Nikon D750 & D780

What puts you off the 135 DC then Tim? It's a lens I've been thinking about for the last few months and I'd be interested in your views.

What puts you off the 135 DC then Tim? It's a lens I've been thinking about for the last few months and I'd be interested in your views.

It's a bit too long in the tooth for me. The main problem seems to be the chromatic aberrations compared to newer lens. They are apparently difficult to remove from it. I had the canon version and that was stellar, it is a lens that is in need of an update.

Few more p*** take I see !!!!!!

The way it looks :whistle:

On a serious note, for me I think it'd be too long and it's only F2. And if I was to get (and had enough money) to get a longer lens it would have to be the 105 1.4, the look it gives is like no other lens, well other than the £4k 200/2.

Me too! It's a fab lens but now I have the 24-85 I may sell it.

Mark, don't discount the Nikon 1.8, it performs incredibly well and the colours are beaut.

I originally got it to try the 35mm focal length as didn't want to cart around the 24-70 and it was cheap. It's produced decent results and works well with the body. Others like the Sigma or 1.8 35 Nikon but can't justify the increase in £ for home use.

Only issue is the OH won't touch the kit so thinking long and hard about a family camera that can shoot higher ISO with the correct shutter speed and be simple for them to use so atleast we are all in the 'action'!

I have had both the 35mm f1.8g ED and 35mm f1.4g. Liked them both!

Both nice shots, I'm not an expert, but I do like number 1.
Nice, never thought I'd like a photo of an electricity pylon ;) 2nd is my favourite of the two.
I have a strange fascination for exactly this type of picture. Nicely done!
#2 is far the best shot here. The orientation is perfect and the contrast is more subdued.

Thanks guys. I think I prefer the landscape orientation myself. I have a few more from the same morning that I must look at.

Something a bit different, still not sure whether I like these style of shots but had to I've it a go when I had the opportunity. Client loved them, my Mrs really doesn't like them!

Something a bit different... by Tim G, on Flickr

I'm for them Tim. I had another go with the last wedding but they weren't as good as the last one I did a couple of years ago. Need to work on technique. I did end up pre focussing and shooting from the hip in the end and those came out better than eying up from the VF.

Last wedding was this, not so great..

31336405163_3c903a01e4_b.jpg

18 months ago got seemed to work better..

24104810565_96f8b639bd_b.jpg

24022228831_c04b91dbe5_b.jpg

24104808765_500e2b202e_b.jpg

I just focussed on rough distance and as shooting quite a small aperture focus was ok. Around 1 second I think from memory shutter.

Something a bit different, still not sure whether I like these style of shots but had to I've it a go when I had the opportunity. Client loved them, my Mrs really doesn't like them!

Something a bit different... by Tim G, on Flickr

How do you do this type of shot Tim? Is it a case of moving around and letting the flash freeze the motion of your subject?

@teejay73 what @minnnt said! Long enough shutter to get the ambient to trail, then rear curtain sync flash straight at them, not bounced (in TTL) normally. You get about 1 good one to every 10-15 shots because you have to anticipate where they'll be when the exposure stops.

@teejay73 what @minnnt said! Long enough shutter to get the ambient to trail, then rear curtain sync flash straight at them, not bounced (in TTL) normally. You get about 1 good one to every 10-15 shots because you have to anticipate where they'll be when the exposure stops.

Interesting this is. Got my flash tmr too all being well

I may have done that...

I used rear on this:

https://flic.kr/p/B34X2K

But using front would have frozen them where I saw them when I pressed the shutter rather than relying on luck a second or so later. I learnt this afterwards when I posted here as members advised. Makes sense I guess but never had the chance to try it again and don't intend to. ;)

Been using front for reasons above. You can set rear sync in camera but no need for this type of shot.

Take the s*** then move the camera for the effect, its extremely difficult to time the other way around.

Last edited:
Back