1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    At the moment I'm using portable hard drives. They are setup as 500GB for this years images to swap between desktop and laptop, 1TB for time machine backup and 2TB to backup 500GB external and 1TB iMac internal hard drive using carbon copy cloner. I'm thinking I could scrap the 500gb drive by only using the iMac, reuse the 2TB portable drive for 'archived RAWs' and get two 2/3TB portable drives to act as the CCC backup. I can keep one off site as I current only have final jpegs stored on my website if the worse was to happen.

I was looking at what I could use for 'archived RAWs', the raid drives look like a great setup and 3-4TB would last me years. At the moment it's looking at costs of doing this, getting two right sized portable hard drives could really be all I need at present. I don't have any off site backups and they I could replace the 2TB drive later with something better and maybe raid 0 too. Anything with Thunderbolt just seems to be so expensive for what it is.

Losing 5 years of RAWs and my whole LR library if we got broken into isnt worth thinking about. For a while I've thought it wouldn't be a problem but a few week ago my LR catalogue got screwed up and I had to using the backup to restore. Having nearly lost stuff I've changed my mind.

2. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can understand that, it does seem expensive for what they are and as I'm finding upgrading/adding a hard drive isn't so easy.

I've never brought an apple product new, I've always purchased from people upgrading so I've not really paid much more than I would have on a PC. One of my reasons to get an iMac was size and space, another was my PC was starting to slow down. The wife went to see me more in the evenings and not sitting in the spare room, but didn't want a PC tower and screen in the living/dining room. An iMac was a compromise as it's just a screen and she's happier too. I'm not too cmputer minded, I just want something that works. The compatibility between phone, tablet and desktop is good, it's the little things like shared calendar, notes etc that make it easier.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    kingo15 likes this.
  3. GreenNinja67

GreenNinja67

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Graham.
    I'm enjoying the D750. The studio lights have made a big difference to my photography. I don't see any reason to upgrade from the D750. It's got all the mp I'll ever need. I'm getting good marks at the camera club competitions with shots taken on the D700.

Graham and juggler like this.
  4. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The only niggle in my system is the off site drive which I keep at a family members, I probably only update it every 6 months or when I have something really important.

I looked into a thunderbolt housing but the extra I couldn't justify. Must say that USB3 is absolutely fine to work with, I don't notice any lag whatsoever. If it were me, I'd use your 2TB external for a complete back up for off site and add another when the time comes; and have 2 x 3 or 4TB HDD's mirrored in a USB enclosure. Decent Hitachi drives are about £125 a piece and £100 for the enclosure, that should futureproof you for a while.

5. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Paulie-W, Graham, juggler and 4 others like this.
  6. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
  7. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I will have a look into that. i was looking at that previously, it does make sense to do it. I think I'm going to have to do both to really sort out the storage properly.

Livin The Dream likes this.
  8. phil_b

phil_b

Name:
    Philip
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I liked Casey Neistats review of the new MacBook

View: https://youtu.be/7QpJ_VDbIPA

9. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have to agree here. I too have a humble Mac Mini and it suits my needs perfectly. I'm hoping to get my hands on a late 2012 i7 model. They're still fetching top dollar though.

That's because they're scoring you as opposed to your gear. You're they guy who clicks the shutter.

Love #1, works really well. The other not so much imo.

10. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yup, tis the version I have. Got lucky with it before they ruined them with soldered ram. I spent about £80 to upgrade the RAM at the time to 16GB, apple wanted £240..

11. T_J_G

T_J_G

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  12. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I just have the i5 model but I've upped the RAM and it has both a SSD and HDD. I can't say I've found it wanting, it's performed admirably, having the SSD is a big big improvement. But me being me wants the 2.8ghz i7 quad. :D

snerkler likes this.
  13. kingo15

kingo15

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  14. kingo15

kingo15

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If I ever got one this would be the only reason. But seeing as I have the xps laptop now. I'm happy with that at the min for the few photos I take.

15. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If I was going to spend Apple money on a new machine, it'd be a Microsoft Surface Studio, now there's some innovation!

juggler likes this.
  16. Chuckoir

Chuckoir

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I had an old 2011 MBP. Upgraded the RAM and the HD to an SSD about 12 months ago and it gave it a new lease of life - for day to day stuff.

For ps and lr though it definitely showed its age, so I sold it and "reluctantly" built myself a windows box.

I do love the Apple ecosystem, but for the price of the lowest spec MacBook I was able to build a more than capable PC. Is a PITA having to go upstairs to use it, though.

