used to be a lot more stable than windows back in the day, these days windows only crashes if you do something stupid... which also applies to Mac OS.

The imacs are decent vfm because of the good screens, the rest meh, overpriced. Soldered stuff is a p take across the industry.
IMO, apple are getting worse in this regard. With every new iphone I get there's more and more glitches, likewise with every new OS. Nothing major, but one of the reasons I always preferred apple over Android and Windows was how polished they were, and how smooth scrolling was etc etc. I would say it's probably the other way around now with Android vs iPhone. That' being said when I complain and show my wife how my iPhone sometimes stutters when I scroll she can't even see it so it's probably just another case of me being overly picky :LOL:

I've had that strange black frame 'Err' thing again.

Press shutter button, clunk, nothing. Switch off and on, nothing. Press shutter button again, clunk and all is good. :thinking:

It's as if the mirror goes up and sticks.

IMO, apple are getting worse in this regard. With every new iphone I get there's more and more glitches, likewise with every new OS. Nothing major, but one of the reasons I always preferred apple over Android and Windows was how polished they were, and how smooth scrolling was etc etc. I would say it's probably the other way around now with Android vs iPhone. That' being said when I complain and show my wife how my iPhone sometimes stutters when I scroll she can't even see it so it's probably just another case of me being overly picky :LOL:

That's my experience too.. a few years ago my wife made me get an iPhone after chucking my Android jobby across the room in a fit a pique. For my next phone I'll be going back the other way.

.. and don't get my started on the constant iOS firmware update nags..

I use a windows laptop too for work and Mac OS just works better. I hate the constant updates with windows that shuts everything down for an eternity. Most windows machines become too slow after 4 years, seem to get longer with Mac OS systems in my experience.

I use a windows laptop too for work and Mac OS just works better. I hate the constant updates with windows that shuts everything down for an eternity. Most windows machines become too slow after 4 years, seem to get longer with Mac OS systems in my experience.

Your work laptop must be very slow. I think the only update that's taken a while since windows 10 came out was the anniversary update... which was like a "new" mac os. Noticed how new version's of osx are being churned out more frequently.... that's because they are piling the updates into a new and "improved" osx.

I'm also dual platform so I haven't got a preference, I like both OS but people wonder why they're 5 yr old laptop that cost 300 quid is slower than their new mbp that cost 1500... it's funny that.

Tried the new Touch bar MBP this lunchtime. I like the "marmite" keyboard except for the fact it's noisy. The touch bar looks to be a bit gimmicky, although when having it for a while it may prove useful. Larger trackpad is nice, and I wouldn't miss the force touch as never had it anyway. Lack of SD slot and USB ports is annoying but oh that screen. I thought the old retina screen was nice but the new one :love:

Tried the new Touch bar MBP this lunchtime. I like the "marmite" keyboard except for the fact it's noisy. The touch bar looks to be a bit gimmicky, although when having it for a while it may prove useful. Larger trackpad is nice, and I wouldn't miss the force touch as never had it anyway. Lack of SD slot and USB ports is annoying but oh that screen. I thought the old retina screen was nice but the new one :love:
I looked at that one before Xmas in curry's. It definitely was an expensive gimmick.
No denying the screen was very nice indeed.
Is it worth the price tag.............. never in a month of Sundays

If you run win10 Pro on it, you can use another PC to remote control the desktop over the RDP protocol. That's what I do if I want to edit something from the sofa.
But dont that mean you need to have the other PC on/always on or whatever :confused: I never did see the point of having a PC on all day and not using it directly, but if it was a works PC and they was paying the leccy then there no problem.

But dont that mean you need to have the other PC on/always on or whatever :confused: I never did see the point of having a PC on all day and not using it directly, but if it was a works PC and they was paying the leccy then there no problem.

You just set it to Wake on Lan, so it wakes up when you send the RDP request and hibernates other than that

I looked at that one before Xmas in curry's. It definitely was an expensive gimmick.
No denying the screen was very nice indeed.
Is it worth the price tag.............. never in a month of Sundays
Are any apple products worth their price? They're as bad as Canon and Sony camera bodies ;) :p

You just set it to Wake on Lan, so it wakes up when you send the RDP request and hibernates other than that
Ah I didnt think of that, My o/h has a PC as a server so her father can use it to do accounts, I`ll mention it as i`m a bit peed off at being out and the PC being on = waste of leccy.

Back