No doubt I'll have another mbp before the years through. :D

17. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Mac OS used to be a lot more stable than windows back in the day, these days windows only crashes if you do something stupid... which also applies to Mac OS.

The imacs are decent vfm because of the good screens, the rest meh, overpriced. Soldered stuff is a p take across the industry.

18. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you run win10 Pro on it, you can use another PC to remote control the desktop over the RDP protocol. That's what I do if I want to edit something from the sofa.

kingo15 likes this.
  19. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just doing my occasional visit to this thread to check that the world hasn't ended and the thread is still rumbling on :)
    D500, D500, D500, D500,... nope, wrong thread :D

Here's an aerialist in latex dangling by her elbow from a hoop.

[​IMG]
    Maja 16/4
    by Simon Carter, on Flickr

daygo30, sep9001, Paulie-W and 11 others like this.
  20. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    IMO, apple are getting worse in this regard. With every new iphone I get there's more and more glitches, likewise with every new OS. Nothing major, but one of the reasons I always preferred apple over Android and Windows was how polished they were, and how smooth scrolling was etc etc. I would say it's probably the other way around now with Android vs iPhone. That' being said when I complain and show my wife how my iPhone sometimes stutters when I scroll she can't even see it so it's probably just another case of me being overly picky :LOL:

21. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That's unlike you. :D

How come you're selling your Fuji?

22. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've had that strange black frame 'Err' thing again.

Press shutter button, clunk, nothing. Switch off and on, nothing. Press shutter button again, clunk and all is good. :thinking:

It's as if the mirror goes up and sticks.

23. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's the shutter issue. Where have you been for the past 479 pages?

kingo15 and Chuckoir like this.
  24. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's my experience too.. a few years ago my wife made me get an iPhone after chucking my Android jobby across the room in a fit a pique. For my next phone I'll be going back the other way.

.. and don't get my started on the constant iOS firmware update nags..

snerkler likes this.
  25. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That is stunning :)

juggler likes this.
  26. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Simply awesome Simon!

juggler likes this.
  27. Livin The Dream

Livin The Dream

Name:
    Kris
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I use a windows laptop too for work and Mac OS just works better. I hate the constant updates with windows that shuts everything down for an eternity. Most windows machines become too slow after 4 years, seem to get longer with Mac OS systems in my experience.

snerkler likes this.
  28. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No
    Your work laptop must be very slow. I think the only update that's taken a while since windows 10 came out was the anniversary update... which was like a "new" mac os. Noticed how new version's of osx are being churned out more frequently.... that's because they are piling the updates into a new and "improved" osx.

I'm also dual platform so I haven't got a preference, I like both OS but people wonder why they're 5 yr old laptop that cost 300 quid is slower than their new mbp that cost 1500... it's funny that.

29. twist

twist

Edit My Images:
    No

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  30. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Tried the new Touch bar MBP this lunchtime. I like the "marmite" keyboard except for the fact it's noisy. The touch bar looks to be a bit gimmicky, although when having it for a while it may prove useful. Larger trackpad is nice, and I wouldn't miss the force touch as never had it anyway. Lack of SD slot and USB ports is annoying but oh that screen. I thought the old retina screen was nice but the new one :love:

31. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    thanks folks!

32. kingo15

kingo15

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I looked at that one before Xmas in curry's. It definitely was an expensive gimmick.
    No denying the screen was very nice indeed.
    Is it worth the price tag.............. never in a month of Sundays

snerkler likes this.
  33. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Mostly looking at the pictures.:)

I'd better trade the D750 in for a D500 now.

Chuckoir and kingo15 like this.
  34. Graham

Graham

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    But dont that mean you need to have the other PC on/always on or whatever :confused: I never did see the point of having a PC on all day and not using it directly, but if it was a works PC and they was paying the leccy then there no problem.

35. KitsuneAndy

KitsuneAndy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You just set it to Wake on Lan, so it wakes up when you send the RDP request and hibernates other than that

36. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Are any apple products worth their price? They're as bad as Canon and Sony camera bodies ;) :p

37. Graham

Graham

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah I didnt think of that, My o/h has a PC as a server so her father can use it to do accounts, I`ll mention it as i`m a bit peed off at being out and the PC being on = waste of leccy.

38. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes, do it now.

Right now.

39. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hmmm. It's a toss up between a D500 and a Df. Do I really need a camera that focusses superfast?

Chuckoir, Graham and T_J_G like this.
  40. minnnt

minnnt

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not for the kind of parp you photograph. :D

Chuckoir likes this.